Popular Tags: [View All]
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I have played three games of Dawn of the Zeds, and I've won all three. The first one doesn't count since I had misunderstood some rules, but since this game is supposed to be very hard it seems likely that I've also done something wrong in the two other games (one of them was even an "Exceptional victory" where I only equipped one refugee).

Is there some common mistakes that noobs make in this game that makes it easier?

And by the way, if you're reading this Hermann: Thank you for making a great game. It oozes theme and it's the most fun I've ever had with solo game.

Best regards
- Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Morten!

Welcome to DotZ! It is indeed a great game! I too am amazed at your initial success.

Without seeing a "blow-by-blow" of one of your games, I recommend you downloading the DotZ FAQ, here on BGG or at the VPG website, which contains some clarifications and pointers that might highlight something you could be doing wrong. Also, the player's guide here (or at VPG also) has a few turn examples. Maybe reading a few turns might turn up something you could be handling differently.

Are you remembering to increase Infection levels appropriately? Placing Chaos counters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

it would be quite helpful if you described one or two game turns of yours.
Easiest way would be to start a new game and just describe your activities (and provide info about the cards you drew).

Classic errors (believe me, I've been there):
- Violating movement restrictions
- Forgetting Ammo spending
- Violating counter stacking limitations
- Missing cases of Infection level increasing
- Using wrong combat table columns
- Applying wrong combat results
- Forgetting to place Chaos markers
- Forgetting to apply Fate cards

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jaret

Thank you for helping me.

carnifex218 wrote:
Hello Morten!

Welcome to DotZ! It is indeed a great game! I too am amazed at your initial success.

Without seeing a "blow-by-blow" of one of your games, I recommend you downloading the DotZ FAQ, here on BGG or at the VPG website, which contains some clarifications and pointers that might highlight something you could be doing wrong. Also, the player's guide here (or at VPG also) has a few turn examples. Maybe reading a few turns might turn up something you could be handling differently.

I've read the FAQ, but wasn't aware of the player's guide. I'll read that and reread the rules+FAQ when I get the time.

carnifex218 wrote:
Are you remembering to increase Infection levels appropriately? Placing Chaos counters?

I think so

I place chaos counters when a zed enters a circle with a name on it.

I increase the infection level when:
- I clean up chaos
- I get attacked by zombies
- When a refugee unit is killed by a zed
- When instructed to do it by a card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuner 13 wrote:
Hi from Germany,

Hi from a bit north of you Thank you for helping me.

tuner 13 wrote:
it would be quite helpful if you described one or two game turns of yours.
Easiest way would be to start a new game and just describe your activities (and provide info about the cards you drew).

I'm in the middle of a game now, but perhaps it will be best to do it from the beginning?

tuner 13 wrote:
Classic errors (believe me, I've been there):
- Violating movement restrictions

Each unit only moves once per action phase and at the cost of an action. Heroes goes 4 squares max, civilians 2, and refugees 1 (refugees can also be moved during the refugee phase).

Damn, I just spotted my first mistake: I've allowed myself to move and make a barricade in the same turn.

tuner 13 wrote:
- Forgetting Ammo spending

I think I remember this, but if I forget to do it, I wouldn't really remember not doing it .

tuner 13 wrote:
- Violating counter stacking limitations

No stacking of heros/civilians except in town center. Zeds can stack up to two units.

tuner 13 wrote:
- Missing cases of Infection level increasing

See my answer in the previous post.

tuner 13 wrote:
- Using wrong combat table columns

I think I've got this one right (but it'll take a lot of text to explain how I do it without just retyping the rulebook ), though there's one case where I'm actually not sure about the rules - I'll get back to that in my next post.

tuner 13 wrote:
- Applying wrong combat results

Again this'll be hard to explain without retyping the rulebook . Is the some common pitfall here?

tuner 13 wrote:
- Forgetting to place Chaos markers

See my answer in the post above.

tuner 13 wrote:
- Forgetting to apply Fate cards

I've been close to missing the effect of fate cards, and once I've had to apply a card retroactively, but I don't think it helped me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one type of card where I'm in doubt about the rules: "... Night Assault". It says that "there are no Combat Terrain Shifts for friendly units."

