Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Campaign Phase gives a numbered list of steps to be performed. Spending Experience is listed before Shopping. Must these steps be performed in order or can they be performed in parallel?

The reason I ask is that the Runemaster has an Inscribe Rune ability that enables him to give the Rune trait to a weapon. It would be more advantageous if the Runemaster could shop first and determine if an item worthy of this trait were available for purchase before spending experience on that ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RAW, yes, first you must spend xp, then you get to look at your shop cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udu Tont
Estonia
Tartu/Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest playing the steps as listed, i.e. first spending xp and then shopping. Why? No very good reason, really, it just seems kind of logical because the "spending" and "shopping" are listed in this order.

However, this really isn’t explicit in the rules. The rules do not state that the campaign phase steps have to be performed in the listed order. It just does not make sense to perform the other steps in any other order, e.g. to set up the quest before choosing a quest. However, you could perform Spend and Shop steps in any order or at the same time with no problem. Also, the detailed instructions on spending xp and shopping do not state a clear order: all of this happens after questing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would personally just go to a generic "shopping phase" after the quest and let the players have full information on what items are available before buying anything.

If we're not done with the current session, I would also ask them to pick the next quest while this is going on, so that I could spend any OL experience and start setting up the next quest while they debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I would personally follow it as written in the book. The skills learned are gained by "XP" in this game, or the experiences the Heroes gained by fighting in the dungeon (and perhaps honed on their trek home). By the time it's time to shop, their skills have already improved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Technically yes.

Examples:
Might not want to learn Dirty Tricks if a Sling instead of some Melee weapons is available. Might not want to buy Defend just yet if there's no armor available. You don't get to wait and see though, those need to be blind learns.

Similarly, OL doesn't get to see if you upgrade ALL YOUR WEAPONS before buying some tanking/healing skill.

Probably a really minor thing in practice though, I can see that easily ignored and toss all buying of skills+items into one phase.

That way you don't have to wait at the shop until AP guy is done deciding between Asplodezombie now or Army of Dead later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.