Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know this game can play with 3-4 players! Yesterday we were ready to play, I read the first rules, set up scenario 1 and then... What do we do? We are three players... Looked in the 3-4 players rules at the end of the booklet... nothing about scenarios! Just SAGS!

Now what? I searched the internet and learnt about the 3/4 players scenarios!!! Are those tutorials like the ones in the booklet? With the exact same learning curve (scenario 1 just move and close combat, scenario 2 shooting and LOS, etc)? Which one are better? Funnier?

Now for the scenarios, are they actually a lot of fun? Or just tutorials to learn and not much fun? Can I skipped them and play SAGS right away? If not can some be skipped, like just doing scenarios 2-4-6-8-10 or let say scenarios 3-6-10! Or specific ones?

There is nothing I hate more than rules written like tutorials (VLAADA CHVTAVIL talking to you!!! like Galaxy Trucker, Space Alert, Even Through the Ages!!! TtA was my first game with those kind of rules, and for a few days, I actually thought that simple and advanced versions were real games! NO they are not!) In fact, what I really hate about those kind of rules is when you read the first part and then in further parts some new rules CONTRADICT others!!! Then I have like 2 or 3 set of rules in my head and have to remember the three sets IN ADDITION to where they cross and contradict!!! Way simplier with just reading the rules from beginning to end!!! Do such things happen with ER? Like a previous rule is changed later on? Or just new stuff added?

Is it really that complicated that you HAVE to go through all this? I mean, I've read rules for games like Starcraft, TI3, and other 40 more pages booklet made by FFG!

Is it a really fun process going through the scenarios? So-so? Or a pain in the *ss???

Also is the 3/4 players game more like a War of The Ring 3/4 players game (a 2 players game where 2 players play in symbiosis as 1 player) or is it a real game? (I really like playing War of the Ring with 4 players thought! I love to have a friend and play agaisnt 2 other friend!!! but just to know which kind it is)!!!

Also you can both activate a character without giving him an order tile (activated with 0 tile) or activate him and give him an order tile without CPs (order tiles but no CP) right? When I REactivate a previously activated character I dont have tu play a second tile on him? I can just put CPs on a tile he already has without playing a second one right?

Also in a round, I activate a character and then he can do as many actions as he can? Like first I put 1 CP on move, then he moves, then I put 1 cp on close combat on ANOTHER order tiles attached to the same caracter, then 1 other cp on another close combat zone of the same tile order for a second fight against the SAME caracter (or another adjacent one), then put 2 cps on the same move as my first CP (because move can get CPs even if there is already some) then move my character and so on right? All this in the SAME ACTIVATION without any other players being able to play (besides Duel which I'm not there yet)

Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3/4-Player Tutorial Scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:
Now what? I searched the internet and learnt about the 3/4 players scenarios!!! Are those tutorials like the ones in the booklet? With the exact same learning curve (scenario 1 just move and close combat, scenario 2 shooting and LOS, etc)? Which one are better? Funnier?

Yes - The 3/4 player scenarios are built like the 2-player tutorial scenarios, and have the same "curve" for introduction of rules. They are both equal in quality, IMHO.

KingAnus3 wrote:
Now for the scenarios, are they actually a lot of fun? Or just tutorials to learn and not much fun? Can I skipped them and play SAGS right away? If not can some be skipped, like just doing scenarios 2-4-6-8-10 or let say scenarios 3-6-10! Or specific ones?

Some of the scenarios are fun and interesting, but they are designed primarily to teach the rules, rather than to be an awesome game experience. That's not to say you won;t have fun, but really, these scenarios are teaching instruments.

If you have read through the whole rulebook, you don't need to play every single tutorial scenario; that said, I don't suggest jumping into SAGS right away unless you have an extra copy of the rules and are content to pause gameplay to look things up quite often. There are a TON of rules to remember, and getting the basic 75% down will make the remaining "advanced" 25% easier to recall or lookup as necessary.

The problem is that the 3/4 scenarios are not all suitable for 3 players; several are 4-players only.