I've interpreted this as meaning that barricades still works, since "Terrain" is a special word in the rules that refers to circles with text on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, now it happened: The zombies took revenge and gave me a rather severe thrashing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to also increase infection level when Refugees make it to Town Center.

As for Fate cards, just remember to apply the Fate card event EVERY time, not just on Outbreaks. For example, if an Event card has you draw a Fate card to determine a random location, you still have to apply that Fate event.

Barricades, now here is something you might be doing wrong. Barricades IS a terrain marker (and creates "terrain" even in a clear space). The 2-column shift from Barricades is definitely ignored in the case of your surprise or night assault. Just picture the zombies as somehow sneaking around your barricades or perhaps even being hidden in your secure area all along!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carnifex218 wrote:
Don't forget to also increase infection level when Refugees make it to Town Center.

Right, forgot that on my list, but I have remembered it when playing the game .

carnifex218 wrote:
As for Fate cards, just remember to apply the Fate card event EVERY time, not just on Outbreaks. For example, if an Event card has you draw a Fate card to determine a random location, you still have to apply that Fate event.

Yes, I play it that way - unless I forget sometimes

carnifex218 wrote:
Barricades, now here is something you might be doing wrong. Barricades IS a terrain marker (and creates "terrain" even in a clear space). The 2-column shift from Barricades is definitely ignored in the case of your surprise or night assault. Just picture the zombies as somehow sneaking around your barricades or perhaps even being hidden in your secure area all along!

You're right. I hadn't spotted the sentence in the rules saying that barricades are terrain. Thanks for pointing this out. Now we've found two mistakes I've made concerning barricades, both working in my favor, that'll probably explain why I've gotten such good results.

Thanks for helping me, I really appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anytime, Morten! I love this game, along with Uwe, we are glad to help! Let us know if you have any further questions! And keep an eye open for DotZ 2.0! The Gold Banner edition of Dawn of the Zeds is looking absolutely evil... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carnifex218 wrote:
Anytime, Morten! I love this game, along with Uwe, we are glad to help! Let us know if you have any further questions! And keep an eye open for DotZ 2.0! The Gold Banner edition of Dawn of the Zeds is looking absolutely evil... zombie

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that. I'm impressed that they announced it so long before it comes out, since it must cut into the sales of the current edition. On the other hand, knowledge of the new edition didn't stop me from buying the current one last week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won all my games in the beginning too... and then I found out the Zeds only have to enter the town center box, and are not required to win against the units there. That made a HUGE difference!! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

key point!

A single rule that cleverly prevents the player to simply pile up his/her remaining forces in the center space and counting on a one-sided battle of attrition.

Smart Hermann!

This idea is reflected in all States of Siege games.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This idea is reflected in all States of Siege games.

No. Most, but not all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, a fellow dane

brian asklev aursen wrote:
I won all my games in the beginning too... and then I found out the Zeds only have to enter the town center box, and are not required to win against the units there. That made a HUGE difference!!

Yeah, I can see how that would make things just a tiny bit easier .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Morton and welcome to DotZ! Thanks for all the kind comments. And thanks guys (Zeds posse?) for answering Morton's question and clarifying a few things. I was at WBC Saturday and am now in Asheville N.C. on vacation. I couldn't get a Wi-Fi signal for two days, by I have one now.
Thanks again!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Hermann

Great that you're dropping by my thread . I really like it when designers support their games in the way on The Geek.

And once again thank you for a really great game.

HORST324 wrote:
I couldn't get a Wi-Fi signal for two days, by I have one
now.

I can top that I've only been on the net once in the last 7 days because of a vacation trip.

Best regards
- Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.