8 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Solo Play through rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth Barham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I thought I’d roughly note down what happened during my Second ever play through of Arkham Horror. Partly because I want to know if I’m doing everything right! I’m new to BGG so if this is not the done thing my apologies! It’ll be notes mainly about anything I don’t understand!

Players 1 – Me
Ancient One – Nyarlathotep (almost beat Yig Last time!)
Investigators – Mandy Thompson because I like the look of her roll again to skill checks
Started with: +1 luck, Dark Cloak, Old Journal and Enchanted Jewelry
Harvey Walters Because he has strong lore points I think I need against Nyarl
Started With: 2 Nameless Cults (the cards were shuffled honest!)
(I know I’m only using two. Only had one last time so working up slowly!)

Bad start – As I opened my board the bottom section ripped off  never happened to a board before! Good thing I’m thinking of making a 3D version like the one I’ve seen on these forums!
Mythos Card 1: Gate at Independace square and a fire vampire that goes straight to the sky as there are no investigators in streets yet (I’m having trouble understanding the Sky rule so If it’s wrong please tell me!)
Turn One – Strategy – get clues, use up Nameless Cults cards! (Received Shrivelling for one of them)
Harvey gets blessed! I got a blessing right at the start last game I played (can’t remember why!) what seems to be the easiest way of getting blessings?
Mythos – Gate at Unvisited isle and Gug appears which doesn’t move and nor does the Fire Vampire in the sky.
Turn two – Mandy moved to independence square gate. Harvey to the witch house to get clue.
Mythos –Opens a gate on Harvey who is sucked through and Delayed. Byakhee appears which again goes into the sky nothing else moves
Turn three – Harvey Delayed Mandy gains Shrivelling spell in Other world encounter
Mythos – gate at Woods Star Spawn appears but doesn’t move Gug moves other two remain in sky
Turn three - Mandy moves back to Arkham loses a figh check and gets thrown intot the street and Harvey loses a Sanity
Mythos – Gate surge plus 2monsters in East Town except only one Warlock appears at the Woods and 5 Monsters go into the outskirts…OUCH!
Turn four – Mandy back through to Plateau of Leng and Harvey closes but can’t seal the gate on The Witch house. (Fire Vampire from Sky removed)
Note: just realised if you return from another world you don’t have to take an encounter card before trying to close/ seal the gate…so I could possibly have a gate sealed by now D’oh I’ll know for next time!
Mythos: Gate surge again Gaul on board Terror track goes up 1.
Turn 5: Harvey Gains find gate spell from nameless cult (yay!)and fails to get and Ally again, Mandy (badly) defeats the Gaul and then fails to close gate (rolling really badly tonight
Mythos: Gate surge again Gaul appears with Mandy Cultist in unvisited isle and one in outskirts.
(Gives up for the night will carry on tomorrow!)
Turn 6: Harvey finally Gains and Ally (Prof Armitage) Mandy defeats second gaula and jumps to Other world
Mythos: Gate surge again Dark young on Independence square and 2 into outskirts nothing moves
Turn 7: Harvey goes on a mad monster killing spree and gets rid of a Star Spawn Mandy get lost in time and space.
Mythos: first ever rumour card with 5 monsters to defeat at Misk U. (ouch) another gate surge
Turn 8: Harvey gets a couple of the rumour monsters but loses most of his Sanity
Mythos: Gate on Unnamable too many monsters in outskirts so terror track to 2 cultist moves
Turn 6: Harvey regains sanity Mandy gets find gate spell then goes insane trying to defeat Misk U.
At this point I realise I’m struggling. Only two investigators was stupid.
I think I’ve got a lot of things wrong to be honest I think starting again and doing a better job might be a good idea.
I also don’t understand the wording of the insane and unconscious rules. You must choose and remove half of your items…there’s no choice there!
Any help anyone can give so next time I make less of a pig’s ear of this game would be appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madsocktm wrote:
I think I’ve got a lot of things wrong to be honest I think starting again and doing a better job might be a good idea.
I also don’t understand the wording of the insane and unconscious rules. You must choose and remove half of your items…there’s no choice there!
Any help anyone can give so next time I make less of a pig’s ear of this game would be appreciated!

Try with 4 investigators, it will help.

About insane and unconscious.

Suppose you have an Elder Sign, a Tommy Gun, a Motorcycle and a Wither Spell.
So you have 4 items. Your investigator becomes insane : he loses half of his clue (no choice here), and half of his item : so he loses 2 items out of his 4. And YOU choose which one are lost. You can choose the Wither and Motorcycle for example.

