Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » QLD (Brisbane)

Subject: Mackay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so...I'm being considered for a job based out of Mackay. I think corporate australia headquarters are in Brisbane, but I'd be living in Mackay. I don't know anything about it, just learned the location yesterday.

How's gaming in the city/area? shoot, how's life in the area?

Keep in mind, I'm coming from Gillette, WY. basically a desert town 2 hours away from any kind of outdoor recreation or decent shopping. we have cold dry winters and hot dry summers with nothing really in between. There's really no gaming scene to speak of here, aside from me and whatever friends I rope into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I've been to Gillette, and Mackay, and Mackay is nicer. My guess is you're in coal mining... I did some work at Black Thunder. After that part of Wyoming it will seem like a tropical paradise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Skellett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
A wolf and a penguin could never live together, nor could a camel and a hippopotamus. That would be absurd.
badge
And the older you get, the fewer things you really love. And by the time you get to my age, maybe it's only one or two things. With me, I think it's one.
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up in Mackay!

In terms of gaming I'm not really sure what it's like since I left after high school but it's a pretty good place to live.

There are some pretty nice beaches (particularly those on the north side like Eimeo) but you'll have to be a bit careful of the box jelly fish in any month with an 'r' in it ... but the locals will tell you how to deal with those.

The rainforest which is about an hour inland is possibly my favourite place in the world - particularly Finch Hatton Gorge & really all of Eungella. You'll have to watch out for leeches up there but carrying some salt usually does the trick. (I'm trying to tell you stuff that the locals know not make it sound dangerous. It's not. )

Also you'll be really close to the Great Barrier Reef & there's a few islands just off the coast too.

Since the coal mining boom things have changed a bit so it's gone from a sugar cane town to more of a mining town but I don't think that's so bad. There's been quite a bit of development there in the past few years as a result - new bridges, shopping centres, bike paths, etc.

It's still kind of a "small town" so there isn't really any peak hour traffic or anything like that. When I was home on university holidays you could tell your friends that you'd meet them in the nightclubs without a specific time or place since there were only 2 or 3 & they are all beside each other.

Temperature is pretty good - I never owned a jumper (i.e. sweater?) or even jeans as a kid (seriously) but you'll notice the heat & humidity in the summer so that's when the beaches (or ideally rainforest creeks) come in handy.

Food is pretty good, especially if you like reef fish, & being close to Rocky (i.e. Rockhampton) steak is good too.

Hopefully that gives you some idea but get in touch if you'd like to know more.

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The amazing & fabulous
Australia
Sarina
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live at Armstrong Beach, about 30 minutes South of Mackay. It is wonderful and glorious here. A true tropical paradise. I have been out of the gaming scene for some time. I still have some games, but haven't played in a while. You will find some gamers here I think, but most people work shift, so it may be hard to organise a regular slot.

Ben speaks the truth. It is absolutely amazing up here. Lots of beaches, lots of fishing, lots of good restaurants. We do have a game store in Mackay, but I haven't been in so I am not sure what they have. Lots of Ravensburger and Warhammer if the window display is to be believed.

People up here are amazingly friendly and laid back. We like to BBQ and talk crap. But in a friendly way. We are a little bit behind the rest of Australia... Lots of parochial behaviour, especially from the older generation. (I am 35)

I drive coal trains for a living. It is a lot of fun, hard work and very well paid.

You should fit in up here pretty well.

Drop me a private line on my email address if you want to talk more. I will PM it to you.

Best of luck and many squishies.

Shebby McCrone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the insight. I've been doing some reading about the area and it seems really nice.

Yeah Gillette, coal mining and all that. Gillette's weather and area area pretty poor, but it has some great people. We're a young family (1 & 2 year old) so things like school and community activites are starting to come up on the horizon. But I've lived in a number of places (American Southeast, Panama, Korea, Middle east) so I know you just need to be flexible and enjoy what you have wherever you can go.

Still its nice to go to a nice area. anywho, I'm sure i'll have more questions if things proceed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't spent much time in Florida, but from what I see of it on the TV, Mackay will be somewhat like that but with crocodiles instead of alligators surprise. Some of the islands off the coast there have holiday resorts because the beaches are gorgeous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.