Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings William!

I'm Jose Manuel, from Spain. I put in contact with you regarding my own naval wargame. As you know I'm very interested in both games (WWI and WWII). I will write to you soon about that subject.

Please could you give me some details about solitaire game?

Have you got complete rules in order an IA govern the enemy side?? Or you have prepared simple rules in order to get easy decision for the enemy side?

I asked for this because a friend of me has sent me (as a present) some Axis & Allies War at Sea minis. That game haven't specific rules for solo game although I have prepared some rules.

As you said your game can be used with minis, I'm interested in use that minis with your game. For that reason I'm specially interested in solitaire rules of your game.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jose Manuel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Miller
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
Jose,

Great to hear from you again! A quick rundown on the solitaire aspect of the 'Steel and Resolve' & 'No Safe Port' game:

1) Solitaire rules are designed to work with the Basic Game System as developed in the rules. (The Basic Game System uses a "range-band" system). The rules can be used with the Advanced Game System (i.e. hex-map or table-top) but will require more interpretation from the user.

2) There are Solitaire rules for both the Tactical Game portion and for the Operational Game portion. There are no specific Solitaire rules for the opposing side in the Campaign Game (those would simply be too complex to be usable).

3) For the Tactical Game the Solitaire rules generate how each opposing division moves (close range or not, etc), which target each opposing division/ship will fire at, and when/if each division (or individual ship) will attempt to disengage due to damage (or being outgunned).

4) For the Operational Game the Solitaire rules help to determine which targets the opposing side will go after, how much force they will apply, etc.

In general, in Solitaire play, you as a player will still have to make some decisions for the opposing side (and apply the decisinos generated by the Solitaire Rules in a reasonable fashion); however the Solitaire Rules are designed to limit the players workload in this as much as possible.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you William for your quick and your detailed answer.

You help me a lot to understand your design.

As far as I read the solitaire game it is fully operative with all game modes. There are great news for me!!

WMiller wrote:

1) Solitaire rules are designed to work with the Basic Game System as developed in the rules. (The Basic Game System uses a "range-band" system). The rules can be used with the Advanced Game System (i.e. hex-map or table-top) but will require more interpretation from the user.

According to your description, basic game is similar to a card game, without operational or tactial mapboards. There aren't movement rules or only a few rules are needed. I suppose that minis can be used with basic game. I have a doubt about basic game: are there a fixed scenarios/battles provided with the game, or do rules contain a system with random battles/scenarios generation? Could you play a campaign game only with basic rules?

WMiller wrote:

2) There are Solitaire rules for both the Tactical Game portion and for the Operational Game portion. There are no specific Solitaire rules for the opposing side in the Campaign Game (those would simply be too complex to be usable).

3) For the Tactical Game the Solitaire rules generate how each opposing division moves (close range or not, etc), which target each opposing division/ship will fire at, and when/if each division (or individual ship) will attempt to disengage due to damage (or being outgunned).

4) For the Operational Game the Solitaire rules help to determine which targets the opposing side will go after, how much force they will apply, etc.

In general, in Solitaire play, you as a player will still have to make some decisions for the opposing side (and apply the decisinos generated by the Solitaire Rules in a reasonable fashion); however the Solitaire Rules are designed to limit the players workload in this as much as possible.

Standard/avanced game could be played with Axis&Allies war at sea minis(1:1800 scale)? I suppose it depends on your mapboard hex size.

Finally in order to have an idea about the game difficult, could you give me an idea about rules book weight in pages?? How many sheets for basic rules and how much for avanzed ones?

Thank you and best regards,

Jose Manuel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Miller
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
Jose,

Answers to your questions are below:

Q: Are there a fixed scenarios/battles provided with the game, or do rules contain a system with random battles/scenarios generation? Could you play a campaign game only with basic rules?
A; The following scenarios are included with the rules:

Pacific Scenarios: Java Sea, Coral Sea, Midway, Savo Island, Cape Esperance, First Guadalcanal, Second Guadalcanal, Tassafaronga, Second Kula Gulf, Suriago Strait

Atlantic Scenarios: River Plate, First Narvik, Second Narvik, Dunkirk [Hypothetical], Denmark Straits, Breakout [Hypothetical], Casablanca

Mediterranean Scenarios: Point Stilo, Convoy Defense [Hypothetical], Cape Matapan, Cape Spartivento

Arctic Scenarios: Convoy PQ-17 [Hypothetical],Barents Sea, North Cape

The Campaign Battle Generator can be used to create 'random' battles with just a bit of tweaking.

You can play a campaign using only the Basic Rules but you would still need to use the hex or tabletop movement system since the campaign system requires that.

Q: Standard/avanced game could be played with Axis&Allies war at sea minis(1:1800 scale)?
A: Prob not on the hex-maps as they use 5/8" hexes & IIRC A&A minis are too big to fit. I have used them to supplement my minis for table-top/miniatures play with the game.

Q: Finally in order to have an idea about the game difficult, could you give me an idea about rules book weight in pages?? How many sheets for basic rules and how much for advanced ones?
A: The Rules manual totals 52 pages not counting the TOC & covers of course. The page breakdown is as follows: Introduction/scale/notes= 2 pages, Unit Record Sheets = 6 pages, Game Component Use and Setup= 1.5 pages, Tactical Combat = 10 pages, Strategic/Operational Combat= 8 pages, Solitaire Rules= 1.5 pages, Campaign Rules= 8 pages, Scenarios = 8 pages, Expanded Rules= 3 pages, Misc = 4 pages

The Basic Rules sections only take up 9-10 pages in total.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you William for answer all my questions.

You give us a lot of details about the game, and with each answer it looks like more interesting for me!!

I will probably conact with you after summer, in order to buy 1 or both games, and I'll tell you sometihng about my game concept.

Thank you and good luck with the game. I'll continue following both games in order to see new forum posts, photos etc... about them.

Best regards,

Jose Manuel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Miller
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
I look forward to speaking with you again Jose...take care and good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dean Naval Warfare Simulations / Tactical Warfare Simulations (Land/Air Combat)
United States
flag msg tools
Make sure to check out our main forums also.. you can post questions, look at more details, etc..

http://forums.navalwarfare.net/forumdisplay.php?4-NAVAL-TACT...

Thanks.
Christopher Dean
Naval Warfare Simulations
Director of Operations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Chris/William!

At that forum there are a lot of information.

We continue in contact!

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dean Naval Warfare Simulations / Tactical Warfare Simulations (Land/Air Combat)
United States
flag msg tools
No problem, anytime friend.

Thanks.
Christopher Dean
Naval Warfare Simulations
Director of Operations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.