Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


This video is walking the edge for me. I can understand sexying it up, but this is almost like a Discovery or History channel show where they added just a little too much drama to take it seriously.

Stripping off some of the chrome though, it is pretty damn cool how this mission works. I have to admit, it's money better spent than a manned mission for this type of work.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:


This video is walking the edge for me. I can understand sexying it up, but this is almost like a Discovery or History channel show where they added just a little too much drama to take it seriously.

Stripping off some of the chrome though, it is pretty damn cool how this mission works. I have to admit, it's money better spent than a manned mission for this type of work.


I love this video. I think it's the kind of marketing effort that NASA needs to do more of to make people excited about its overall mission. The basic facts of the landing are clearly laid out - the challenges and the (broadly described) solutions they came up with - and presented in an engaging manner.

Where will you be Sunday night when Curiosity lands? I'll be watching NASA TV.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:


This video is walking the edge for me. I can understand sexying it up, but this is almost like a Discovery or History channel show where they added just a little too much drama to take it seriously.

Stripping off some of the chrome though, it is pretty damn cool how this mission works. I have to admit, it's money better spent than a manned mission for this type of work.


I love this video. I think it's the kind of marketing effort that NASA needs to do more of to make people excited about its overall mission. The basic facts of the landing are clearly laid out - the challenges and the (broadly described) solutions they came up with - and presented in an engaging manner.

Where will you be Sunday night when Curiosity lands? I'll be watching NASA TV.


I care about this only slightly more than I care about the Olympics.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of what certain loons will tell you, you know the S is for sex, not science, right?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Regardless of what certain loons will tell you, you know the S is for sex, not science, right?


Yeah, but I know we have had the unmanned versus manned space flight debate here a few times due to budget considerations and I felt this is a good example of NASA trying to present unmanned missions with some of the excitement that manned missions create. A common criticism of unmanned is that is boring and with no human involvement the lay public become disinterested and less supportive of NASA budget.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
For anyone in the UK the Horizon programme did a good documentary on it. It should still be available.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:


This video is walking the edge for me. I can understand sexying it up, but this is almost like a Discovery or History channel show where they added just a little too much drama to take it seriously.

Stripping off some of the chrome though, it is pretty damn cool how this mission works. I have to admit, it's money better spent than a manned mission for this type of work.


It remains to be seen if this is how this mission 'works'. I hope it does work, but it's not like they've done this successfully before.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Regardless of what certain loons will tell you, you know the S is for sex, not science, right?


I don't know about you, but this kind of shit always makes me hot and bothered.
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bobby_5150 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Regardless of what certain loons will tell you, you know the S is for sex, not science, right?


I don't know about you, but this kind of shit always makes me hot and bothered.


The S stands for shit?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll never work.

That sucker is going to hit the side of the planet.

Poll
...so...what does happen?
Why does Curiosity end up smacking into Mars like a Scout Trooper smacks into an Endor tree?
Initial miscalculation on approach causes probe to miss atmospheric entry entirely
Heat shield fails on initial atmosphere entry, and probe is incinerated
Aero maneuvering thrusters fail to properly target the probe during descent, and it crashes somewhere random on the planet
Parachute fails to deploy correctly, and lander cannot be slowed enough in time
Heat shield fails to separate, whole assembly smacks into planet
Radar fails to function and find proper landing site or altitude
Backshell fails to separate, preventing skycrane landing assembly from being able to slow probe enough
Rover fails to descend from Skycrane properly (or gets tangled/trapped in wires), so when it goes to 'fly off', it takes the rover with it to crashy-crashy landing
Skycrane drops rover too high or landing too hard, and wheels break leaving it stuck in place
Shock from part of landing sequence renders multiple instruments damaged or ineffective on landing
      24 answers
Poll created by XanderF
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
XanderF wrote:
It'll never work.

That sucker is going to hit the side of the planet.

Poll
...so...what does happen?
Why does Curiosity end up smacking into Mars like a Scout Trooper smacks into an Endor tree?
Initial miscalculation on approach causes probe to miss atmospheric entry entirely
Heat shield fails on initial atmosphere entry, and probe is incinerated
Aero maneuvering thrusters fail to properly target the probe during descent, and it crashes somewhere random on the planet
Parachute fails to deploy correctly, and lander cannot be slowed enough in time
Heat shield fails to separate, whole assembly smacks into planet
Radar fails to function and find proper landing site or altitude
Backshell fails to separate, preventing skycrane landing assembly from being able to slow probe enough
Rover fails to descend from Skycrane properly (or gets tangled/trapped in wires), so when it goes to 'fly off', it takes the rover with it to crashy-crashy landing
Skycrane drops rover too high or landing too hard, and wheels break leaving it stuck in place
Shock from part of landing sequence renders multiple instruments damaged or ineffective on landing
      24 answers
Poll created by XanderF


None of the above, because NASA spent 4 Water Tokens to make sure that it lands safely.



Darilian
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the option for "stirring up the Martians to invade Earth a la War of the Worlds"?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Dziuba
United States
Scurry
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
The atmosphere entry will start around 10:30 - 11:00 PM Eastern time, so I will try to stay awake for it. The actual landing is around 1:00 AM EST Monday. Makes for a long day...


I thought the gist of the story was that it was 7 minutes from atmosphere entry to landing? If so, that timeline doesn't add up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I still smile at the craft which smashed into Mars as some idiot didn't know Kilometres is not Miles.

EDIT: Good luck watching NASA TV. Like the CERN broadcasts they can't handle much bandwidth, at least the ones I've tried to look at so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Darilian wrote:
None of the above, because NASA spent 4 Water Tokens to make sure that it lands safely.



Darilian


NASA is a pussy. There's no way they'll roll a one on a landing so important.


It's almost literally never happened
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I stayed up all night to watch. Was great with the Nasa Eye flash things as well.


It cost each person in the US the price of a cinema ticket. Several other countries contributed as well. Cheap for 2+ years entertainment.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Landed" doesn't mean "nothing broke".

We'll see once it starts running some experiments and returning results (IIRC, a few weeks at best before we know for sure everything is working as expected).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
"Landed" doesn't mean "nothing broke".

We'll see once it starts running some experiments and returning results (IIRC, a few weeks at best before we know for sure everything is working as expected).


Yes

The last press conference goes into this. I was relieved when I saw the pictures which showed it wasn't upside down or something. They have established it seems to be in an optimum position though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
Looks like a perfect landing and deployment. Already sending back images.

Now how much did this cost us?


With budget overruns, about $2.5 billion.

Totally worth it, IMO.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.