Subject: Alive 3.0 Gamer-Made Magic Set- Please Check It Out rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alive is a 125-card set designed to be a stand-alone, slight variant Magic experience.

Mechanics

Richard Garfield recently spoke about Netrunner being redone by Fantasy Flight Games. He said that Netrunner beats Magic because Netrunner has bluffing and double guessing, meaning that players aren't sure what to do because they don't know what's in their opponent's hand. While, according to Garfield, Magic cards tell the player what to do, based on what cards the player draws. It would make little difference if both based knew what cards were in each others' hands, reducing Magic to non-stop army versus
luck of the draw.

Alive was engineered to create that sense of double guessing what you should play and what your opponent might have in their hand. Akin to playing with or against a blue deck filled with counter magic, I want
players to know their opponent might have a Spellbomb or a Shrine or a creature pump in their hand. "Do I cast a small creature to bait my opponent into playing that pop card or do I go full force, et cetera,"
It doesn't look like a normal set of cards, but the game situation will
be far more mental and enjoyable than the standard game of: lay down
the mana, play the creature, attack with the creature, wait for combo,
rinse, repeat. Here, it will be, to use the Echo Magnet now or later in
that moment of truth. (The Echo of Magnet picture might be changing. What do you think?)

Theme

Long before the time of dwarves, elves, demons, and angels, the land
lay in wait, like a Pandora's Box of baubles and trinkets to be enjoyed
and abused. A wayfaring, disperate fleet of waring aliens haphazardly
choose this place as their landing site. They militaristically regard
everything in terms of technological efficiency and supremacy. Each
faction is housed by a interstellar ship that, at varying times, settle
on our land. Over time, these aliens begin to be wowed by the natural
technologies available to them. They discover an indigenous race of
aging golems that they quickly enslave, disassemble, and use to refit
themselves for survival and the eminent war of dominace over their
alien counterparts. As the aliens begin to rely upon these natural
technologies, they are fundamentally change and become the
races of mythological creatures we know today. Aliens find powerful
seeing devices in the caverns. Others find hidden weapons in the earth
beneath trees. Some find all-consuming power in the dark places. Some
retreat the depths of the water, while others bravely fight on in the valleys.

The flavor text describes these otherworldy, militaristic aliens coming
to understand their landing site and it's affecting their alien brothers.

Alive could be played in a preconstructed and booster draft format.
Some people feel this is rubbish, while others see it as a pet project to
be enjoyed at my local game store, and some feel that the WOTC Hammer
of Kamigawa will befall me very soon.

Please, please make all the comments you like about what could be revised
because I'm sticking a fork in this project one day. A few of the colors are
a little askew, but they're just discovering the land. And if you feel that
a spell is 'broken,' I've found an exemplar on Gatherer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Poll
Should the Echo Matrix have the Golem's Eye picture or the Shape Anew picture?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Golem's Eye
80.0% 4
Shape Anew
20.0% 1
Voters 5
This poll is now closed.   5 answers
Poll created by CrispyBasket
Closes: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:00 am

Please vote on which picture a Blue +4/+0 until the end of turn instant should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And if anyone's wondering, I'm a thirty-one year old, white, protestant, high school teacher and college instructor in Dallas, Texas, USA, who doesn't report back to school until August 27th, thus all the free time.

I've been working on Alive until 7:30 AM each morning.
At 7:30, I text, "Good morning," to the girl of my dreams,
then sleep from 7:30-11:30AM,
Then get back to work on Alive.

I'd be a killer token in a worker placement game. I do not stop until the job is done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry about the super-odd formatting of lines in that previous post. I'm on an iPhone at the moment and don't have the ability to correct that.

Update: After several well-phrased messages, I've succumbed to raising Myr Retriever's casting cost to 2U. Now, at best, your opponent would pop that in turn three to drop something turn four. However, the pain really starts at five-mana and up, so Myr Retriever would really excel in the mid-to late game when you'd need a formidable defender or 'that' creature that can ultimately be the turning point late in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some white cards say:

"gain control of target creature in a graveyard", I would reword this to: "put target creature from any one graveyard into play under your control"

I think it's needed that it says "put into play", so that it's clear that the creature is moved from the graveyard to the play area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderous golem:

The wording can be interpretet in defferent ways:

- all creatures gain double power. This turn or the following turn? It's clear that they gain haste the next turn, but it's not 100% clear when they gain the double power. (yes,yes, I'm playing devils advocate)

- creatures that come onto play after thunderous golem dies (for instance, during the next turn), do they gain haste/double power?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guten tag. Ich spreche Duetsch. Die kart ist ser gut. Ich festmache die Kart. Danke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Torpor's Orb (red)

"Counter target attack ... no further attacks may be declared."

