Subject: Sleeving en masse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided it might be a good idea to start sleeving my games. However, I'm not entirely sure what the best way is to go about doing so, in terms of quality and price effectiveness. I've collated a list of what types I'd want, vaguely:

450 56x87 mm clear sleeves
700 57.5x89 mm clear sleeves
200 57.5x89 mm opaque sleeves
300 59x92 mm clear sleeves
550 63.5x88 mm clear sleeves

That's if I wanted to sleeve everything. I suppose what I'm most concerned about protecting are Cosmic Encounter (for which I want the opaque sleeves in addition to around 100 clear ones), Mage Knight, 7 Wonders, and Summoner Wars.

What's your advice?

EDIT: Also, should I buy these online, from a FLGS, or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clear standard size sleeves for Mage Knight. Summoner Wars has the double whammy of cards that don't quite fit any sleeves out there, and vary noticeably in size from set to set. I'd just leave those unsleeved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Figure out what sleeves you need and pack 'em onto your next order from CSI or wherever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of SW is done with the newer cards, but some of the old ones are getting reprinted this month or so. There is no "perfect fit" though. Mage Knight I went with these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KMC-PERFECT-SLEEVES-5-PACKS-of-100...

You honestly won't find a better fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
The common advice is to sleeve the cards that would be shuffled a lot of times. As such, I recommend sleeving cards in deck building games, such as Mage Knight.

I would also recommend sleeving cards that are supposed to be laid out on the table for a period of time during play. Summoner Wars would fall into this category.

Come to think of it... the above would mean all cards (sans reference cards) would have to be sleeved...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
EDIT: Also, should I buy these online, from a FLGS, or what?

I do not know how is it in the USA, but over here, I found that the prices differ little between online and FLG stores. Interestingly, prices differ a bit more between FLGSs.

I would recommend carrying a few samples of the cards you want to sleeve and visit an FLGS. Take those cards and use them against the sleeves (if the store would not let you open or offer a sample) to see the fit.

If you are still not sure on the choice, buy one pack of one or more brands and sleeve to experiment. Order more packs from online or the FLGS once you find a fit that you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
What's your advice?

Don't sleeve.

As someone who regularly goes to Meetup boardgame potlucks, I haven't had any problems with unsleeved cards. If I could sleeve my boards so they didn't split, or my boxes so they wouldn't do likewise, yeah, I'd sleeve 'em.

Only exceptions are Magic, because I'm a collector, and Dominion, because the cards get shuffled. I do sleeve cards whose backs cannot be marked for best play, such as the role cards for Citadels. I also sleeve my Race homeworlds so I can easy find them to setup a new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeve the shuffled ones which seem to wear quickly after only a few plays. Games like Memoir '44 don't shuffle all that much (game's usually over on regular-sized maps before I've seen many cards), but Dominion definitely look ruffled up after 5 games.

What I'll never use for play:
Penny sleeves from Ultra-Pro. This is the absolutely worst fit for play. Great for actual storage, though. Very loose at any size.

The regular Mayday sleeves. Splits, variable sizes in all dimensions. I'm at an error rate of 17% with the black-backed ones, which don't shuffle well either. A friend is at a whopping 50% with the clear ones.

What I'm happy with:
At the highest premium end, FFG's sleeves are a perfect fit for their own games, and the LCG size goes well with any other poker-sized card game (Magic etc.).

FFG premium sleeves with pictures. I have a few packs of these for my CoC LCG cards. Also a great fit, at an exorbitant price. But they feel so good…

Mayday Premium clear, at least for Dominion, has been awesome. Slightly flexible, only one misshaped sleeve out of all so far (core, Prosperity, Alchemy, Seaside). Shuffles really well. It's as if two different companies make the regular and premium sleeves.

Ultra-Pro Premium for poker-sized cards. Rigid, solid, and shuffle well. They're sold as two packs of 50 here, and are surprisingly cheap compared to other premium sleeves sold here.

I've also got some other brands I can't identify which were OK, but generally the local store only sells FFG, Ultra-Pro and Mayday. I order most of my Mayday from the US, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.