Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I own all three versions of Ascension, and we absolutely love the game. But there is one card that has us kind of baffled. I can't remember it's name for some reason right now, but it is a Construct that says if you do a turn and do not aquire or defeat any card, you may draw two extra cards. My wife and I are curious... how is it even possible to NOT defeat or aquire a card in a turn. Even if you somehow have all high powered cards in the center, there is always the Mystic, High Infantry, Fanatic and Cultist. We have played a ton of games, and NEVER come across a situation where one of us couldn't at least take or defeat one of those cards. So are we getting that Construct card wrong???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have to chose to pass on something. Also, anything where you pay runes to get points doesn't count. In the iOS version, defeating Cultists doesn't count, either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing cards from your hand is always optional. There are times when you may have a Void hero in hand and not want to banish anything from your hand or discard, so you can choose to not play it (in which case it is discarded at the end of your turn, along with the non-construct cards you have played to the table).

That construct can played to the table, and then wait for a turn when you don't really like any of your options. You pass your turn and discard your hand, then have the chance for a much better draw with some extra card next time around. It's very situational, but can be be fun when done properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cruehitman wrote:
My wife and I own all three versions of Ascension, and we absolutely love the game. But there is one card that has us kind of baffled. I can't remember it's name for some reason right now, but it is a Construct that says if you do a turn and do not aquire or defeat any card, you may draw two extra cards. My wife and I are curious... how is it even possible to NOT defeat or aquire a card in a turn. Even if you somehow have all high powered cards in the center, there is always the Mystic, High Infantry, Fanatic and Cultist. We have played a ton of games, and NEVER come across a situation where one of us couldn't at least take or defeat one of those cards. So are we getting that Construct card wrong???

Dartha's Retreat (4/3, Enlightened Construct)

To me, it's mostly discard fodder when I have a choice to protect any of my better constructs (and it does give more VP than half the cost rounded down), or for effects like SoS' Scrap Flinger or Cog Maw + effect to make it mechana.

otherwise, you can do things like banish cards in your hand, banish cards in the center row, play cards that give you honor (e.g. Arha Initiate from base game, Yggrdasil Staff from base game, Negri Henge Queen, Lionheart from SoS), and still get your extra 2 cards for next turn.

iklinck wrote:
You might have to chose to pass on something. Also, anything where you pay runes to get points doesn't count. In the iOS version, defeating Cultists doesn't count, either...

Is that bug still there? I thought they were on top of these things... unless no1 ever told them and it's been festering among the online forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.