Subject: Moving aircraft attack angle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
p.15 of the rulebook shows a diagram that only the lighted areas are considered as within an aircraft's attack angle. I don't get how the pattern works. Why can't you attack the other 3 dark hexes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
p.15 of the rulebook shows a diagram that only the lighted areas are considered as within an aircraft's attack angle. I don't get how the pattern works. Why can't you attack the other 3 dark hexes?

I think it's to simulate a moving aircraft needing to acquire the target for proper weapon engagement.

Note that valid hexes are dynamic (although they always follow the same relative pattern), and are based on which direction the aircraft is facing as it exits the hex (denoted by the arrow pointed to 11 o'clock in the diagram in the manual).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Examples of the pattern:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

No, the attack angle is for Standoff attacks. An attack against a unit in the same hex as the aircraft is a Strike attack. Different weapons, different skills, different rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mayse
United States
Los Lunas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From everything I have read and understand, the difference of Stand-off and Strike is only applicable to the type of weapon being used and their ranges. Angle of Attack (AoA) is your aircraft's current hex and all applicable forward hexes based on which edge your aircraft is facing. Hovering has an AoA of all six directions to adjacent hexes in which you have LOS along with the hex you are Hovering. Remember, you can only attack all targets in ONE hex regardless of your AoA (except when using Independent weapons - same hex and one adjacent in your AoA).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
warwalk wrote:
From everything I have read and understand, the difference of Stand-off and Strike is only applicable to the type of weapon being used and their ranges.

And, for completeness, the difference dictates which skill modifier your pilot uses when attacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.