1989: Dawn of Freedom» Forums » General

Subject: Need a confirmation that 1989 is balanced. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dawn of Freedom achieved the impossible- it made Twilight Struggle obsolete for me. I vastly prefer its Support Checks to Coups and Realignment Rolls, I find its positioning much more strategic, prefer the absence of the defcon mechanic, the Power Struggle is incerdibly fun, the game is not as static as TS and the theme is closer to me.

The only thing that is preventing me from giving away TS and buying 1989 is that I haven't played the latter enough (only 7-8 times) to say that it achieves the the nice balance of TS. Dawn of Freedom FEELS balanced, but the communists won consistently so far. On the other hand , we saw two very convincing democratic victories the last time we played. Maybe we are getting better?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
7 plays obsoletes . . . how many?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
7 plays obsoletes . . . how many?

Over 50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1989 is by far the most playtested design I've encountered. It had fully rules enforcing program & 2 year long online (so participants all over the world) competitions with little prizes for those who completed the whole season. The playtest team is almost always (well actually I would guess 12h/day.. the US east hours are the best time to get the match) ready to show how to play other side at wargameroom.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 22 plays, the game certainly feels balanced to me. I feel more comfortable with the Communists, but that's probably because I've played them at about a two to one ratio to the Democrats. I think if you are coming at the game from a Twilight Struggle background it's easy to transfer some strategy that really shouldn't be transferred. The scoring mechanic is really quite different, as well as the way support checks work, not to mention the power of the Democrat events. These changes mean strategy for the two sides is different, that is, it's an asymmetrical game, and what works in Twilight Struggle might not work in 1989.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lubigno Feticcio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only made a few games, but it looks balanced to me.
Compared to Twilight Struggle it seems that victory points move faster and more often, adding a feeling of unbalanment when you switch from almost winning to almost losing.
But as Chris said different strategies are needed from Twilight and from side to side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is very well balanced. In my opinion, a lot of people who have played many many games of twilight struggle are coming into this one with preconceived ideas of what their strategy should be based on what they do in TS (As Qbert points out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.