Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Martin
United States
Overland Park
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I'm considering adding shadow hunters to an online order, but I'm not sure if I should as yet.

- I own The Resistance and play it very often
- I own Citadels and play it once in a while
- I don't own Bang, but I could play it if I want to (a friend owns it)

So given the above, I'm thinking I should spend that $25 on a new, different style game, instead of Shadow Hunters. Do you think shadow hunters is different enough from the above games to warrant purchasing now?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, Shadow Hunters has far too much luck for my tastes. Where you move each turn is determined by a die roll. How much damage you do is determined by a die roll. Who you attack is determined by where you move to, which is determined by a die roll. What cards you get are determined by the location you land on, which is determined by a die roll.

Have not seen any strategy in this game whereby you need to deduce who the other team is. Just basically attack your enemy after you identify their roles. It basically boils down to the shadows revealing to use their special abilities to try and kill everyone else every game.

Perhaps try Coach Ride to Devil Castle or Emissary Crisis (English). My favourite traitor game is Emissary Crisis, which is based on Coach Ride to Devil's Castle which is unavailable from my online store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August T
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, SH is a better Bang! due to its much shorter play time (45 mins or less) while scratching the same itch. Variety of neutrals provide interesting spin on team deduction.

I think your friend who owns Bang! should replace it with this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Bang, Shadow Hunters, and Resistance.
For me Resistance is the most requested game since I'm the only one that owns it. Shadow Hunters & Bang we now have a couple of people owning that game, so it doesn't come out as much, but I still like having them in my collection so on the days I play friends outside of my gaming group, I can get these to the table.

If you only play games with the same gaming group and one of the members already has Bang, then you might want to think about getting Shadow Hunters.

Edit: If you would like another suggestion, I would recommend Saboteur, this one is played a lot. It takes from 4-10? players and there's no player elimination, and even if the Saboteur is revealed there's still a lot of game & fun to be had. I find this game less stressful, the tension is still there, but after you play, you'll be laughing and talking about remember the time you were the Saboteur and...
Also I find that most people fair well with this game (new gamers all the way to experienced gamers). Plus the game is small and portable. I also own this game, and out of all 4 games, this one gets played the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mechanikhil wrote:
-The Resistance
-Citadels
-Bang

Do you think shadow hunters is different enough from the above games to warrant purchasing now?

The Resistance: SH may seem similar, but there's more gaming in SH, the Resistance is more social. I prefer the Resistance.

Citadels: Not at all comparable: there's no hidden roles or direct attacks in Citadels (or not in the same sense as in SH). I prefer SH.

Bang: Very comparable, in both there's hidden roles and direct attacks. But SH does both better. I prefer SH.

Unless you really like hidden role/team games, I would buy a very different game. But if you, like me, really like hidden role/team games, go ahead and buy it: it's the best hidden role/team game with direct attacks.

Other games with hidden roles/teams/traitors: Werewolf Saboteur 2 (expansion-only editions) Panic Station Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game Shadows over Camelot Inkognito
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.