Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive seen threads that say you can report to bases. But Section 11 of the rules says that "When an expedition returns to Europe,,," you get points reoutfit etc. Can you end your expedition and get your VPs and everything from the CB base for example? Did I miss this in the rules?

Dissension and Rival Conquistador both say "Progress only possible if going to lowered numbered space." yet the cards themselves do not allow progress... I dont understand what this means. Does this mean even if you quell the dissension or beatdown the rival you still are no longer allowed to progress inland at all anymore in future turns?

Help would be appreciated.

I have had a lot of fun exploring this game. First solo campaign game was a success, Discovered Gold and the Caribbean in my first expedition, more gold and pearls in the 2nd and traversed the Amazon in the final adventure for 15 pts in 86 turns, though Im not sure I got all the rules 100 percent right I still very much enjoyed it. The four different sources to find rules sort of gave me a headache. But I am eager to try to take down an ancient civilization next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently acquired a second copy to play and I'm digesting the rules myself and find it hard to understand them as written. For a simple 1 fold rules sheet, I found it hard to decipher at times. This is what I read..

Above rule 11. top of page, "If returning to Europe OR a base, the expedition follows section 11. I do believe once you discover a Base, you will have to travel to Europe to publish your findings first to make it known before launching from or returning to it. So any additional bases discovered can be published at already known bases. That's how I understand it as written.

Not sure about your 2nd question, I have only tried some quick play throughs solitaire, though you can trade 1 provision for 1 progress. You can acquire provisions in many ways through your expedition actions (spend gold at new world base, eating horses if cavalry are present -exception..a "Hungry expedition may not trade provisions for progress-, or being present in a "P" space)

A video tutorial would be nice if anyone is up for it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first question is once the base has been placed, can I "report" to it and relaunch as if it were Europe, with the exceptions of returning natives, hardwood or gold.

And how do you indicate that you have delivered porters to CB Base, it seems you just need to remember.

I have enjoyed this game very much, but it is a bit of a puzzler to figure out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
RyanSturm wrote:
once the base has been placed, can I "report" to it and relaunch as if it were Europe, with the exceptions of returning natives, hardwood or gold.

Mostly, yes. Note that various cards (Cavalry, Cannons, etc.) cost extra when outfitting at a New World Base (instead of Europe).

Quote:
How do you indicate that you have delivered porters to CB Base?

You place the Porters chit on the boat, taking up a cargo space, when re-boarding the ship (see Let's Play, page 4, Natives for Europe). At the CB Base, you turn in that chit for 2 cards. This is just a delivery, not a discovery, and therefore is not marked. Players can do this any number of times, once per expedition returning to the CB base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
RyanSturm wrote:
Dissension and Rival Conquistador both say "Progress only possible if going to lowered numbered space." yet the cards themselves do not allow progress.

This is false. These cards *do* provide Progress, but only to lowered numbered board spaces, not to higher numbered ones. So, if you want to move further inland, you can't move. If you want to move "downstream", you do move 1 space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
TigerTailz wrote:
I do believe once you discover a Base [...]

Bases are *not* discovered; they are placed after certain game actions occur, as indicated on the chart "New World Base Placement" on the board (just above the VP track).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom!, Very much enjoying playing your game of a theme I absolutely love, I appreciate the timely clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.