Subject: A Book on Napoleon: recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been surfing the net and Amazon, in particular, trying to find a book that gives a balanced treatment of Napoleon the man AND gives equal coverage to both the political and military aspects of his history. Any recommendations, men?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vincent Cronin

Napoleon Bonaparte

Very solid all around. Can be found used for a very reasonable price (about $10) on AbeBooks.com

Happy reading,

--JokerRulez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Tomassi
United States
Melvindale
Michigan
flag msg tools
"The Campaigns of Napoleon" by David Chandler 1966.
It covers Him from his military apprenticeship before 1796 through Waterloo. There are good sections on Tactics and Equipment. Every Campaign covers the political background and effects of each campaign. It also includes tables of organization in the back. It's over 1100 pages but the reading is smooth. New and used copies are still available. My copy is used. I picked it up 3 years ago for $20.

Don't confuse it with "Napoleon" by David Chandler. That book is a little 200 page picture book he knocked off years later for a quick buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree with that recommendation for the OP's question. There is an enormous emphasis placed on the military aspects in that book. Excellent for that purpose but not for what he is looking for.

Regards,

--JokerRulez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Yomtov
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
I realize that in the intervening year since you've asked this question, you may have already read a satisfactory book, but just in case, I offer you this:

I found The Rise of Napoleon Bonaparte and The Reign of Napoleon Bonaparte, by Robert Asprey. to be a very good introduction to the man's story. Two volumes, yes, but a good read all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Gonzalez
Portugal
Estoril
PORTUGAL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A late recomendation but...

For this game in particular there is a very acceptable book:

The War of Wars by Robert Harvey.

have some minor mistakes but generaly give Us the point that the Napoleonic Wars were esentially a struggle between Engand and France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.