Subject: Map of Poland and the Baltic States, c. 1920 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't already know about it, Strange Maps by Frank Jacobs is a GREAT blog. The map here is from his latest entry, showing Poland and the Baltics in an unfamiliar, fleeting configuration. For me this is fascinating because it is something between the familiar (to me as history, map, and wargame geek) 1914 pre-WW1 configuration of this part of Europe, and the pre-WW2 borders of say 1936.

The blogger also publishes a blog at the New York Times called Borderlines, also highly recommended for map geeks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It is odd to see that southeastern finger of Lithuania jutting so far south. Now my Strike of the Eagle map makes more sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capt_S wrote:
It is odd to see that southeastern finger of Lithuania jutting so far south. Now my Strike of the Eagle map makes more sense to me.

That's clearly a treaty map, as indicated by the areas for plebiscite. IIRC, Poland added some additional territory at the expense of Lithuania and Russia in fighting.

Edit: Also note that map shows four Baltic States, not three. Even as a proposal that one's new to me. It was a complicated period of history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pygmy Wars. The most comprehensive resource on the net (in English) for 1919-1921. Freikorps vs. Latvia vs. Poland vs. Soviets vs. Czech Legion. You can spend days reading it, and it's ALL NEW (to us) as it's a neglected area of history (in English). The guy's a wargamer, too, so there's lots of info for interested parties: maps, orders of battle, a list of published games on the topic, etc. Just browse around. My favorite is the website's history section:

Quote:
Polish-Soviet War of 1920
Polish studies of the Battle of Warsaw and the situation which led Pilsudski to offer battle there.

Bulak-Balakovich and the NDA
A look at one of the great adventurers of the Russian Civil War and his involvement in one of the least known campaigns.

Astrakhan' and the lower Volga in 1919
While the campaigns of Denikin in the Ukraine and Wrangel near Tsaritsyn were under way, there was also quite a lot of fighting around Astrakhan. This section links some information relating to that – although not in anything like a systematic manner.

Latvia 1919
A study of the Freikorps campaigns in the Baltic in 1919, with particular attention to the Battle of Cēsis.

Poland's Eastern Borders in 1919
An introduction to the campaigns Poland fought against Galician Ukraine and the Soviets in 1919.

Soviet Hungary vs Romania 1919
Some details on the war which brought down Bela Kun's Soviet Hungarian government and led to the annexation of the disputed Transylvanian territory Romania.

Dobrynin on the Don Cossack Host
A translation of Colonel Dobrynin's book about the Don Cossacks' war with Soviet Russia.

The Battle of Komarów/Cześniki
The most famous battle of the Soviet-Polish War of 1920 analysed in some detail.

The Lost Legion
A copy of the memoirs of a Czech Legionary, with excellent details of fighting the Soviets.

Articles on cavalry in the Pygmy Wars
Some articles discussing cavalry in the Russian Civil War and Russo-Polish War. They include both technical discussions and examples of actual operations.

Eyewitnesses to the Pygmy Wars
Short accounts of the various campaigns by people who were actually there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
League of Nations territory? (Do you see it there to the west of northern Lithuania?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
League of Nations territory? (Do you see it there to the west of northern Lithuania?)

I may be wrong, but I recall from Hitler's pre-war list of annexations of German enclaves (Rhineland, Sudentenland, etc.) that he annexed a part of Lithuania called "Memel" that was largely German. I am guessing what you see was taken from Germany as part of the "resolution" of World War I and given to Lithuania later. Just a guess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeWhit wrote:
Quote:

I may be wrong, but I recall from Hitler's pre-war list of annexations of German enclaves (Rhineland, Sudentenland, etc.) that he annexed a part of Lithuania called "Memel" that was largely German. I am guessing what you see was taken from Germany as part of the "resolution" of World War I and given to Lithuania later. Just a guess...

A very good one.

Oddly, the first I ever read about this bit of history (that war continued after 1918 in this area) was, again IIRC, in a book about Royal Navy V&W class destroyers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I had NO idea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939_German_ultimatum_to_Lithua...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeWhit wrote:
Quote:

There was a medal struck to commemorate this; suffice to say, it was a big deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memel_Medal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
For a relative comparison, here is a partial scan from a map in my personal collection. This is from the "Atlas of the War in Europe," issued by the The Cleveland Leader and The Cleveland News. Copyright is 1914, by George F. Cram, Chicago, Ill. I thought it would make for an interesting before to the OP's after.

Apologies for the quality of the map. It is an original and shows it's age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Also should note that territory in this general region was "Germanicized" as borders continued to evolve.

Devotees of the Grossdeutschland division will be familiar with Vilkvaviskis, which the Germans renamed Wilkowischken, thanks to a famous series of propaganda photos.

The GD division launched a powerful counter-attack north through the area in the autumn of 1944, and in the spring of 1945 retreated through Memel where if memory serves, the division was destroyed. All the German names have long been exchanged back for Polish or Lithuanian ones, making it difficult to find place names from contemporary histories on current maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was having a look at Google Maps and it appears that the area around Kaliningrad (the old Konigsberg) is now Russian? Cut off from the Motherland it appears:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaliningrad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Capt_S wrote:

That's clearly a treaty map, as indicated by the areas for plebiscite. IIRC, Poland added some additional territory at the expense of Lithuania and Russia in fighting.

Edit: Also note that map shows four Baltic States, not three. Even as a proposal that one's new to me. It was a complicated period of history.

You likely mean Soviet Union.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Capt_S wrote:
I was having a look at Google Maps and it appears that the area around Kaliningrad (the old Konigsberg) is now Russian? Cut off from the Motherland it appears:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaliningrad

It is indeed a Russian exclave - Kaliningrad being the renamed Koenigsburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Capt_S wrote:

Very useful visuals to accompany "1919": like kneeling over them with Woodrow & friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gvonl wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Capt_S wrote:

You likely mean Soviet Union.

No, I do not mean Soviet Union. The area usually referred to these days as the Baltic States contained three (but the map, which appears to be a proposal rather than an actuality, shows four) that were independent from the USSR between the wars, and again today. They were part of the USSR from 1940 to its breakup. They were part of Russia before the end of WWI (and had a complicated history before then).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.