Anachronism» Forums » Variants

Subject: Anachronism Draw rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott McCloskey
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a minor variant idea -- just something I came up with a few years back to add a new dimension to my Anachronism gaming with friends. Basically it blends Anachronism with aspects of Draw Poker, to make forming your strategy more challenging. This variant is designed for 2-4 players.

What you need

-An Anachronism battle mat
-At least ten Anachronism warrior packs (though the more the merrier, 13 or so is recommended if you intend to play for awhile).
-Standard poker chips (or something sufficient to use as a stand-in)

Setup

(Before play, it would be a good idea to make some note of which cards belong to which player.)

Assign an appropriate number of chips to each player, as if playing a normal game of poker. Separate all the warrior cards and shuffle them into a single deck. Then, shuffle all of the remaining cards into a second, larger deck. Deal one warrior to each player, face-up on the table. Then, deal four cards from the larger deck to each player, face-down. Each player should now have one warrior that is visible to everybody else, and a four card "hand" that should be kept hidden from other players. If there are only two players in the game, they should be sitting opposite from one another (this is actually important as far as setting up the battle mat goes later on).

Play

Play proceeds from this point as a normal hand of draw poker. Whoever dealt the cards is the "dealer" for this hand, and opens the betting. As with normal draw poker, each player should have one opportunity to trade in unwanted cards for new draws. Players cannot, however, replace their warrior card. The warrior dealt to them is their persona for this hand. Players are encouraged (but not required) to act the part!

There's no particular advantage to your "persona", other than the abilities on the card, and to make the banter more amusing in the game--

"Joan of Arc, Ivan the Terrible, Beowulf, and Vlad Tepes walk into a bar...what do they do? Play this game!"

"Don't give me that look, Ghengis Khan -- I know you've got that Excalibur up your sleeve again!"

"Ye may take our lives, but ye'll never take -- OUR CHIPS!!"

Winning the Hand

As with normal draw poker, if all but one player folds, the remaining player automatically wins the pot. If any player calls, however, all remaining players immediately begin a game of Anachronism with the five cards they have. Setup the battle mat and prepare your event cards as normal. The dealer chooses the first setup position for his/her warrior in any of the squares in the row closest to them. Players then setup proceeding to the left, placing their warrior in any available space in their own closest row (bear in mind that it is possible you may have one less space to choose from, if the player before you chose to set up in a corner spot that both of your starting rows share). Naturally if the dealer has folded, the first person to place a warrior will be the next player to the left.

Now, play Anachronism. The winner gets the pot. If the game ends in a draw, nobody gets the pot -- it holds over into the next hand. If you plan to play another hand, the next player to the left of the dealer is the new dealer. Start over again either with all new cards, or if you're all really getting into character at this point, keep the warriors you have. (Changing it up is more fun if you ask me, but hey, whatever works!) Feel free to trash-talk liberally, particularly in an outrageous parody accent of your victorious persona!

Anyway, that's it! If anybody decides to try this variant, I'd love to hear how it went for you and your group. (If you ended up enjoying it, consider some GG alms for a poor newcomer!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker Schlundt
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome variant. I will try this out as soon as I gather up some people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McCloskey
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let me know how it goes, I'd love to hear if it works out for other groups!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.