1. "Counter target attack" is no magic-language at all. It should be "Remove target attacking creature from combat"

2. "No further attacks may be declared": This is not how the rules work.
When a player declares an attack, he declares which creatures attack all at once. It is not possible to declare multiple times: the player says "I attack with these 3 creatures", He cannot declare to attack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But you can help me reword the cards in Englisch. Haha Dankeschön!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispyBasket wrote:
Guten tag. Ich spreche Duetsch. Die kart ist ser gut. Ich festmache die Kart. Danke.
Kein Problem.

But I'm from Belgium and I speak Dutch (not Deutch), I can perfectly understand Deutch, but speaking it is a bit of a problem. But I see the confusion, the Belgian flag id vertcal red yellow black, and the german flag is horizontal RYB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry vreemde vlaggen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman of dominence (black)

? Please clarify?

-When this creaure dies, do I return target creature to owner's hand?

-When this creature dies, do I return (another) target creatre to owners haznd, but does creaure stay alive?

-"... if you choose", shouldn't that be "you may..." ?

This card should be reworded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thematically, when the enchanted creature dies, the evil talisman makes a different creature of the opposing army (player) leave the battlefield (back to that players hand)

The enchanted creauture does die, and the talisman pops a creature to the hand if you choose...'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
Torpor's Orb (red)

"Counter target attack ... no further attacks may be declared."

1. "Counter target attack" is no magic-language at all. It should be "Remove target attacking creature from combat"

"Counter target attack" is used multiple times on your cards.

In normal magic-lingo "an attack" means "the group of creatures that is attacking", but I assume that you mean "a single creature attacking".

What happens when you counter the attack of a creature? It is removed from combat, but does it untap? Since tapping is part of attacking, it wouldn't be strange to untap them when their attack is countered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispyBasket wrote:
Thematically, when the enchanted creature dies, the evil talisman makes a different creature of the opposing army (player) leave the battlefield (back to that players hand)

The enchanted creauture does die, and the talisman pops a creature to the hand if you choose...'

Following the MTG styleguide, It should be written as this:

"when this creature is put into a graveyard from play, you may return target creature to owner's hand"

or (more modern)

"when this creature dies, you may return target creature to owner's hand"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks you so much for your help. My brain has been poisoned by Yu-Gi-Oh, Battletech, Netrunner, and others.

Per 'counter target attack,' wouldn't it be better if the attacking creature remained tapped as a hook to being caught? Are you mentioning Mycosynth Wellspring? Definitely remained tapped; they'll be no defending next turn. Haha That creature is fighting for it's life in a dark pit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
CrispyBasket wrote:

Following the MTG styleguide, It should be written as this:

"when this creature is put into a graveyard from play, you may return target creature to owner's hand"

or (more modern)

"when this creature dies, you may return target creature to owner's hand"

"when this creature dies, you may return target creature to owner's hand."

Always press for modern. Most players today never picked up Fourth Editon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And as for the Thunderous Golem, the whole effect happens on the player's next turn. Thematically, the squad-mates of the fallen Thunderous Golem are enlivened by his demise and rally forth (and possibly with hastened new creatures) for beserked retribution, but their fervor only lasts one game round haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispyBasket wrote:
Per 'counter target attack,' wouldn't it be better if the attacking creature remained tapped as a hook to being caught? Are you mentioning Mycosynth Wellspring? Definitely remained tapped; they'll be no defending next turn.
I agree that it's more fun if they don't untap.

I would reword your counter target attacks like this:

1. -"Remove target attacking creature from combat" (this is how it would be written by WOTC)

2. -"Remove target attacking creature from combat, this creature stays tapped" (just to be really clear)

3. -"Counter target creatures' attack" (this stays close to how you word this)

4. -"Counter target creatures' attack, this creature stays tapped"

I like option 1 the best, option 4. the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Let's go with choice two; many a game-room fight can be averted with just four words for clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispyBasket wrote:
And as for the Thunderous Golem, the whole effect happens on the player's next turn. Thematically, the squad-mates of the fallen Thunderous Golem are enlivened by his demise and rally forth (and possibly with hastened new creatures) for beserked retribution, but their fervor only lasts one game round haha

"When Thunderous Golem dies, during your next turn all your creatures have Haste and Double Strike" *
or
"When Thunderous Golem dies, during your next turn all your creatures have Haste and deal twice the combatdamage they normally would"

Don't just double your creatures power. You're getting into a mess ruleswise. What happens when a 2/2 has an +1/+0 aura on it, the golem dies, you attack during the next turn and cast a +3/+0 instant? How much power does this creature have?

* Double Strike is functionally az bit different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Geert, you're a thoughtful guy. Thank you for all your help, which will lead to many people having fun. Wizards should make a 1/2 Belgian Geert token card, with Threshold: Geert gains +7/+7 and Intimidate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispyBasket wrote:
Let's go with choice two; many a game-room fight can be averted with just four words for clarity.
The difficulty here are Vigilant creatures, they of course are (and stay) untapped.

Also, many people may interpret "this creature stays tapped" as that the creature always stays tapped.

That's why I, and WOTC, prefer option 1.

If you were to go with option 2., it should be worded better (and probably would be rather 10 words than 4)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.