Hope this will help a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madsocktm wrote:
I thought I’d roughly note down what happened during my Second ever play through of Arkham Horror. Partly because I want to know if I’m doing everything right! I’m new to BGG so if this is not the done thing my apologies! It’ll be notes mainly about anything I don’t understand!

You're fine. Welcome to the game and welcome to BGG.

madsocktm wrote:

Harvey gets blessed! I got a blessing right at the start last game I played (can’t remember why!) what seems to be the easiest way of getting blessings?

The easiest way is to "buy" them at the church with gate or monster trophies.

madsocktm wrote:

Turn 5: Harvey Gains find gate spell from nameless cult (yay!)and fails to get and Ally again, Mandy (badly) defeats the Gaul and then fails to close gate (rolling really badly tonight
Mythos: Gate surge again Gaul appears with Mandy Cultist in unvisited isle and one in outskirts.
(Gives up for the night will carry on tomorrow!)
Turn 6: Harvey finally Gains and Ally (Prof Armitage) Mandy defeats second gaula and jumps to Other world

I think you are making a mistake here. Mandy keeps moving back to the Other World which is not neccesary. Once she returns to Arkham from the Other World (for any reason) to a gate location, she receives an Explored Token. She retains the token until either the gate is closed or she moves off of the location. While she has the token she is a) eligible to close the gate and b) immune to being sucked through the gate. She can remain at the location turn after turn, attempting to close the gate each turn.

Also, if she returns from the Other World to a gate location on her normal movement phase and there is a monster at the location, she has the option to ignore the monster for that turn. She will have to deal with it (evade or fight) on her next movement phase, however.

madsocktm wrote:

At this point I realise I’m struggling. Only two investigators was stupid.

Count up the total of your common items, unique items and spells. Divide that number in half and round down if neccesary. You must discard that many cards, your choice which ones.

Edit: You never mentioned using Mandy's re-roll ability. Were you remembering to use it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Barham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the advice so far. I certain will try more investigators next time! (though I'm having problems remembering everything for two!) My friend is coming tomorrow so together we should get somewhere!

Thanks for explaining the unconscious/insane thing Dyslexia really doesn't help!

I think i'm muddling up when I have to do encounters post returning to Arkham

I eventually remembered Mandy's re roll and Harveys -1 sanity loss there really are lots of things to remember in this game!

I've just bought Dunwich and King in Yellow in the sales as if it wasn't complicated enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
When you first start off, as you are, it helps to just re-read the investigator sheets before doing anything. Slow down a little and re-re-read their abilities.

I don't really practice this myself. I have the sixteen base investigators down cold, because I played tons of games before getting the big-box expansions.

There are still investigators from KH and DH whose special abilities I just plain forget.

You probably did it right, but Daisy's failure condition is having no Tomes. So if you read Livre d' Ivon right away and didn't have another Tome in her possession, she would have failed her ps.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Goldman
msg tools
mbmbmb
same thing happened to me with the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Rice
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madsocktm wrote:
As I opened my board the bottom section ripped off  never happened to a board before! Good thing I’m thinking of making a 3D version like the one I’ve seen on these forums!

I've seen a couple of posts about this happening - FFG is very good about sending you a replacement board if you contact them and let them know what happened.

madsocktm wrote:
Mythos Card 1: Gate at Independace square and a fire vampire that goes straight to the sky as there are no investigators in streets yet (I’m having trouble understanding the Sky rule so If it’s wrong please tell me!)

The flying creatures still get placed ON the gate. If the symbol comes up for them to move and there are no investigators in the neighboring streets, THEN they move to the sky. After that, if their symbol comes up again they can move into any street section that has investigators. If the symbol doesn't come up, they stat stationairy at the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shaunrice wrote:
madsocktm wrote:
As I opened my board the bottom section ripped off  never happened to a board before! Good thing I’m thinking of making a 3D version like the one I’ve seen on these forums!

I've seen a couple of posts about this happening - FFG is very good about sending you a replacement board if you contact them and let them know what happened.

madsocktm wrote:

The flying creatures still get placed ON the gate. If the symbol comes up for them to move and there are no investigators in the neighboring streets, THEN they move to the sky. After that, if their symbol comes up again they can move into any street section that has investigators. If the symbol doesn't come up, they stat stationairy at the gate.

I took that to mean that the monster's symbol was on the card that opened the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.