Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been thinking of getting a new solitaire game but having trouble deciding which of these to get.

Yggdrasil:
I love the theme and it looks like it plays pretty well. It also seems similar in play to Legions of Darkness which isn't a bad thing. Although it is a little pricey and the board looks pretty large which can be an issue since I have limited table space and usually am either outside when playing or setting up a game on my bed. But this is also the only one I can currently just go and pick up from the local game store.

Space Infantry:
This looks pretty cool, but some of the components like the mission maps look pretty flimsy considering the relatively high price for the game. This would mean some additional cost since I would probably get the maps laminated. Plus can't seem to get it in any local stores so I would have to pay shipping costs too. Plus I would most likely give in and get the expansion with it and I'd be looking at about an $80 purchase.

Forlorn Hope:
Looks cool and I hear it is similar to Space Hulk which I will likely never be able to afford. I like the compact size of the maps and components but I am also not that pleased with VPG's marker quality and would also probably laminate the maps and sleeve the cards. My only other concern is whether or not Victory Point Games will re-release the game as a gold banner edition with much nicer chits only a few months after I already purchased it. It is also the cheapest of the 3.

The Walking Dead (Z-man games version based on comic): Don't know much about it but it looks pretty cool.

Those are the main 3 I'm considering.

I am also considering less seriously:

One of the 3 AD&D adventure board games which I can pick up from Barnes N Noble with my member discount plus an extra 15% off coupon if I get it by Sunday. Not sure which one of the 3 to get though and not sure I really like the sprawling dungeon tiles which would likely take up lots of space and be hard to play on the edge of the bed. I heard Drizzt is really good and adds lots of things, but Ravenloft and WoA both combine together very well so I could easily pick up one now and the other later to expand. And there are extra official adventures on the website.

Possibly considering getting the latest edition of Talisman which I can also get on discount and Barnes. I know it's not meant for solo play but it seems pretty possible. Or maybe a solitaire game could be made from just using the cards as someone suggested in my last recommendation thread. The downside is that the board is pretty huge. Would probably fit on the bed but don't think I have a regular table that could fit it. Especially if I get the expansions in the future. Speaking of, what if the small box expansions could be made into solo card games? Think it's possible? But, I'm also sure I could probably also get a good quality scan and just have a smaller board printed up for solo play.

And lastly, my local game shop has a copy of Doom: the boardgame for $50 still in shrinkwrap. I'm a big fan of the franchise and thinking if maybe I could figure out a way to combine it with Gears of war to make a solo game.

Anyways, the first 3 are the ones I'm most curious about since they are made for solitaire. Still on the fence about the ad&d games since I'm not sure I really want a dungeon crawler right now. Talisman seems like more of an adventure than a dungeon crawler but won't play solo right out of the box and I'm not likely to find anyone to play with anytime soon. The same goes for Doom.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Barham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror

Drizzt is brilliant and irons out some of the problems from Ravenloft though I only bought the second one yesterday so haven't tried it yet. so Drizzt might not be much better than 2 but still worth a buy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
These are not on your list, but here are some of my favorite solitaire or solo-multiplayer games:

d10-1 Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations - Fly campaigns of varying lengths against enemy nations. Build your squadron and watch as they gain experience and improve over time (or get show down!). Choose targets, all of which are different and pose different challenges, penalties, and rewards. My favorite game ever, solitaire or otherwise. The game can easily be broken down and the results recorded in case you can't finish a campaign at one sitting. Individual missions are playable in 30-60 minutes.

d10-2 Thunderbolt Apache Leader - Similar to above. It's very new and I haven't played it so much yet. More details than HL:CAO, with more options and different pressures as well. Similar, but also very different than HL:CAO. Highly recommended as well.

d10-3 Race for the Galaxy with Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm expansion. The expansion has the solitaire rules/pieces. Games play in 45 minutes or less. It's tough and you won't win each game. The solitaire game and the multiplayer (standard) game play differently from each other. I really enjoy this.

d10-4 I think Arkham Horror is a blast to play solitaire. I used to play it frequently but real life has gotten in the way recently. Some consider it fiddly but I don't look at the game that way. With so many characters, enemies, and random events, no game plays the same. It has tremendous variability. I highly recommend it for a thematic gaming experience. It can take a while and it also takes up a big footprint. So if you don't have a lot of space or can't finish it in one setting it may not be the best option. Great components, though!

d10-5 Defenders of the Realm seems to have a lot of potential, though I've only played it solitaire once. It has different characters, the AI plays off a card deck, so the enemies move unpredictably, a rich fantasy theme (I think), and great components. Once I have some more time on my hands I know this will see some more play time.

d10-6 Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game has a sci-fi crawler theme to it. I find it very fun, although it is a very non-traditional game. It's quite tough and tense. Pulling off a win is satisfying. It can be had pretty cheap, but it does have an impressive footprint for being a card game in such a small box. If you have an interest in Doom, Space Infantry, or Forlorn Hope, you may want to look into this.

I own Doom, and I know there are some solitaire variants out there. Check through the forums and you should find some help there. Great looking game and it won't be reprinted. You might want to pick it up.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Doom! That one's fairly hard to find. Sure it's not solo, but if you're a fan of the franchise, you'll want it eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Scott
United States
California
flag msg tools
madsocktm wrote:
Arkham Horror

I would agree but the OP said space was limited.

I would suggest Legend of Drizzt since it's available to you and have those discounts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Defenders of the realm does seem cool and have been thinking about it for a little bit.

I already have space hulk death angel and enjoy it.

I have considered arkham horror before which I could also get on discount, but due to the large play area needed and the long set-up/play time, it doesn't seem like a good choice for me and would likely just sit on the shelf. I don't have many other gamer friends who have the attention span for such a game either. I do have elder sign though and enjoy it.

I'm really not very interested in historical/military themed games.

I also have Gears of War, Red November, and Castle Panic already. Although Hornet Leader does look interesting. Not sure if it's really for me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read Forlorn: Hope only comes with 2 scenarios which turned me off. Also, the components seem a bit lacking for the price

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.