United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
We have a peanut butter cookie problem!
badge
Bert, what utter nonsense!
mbmbmbmbmb
I started collecting table top games avidly a couple of years ago and it's brought me a lot of joy. But of course you can have too much of a good thing. I'm getting close to the point where I think I should start cultivating my collection, trading or selling games to make room for new titles. Not just physical room, but implementing the "Jones Theory" to insure the games I do have get to the table reasonably often.

So my question, fellow geeks, is as follows:

When you hear about upcoming games, and something about them peaks your interest, do you ever hope you WON'T like it after further research?

You still can't help but check the geek for new games, but you've gotten more picky and strict in which ones move from the "maybe get" list to the "definitely get" list. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
For sure. Reached it.

Several signs to help you know if you are there:

1. You have more unplayed games in your collection than on your wishlist.

2. You would not have bought some of the games you own if you did not already own them.

3. You are seeking novel thrills. Hearing about yet another worker placement or deck builder does not raise your heart rate at all. You are so much more selective that it takes something special to make you want to own it, so you keep reading about games, looking for that needle in the haystack.

4. You stop thinking that this unowned game you are reading about is the next best thing.

5. You have stopped buying expansions, realizing that many of the base games don't get played enough to need expansions and/or the expansions don't really improve the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick B
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have reached this point kind of quickly, and I haven't been in the hobby that long (just over a year). Since I am new, my biggest problem is usually trying to avoid all the awesome games that have already been released, let alone the new stuff. I have been slowly selling off my collection in order to focus on the games that I really love. Who needs a ton of two player games, no matter how great they are, when the wife and I really just want to play Mr. Jack? Why bother getting Village (which looks really good) when Agricola is still tons of fun?

One thing that has always worked for me is to focus on the negative impressions/reviews as much as possible. I used to do the same thing when I would get the itch to resubscribe to World of Warcraft - a few minutes reading the posts in the official forums was usually enough to scare me away again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally there. Many unplayed games. Picking up stuff that is made for *gulp* one player. I saw Samurai Battles, Descent second edition, Runewars and felt sad - soooooo don't need another game that is awesome and won't get played.

Probably still going to be a dumbass and get them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See i dont have a massive amount of games, i have a few i enjoy playing and many on my wantlist... but im trying to save for a house deposit and things are too tempting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.