Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I got a new boss and she absolutely hated me and and told me so. I would have resigned, but she beat me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got fired from the cafeteria in college. I thought I was funny, my boss did not. There is a fine line between witty banter and insubordination.

It worked out casue I didn't work much after that and got a part time minimum wage radio gig that was more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never been fired (yet)....knock on wood. I work for the same company I took a position with when I received my MBA over 19 years ago.

However, in my first job when I was 16 years old in central California, I took a job as a night time janitor. I cleaned 4 or 5 businesses after hours. I remember that in the local bank, I vaccuumed that floor like crazy that first night, but I guess I wasn't smart enough to make it look nice. It was very functional.....I'm sure that carpet was cleaner than it had been in a long time, but my boss got a call and he chewed me out for not vacuuming in nice straight lines (i had criss-crossed in my vacuuming). He explained that no only does it need to be clean, but it also needs to look clean. I learned a valuable lesson that day.

But I walked away with my job. When I look back now I think: "who else could he have hired to clean toilets in the middle of the night for minimum wage??!!??"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I was fired once from my first real high school job working in a supermarket deli/meat dept. But I walked back in later that night and pleaded my case to the dept and store managers, who gave me the second chance, and I stayed there until I left for college.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an instant dismissal in my first job because of two bananas and a black & white photograph. True story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I got laid off when a company merged.

I'm not sure if thats the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose some people haven't worked long enough to get fired much. If you ain't been fired, yer not doing yer job.

I got fired from my first job in 1966 after one day. I couldn't master the ice cream sandwich machine.

I got fired from a factory job in 1969 for reporting sexual harassment by a male supervisor. I was a week shy of union protection. They claimed I failed to pass the company physical and was hired by mistake. Assembling TVs was not a career choice. I was a long haired 19 year old guitar player in a band just trying to make rent money.

I got fired from a computer training sales job in 2008 after complaining about the six week delay in reimbursement of $200 in personal expenses they authorized. They handed me the check and fired me the same day.

I got fired from a New Business Development copier sales position on April 1st, 2010 for failure to make quota of $40,000 per month for 3 months in a row. I was the third person of 4 in that department to be fired. The 4th guy quit before he got fired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
have been fired twice, one I was about to leve anyway (I was movniing out of the area in about a week and had only taken teh job to tide me over untill Im moved. The other time it was a case of I hated the job and they were not keen on me (and subsequently tried to fuck me over getting other jsob).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once, it was suggested that I leave.

One of those I'm God managers. I was cleaning up my area. He was leaning on the door frame with my supervisor. I tossed a bit of something at the garbage can. I missed. "Pick this up. Put it in the can", he said. "Of course, when I clean my way to that end of the room," I said. "Now!" he said. "Why not do it yourself," I said. "You are standing right there."
He left in a big huff. Supervisor and I met rolled eyes. One of the owners of the company suggested I leave. Fuckers!

Got my revenge a few months later when the company was bought out and moved the whole shebang to Seattle, sans workforce. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fired because of my haircut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I got laid off when a company merged.

I'm not sure if thats the same thing.
I've been layed off about 5 times, and at least twice legitimately. I've quit a job twice. Is that 9 jobs total?

Oh, and I've just got my second seasonal layoff from the same company I worked for last year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I was fired was for turning up an hour late practically every day for a month.

The second time I was fired was for swearing at the manager after he gave me a ticking off.

The third time was for throwing a scoop of flour at a manager in a scotch egg factory, after he gave me some grief.

The fourth time was during my employment as a Q.A. inspector for a raw meat firm. I was supposed to log temperatures, on the hour every hour. After 3 days of writing the same number down give or take +/- 1. I thought to hell with this and more or less flipped a coin for what I wrote. Needless to say my paperwork was filled in for the entire day when the foreman checked first thing in the morning. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
Once when I was 20 I quit and walked off the job because of an excessively demanding and rude co-worker. When I showed up the next day to collect my paycheck the boss said I had to sign a termination notice before he'd give it to me ...which I later discovered was illegal.

So technically yes, although in my mind no I've never been fired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
After my first job at a McDonald's I worked at a bank as a teller for a few months...

It turns out I was switching numbers too much due to some slight dyslexia I had yet figured out I had. The let me go after too many switches and unbalanced drawers.

I agreed with them and hold nothing against them.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bear Gordon
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twice.

The first time was when I was working as a bus boy where I was caught in a lie about being sick and not coming in to work. Not terribly proud of that.

The second time I was selling cars and did not make the quota. I told the customers not to buy the crappy used cars that they ended up buying anyway on finance. That one I am proud of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, how long after you have been fired from a job do you feel like you don't necessarily have to check the box on applications for future employment that ask if "you have ever been fire from a position"?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fired from one job because I refused to fly (I'm unable to fly). I had offered to take vacation time and pay my own way to the destination via bus, but the manager decided I needed to "learn a lesson" - so I was fired.

I was fired from a second job because the people didn't think I was enjoying myself enough. The exact quote was that I "didn't smile enough." (mind you, I wasn't a customer-facing person, I was a copywriter, and they'd forgotten to even get me a desk, so they placed a chair facing a closet; took the door off and used a piece of plywood to extend the shelf outward -- so, I had to rest the plywood on my lap with the keyboard atop it, with the monitor in the closet ... and they wondered why I wasn't smiling "enough" (although, even more specifically, how could they even tell, since my entire day was spent facing the inside of a closet ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Out of curiosity, how long after you have been fired from a job do you feel like you don't necessarily have to check the box on applications for future employment that ask if "you have ever been fire from a position"?

-DK

The nice thing about being as old as I am is that 2 of the 3 companies I've been fired from have been closed for over 25 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
where's the "no" radio button?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:

The third time was for throwing a scoop of flour at a manager in a scotch egg factory, after he gave me some grief.

Mmmmm scotch egggggggs. I would hold onto that job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, chalk me up to a no.

But, I've only had 8 jobs in my life, if you count summer employment and part time when in college.

My first job out of school was a temp job and once the project was over I was let go, but that was known before I even started. They hired me for a permanent job a year later.

The current job I've been at for 14 years even though I've offered my resignation at least 3 times for 'issues' that I felt were in my control and lost money to the company. Yet, they keep me around. Guess I make more then I lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
zombiegod wrote:

Mmmmm scotch egggggggs. I would hold onto that job.

When I left home I moved within 5 minutes walking distance from it.

Then: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10614285

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fired myself the day that I sold my business.

Turns out that you can't collect unemployment in that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
where's the "no" radio button?

It was late - I forgot.

These are great stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.