I'd suggest playing The following Scenarios to get a grasp on "core" rules of the game before playing SAGS:

Start with Scenario 3, "Zombie Family." This will cover Order Tiles, Movement, Close Combat, Line of Sight, Dueling for Interruption, using Equipment (not searching), and Shooting. This scenario is written for only 4 players, but it can be fudged by simply having one player control both of the NORAD characters.

Then, once you have a grasp on those rules, you can jump to Scenario 5, "Pillage." This introduces IPS Lines, Interact Orders, Searching, and Spy Points. (If you're feeling ambitious and have experienced gamers at the table, you can probably skip to this scenario right away.) Plus, this scenario is designed for 3 or 4 players.

Once you have all that, then I think it's safe to jump to SAGS. You've covered easily 90% of the rules you'll use in the game, and need only cover the new stuff as it comes up.

KingAnus3 wrote:
There is nothing I hate more than rules written like tutorials (VLAADA CHVTAVIL talking to you!!! ...
Is it really that complicated that you HAVE to go through all this? I mean, I've read rules for games like Starcraft, TI3, and other 40 more pages booklet made by FFG!

Nobody is telling you you have to play through the tutorials. Personally, I like having the option to "ramp up" through a complex system, but after reading through the rules I immediately realized that my group could easily skip several scenarios, as we are all experienced gamers and understand basic concepts like line of sight, custom dice, and action points. Tutorial rulebooks are there for novice gamers, or those who want to start playing immediately upon opening the box without being overwhelmed.

KingAnus3 wrote:
Is it a really fun process going through the scenarios? So-so? Or a pain in the *ss???

As I said above, experienced gamers need not go through every scenario, but as the system is very complex, I'd suggest playing through at least one of the tutorial scenarios, just to get the basics down before adding in the advanced elements.

KingAnus3 wrote:
Also is the 3/4 players game more like a War of The Ring 3/4 players game (a 2 players game where 2 players play in symbiosis as 1 player) or is it a real game? (I really like playing War of the Ring with 4 players thought! I love to have a friend and play agaisnt 2 other friend!!! but just to know which kind it is)!!!

Can't speak to those other games, but 3-4 player SAGS, as written in the rules, is a free-for-all. However, I think it will be easy enough to simply make two players Salemite and the others NORAD, share objectives between faction players, and play it out as teams. Nothing in the rules says that you cannot do it that way if you want.

Remember that this is less a Board Game and more a Miniatures Skirmish Game. As such, you have a core rules system at your disposal, much like Warhammer or Hero Clix, and can modify it as you see fit to make the game more of what you want.

KingAnus3 wrote:
Thank you very much!

You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:

Also you can both activate a character without giving him an order tile (activated with 0 tile) or activate him and give him an order tile without CPs (order tiles but no CP) right?

The first time you activate a character, you can just rotate the character card sideways without assigning it an order tile. It's called "Waiting for Orders." See top right of p6 of the rulebook.

KingAnus3 wrote:

When I REactivate a previously activated character I dont have tu play a second tile on him? I can just put CPs on a tile he already has without playing a second one right?

Correct.

KingAnus3 wrote:

Also in a round, I activate a character and then he can do as many actions as he can? Like first I put 1 CP on move, then he moves, then I put 1 cp on close combat on ANOTHER order tiles attached to the same caracter, then 1 other cp on another close combat zone of the same tile order for a second fight against the SAME caracter (or another adjacent one), then put 2 cps on the same move as my first CP (because move can get CPs even if there is already some) then move my character and so on right? All this in the SAME ACTIVATION without any other players being able to play (besides Duel which I'm not there yet)

Correct. You can assign orders (place a CP counter on a particular order on an order tile) up to the character's order limit. Note that you are only allowed to place one new order tile on a character per round of activation. But you can assign multiple order tiles to a character over a series of activations.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:

Yes, you can do all that in a single round. Just remember that by spending 5 CPs in a single round, you will not be able to use that character for interrupting or executing another order in future rounds if it already has reached it's max. For each activation phase, there are typically 5-7 rounds, so be careful in running out of options so quickly. Otherwise, your character might soon find itself DEAD, DEAD, DEAD. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.