Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks!!

Since I had a day off yesterday, with my wife at work and my daughter at summer camp, the occasion was ripe for a gaming session.

I mentioned in other threads, since I only play solo the object of my gaming sessions is not of seeking a winner and a looser, but to compare and evaluate different warfare tactics, the interaction of different weapon systems and so on.

Whenever I play a session which is not a scenario in any of my GBoH or Men Of Iron/Infidel games I call it a 'case study', for the same reasons as explained above, although the name might sound a little 'fancy'.

Coming back to yesterday, I decided to try the Indian Army from Great Battles of Alexander (GBA) Juggernaut expansion against the huge Persian army from GBA Gaugamela battle, using the Gaugamela battle map and MoI/Infidel rules.

I deployed the Persian army according to Gaugamela scenario, while the Indian army as per Juggernaut.

First of all, the difference in numbers was evident: simply put, the Persian army was enormous.

The game started with the Persian chariots charging against both Indian flanks; the Indian chariots moved quickly and repulsed their Persian counterparts, while at same time activating their LC.

The Persians did the same, and here is where the numbers began to weight: there were about 10-15 Persian LC in each flank against 10 Indian LC (5 per flank); the Persian LC wiped out the Indian chariots and then did the same to their Indian counterparts.

The Persian LC was successful in part thanks to their 3 elephant units, which advanced towards the Indian left in order to force the Chariots to make a wide maneuver, and it was while doing it when they got wiped out by the LC. At the Indian right it was solely the numbers of Persian LC which prevailed.

Then the whole Indian elephants line moved forward, but the Persian pachyderms proved to be a hard nut to crack: 1 got eliminated, another rampaged and moved back to the Persian lines causing no harm, while the third remained in place, although disorganized. Due to this factor, the Indian elephants were unable to charge the Persian second line(HC, LN and Darius III Royal Guards)nor third line (slingers and archers).

In the meantime the Persian LC moved at both Indian flanks in a typical double envelopment, and things started getting ugly for the Indian side, since the latter had simply no way to counter the LC, with their own LC and Chariots either eliminated or retired/routed.

Then a moment of bad luck for the Indians: the LC caught the elephant with the Indian OC Porus in the open, and after accurate javelin fire the pachyderm rampaged and Porus got killed.

With the double envelopment completed, the Indian elephants line did not move while the supporting light infantry rotated 180 degrees and formed a defensive line, their back towards the elephants, in what was a truly desperate situation. The outcome was clear, just a matter of time.

In the Persian left (Indian right) the Persian heavy cavalry formed into a line, ready to charge; a section of the Indian elephant line wheeled to their right and charge the HC, but the latter counter charges meant the charge produced no other result than several elephant units being disorganized. The HC then launched flank charges against the elephants and some of the Indian LI, inflicting several casualties. In the Indian left, the Persian bow armed LC kept firing at a distance against the javelin armed LI, retiring some units but without risking too much casualties of their own.

After a rally of retired units by both sides(remember I was using MoI/Infidel rules) a Die Roll for Loss was made and the Indian side reached 100 Flight Points, while the Persian got 41. The Indian flight level was 100, the Persian 190, so the battle was over.

Once again the LC ruled supreme and was a factor in achieving the victory for their side. The double envelopment happened like a 'textbook lesson' and unless the other side has HC of their own and supported by LC and/or missile armed infantry, they are difficult to get defeated.

And last but not least, here it comes the beauty of wargaming into its maximum expression: I always read that Alexander The Great had a sort of 'picnic day' when defeated the Persian armies on several occasions; I played the Granicus battle between Macedonians and Persians(but did not produce an AAR for it) and now this 'case study'. In both cases the Persian performed really good and (at least to me) showed they were a foe to bear respect.

In the next two weeks a Gaugamela session will follow up.

Jumval

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.