Subject: Weird GPS issue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody know what's going on? I use a Garmin nuvi, and use it in two cars.

- I've installed it at the same spot on both cars - about midway down the front windshield
- I've driven through the same neighborhoods and streets, same times during the day.

In my Hyundai Elantra, it picks up a satellite within seconds after booting up. In the Kia Sedona, it can take much, much longer. Today, for example, it took about 20 minutes before it finally picked up a satellite. It's happened too consistently for it to be a random event. Also, today, in the Kia I finally had to install it on the passenger window before it picked up anything. Could there be different metals or other materials interfering with a signal, even on the windshield?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Try reversing the polarity.

Scotty says that fixes pretty much everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could it be the rado antenna wires in your windshield? I know these have been known to cause issues with the RFID Toll Tag stickets. Other than that, I got nothing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It could be that the Kia obstructs the unit's view to the sky more than the other car. GPS units are funny that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe there isn't enough power going to the GPS in one car. You plugging this into a lighter socket?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Could it be the rado antenna wires in your windshield? I know these have been known to cause issues with the RFID Toll Tag stickets.

Well, both vehicles have a toll tag. However, the Kia has an in-windshield antenna, where the Hyundai has a conventional antenna. So, that's a possibility

Quote:
It could be that the Kia obstructs the unit's view to the sky more than the other car. GPS units are funny that way.

I was thinking this. The Hyundai has a more swept back windshield, so from the same position on the windshield, the GPS sees more sky. However, I moved it farther down, towards the dash, and no difference in picking up a signal. Although, that's still a possibility, because it eventually has found a signal during other times.

Quote:
Maybe there isn't enough power going to the GPS in one car. You plugging this into a lighter socket?

Yes for both cars, although the GPS battery is fully charged, and seems to boot completely in both cases - to where I can punch in an address and have it start looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your GPS needs a good view in all directions because the satellites will be all around you in the sky. If you can only see forward, then you won't have any signals from behind you, which is needed for an accurate positioning.

My guess: The Kia's roof has a metal sheet that blocks the radio signals. The Hyundai's roof has a different construction that does not block the signals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sedona has tinted rear windows like most mini-vans doesn't it? A lot of window tinting material is metallic. Which will interfere with the GPS signal.

FWIW, I have noticed the same issue with my Dodge Grand Caravan. Acquiring a good signal can take 5-10 minutes, while it usually takes less than 2 in my Toyota Avalon with the same GPS unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just cross the streams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
My guess: The Kia's roof has a metal sheet that blocks the radio signals. The Hyundai's roof has a different construction that does not block the signals.

So the Kia is the aluminum hat of the car world?

...cool...

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.