Subject: Help Me (Spend my money on shorter playing boardgames) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello all,

With my yearly Gencon splurge/purchasing spree right around the corner I decided it was time to enlist the BGG community in assisting me with what to buy.

A couple qualifiers first:
-I prefer 'thematic' games, rather than dry abstracts (though Euro or Ameritrash is fine)
-I am specifically looking for games that can be completed in 30 minutes or less. Setup time can be separate from this, but it would be nice if it was accounted for in the 30 mins
-Multi-player games are more preferable than two-player games (though I'm not ruling out a two-player only game)
-Lighter games are more preferable to heavy ones. I actually prefer more complex games, but I'm looking to specifically fill out my collection of 'filler' games (of which I have practically none)

So far I'm thinking:
-King of Tokyo
-Tsuro
-Cash and Guns
-Neuroshima Hex
-Citadels
(As you can tell maybe helping me with some more 'Euro' options wouldn't be a terrible idea)

So far what I am not thinking: (mostly because I own them or have played them, and don't care to own them)(some of them I am thinking of getting so it's mostly just that the suggestion won't mean anything)
-Carcossonne (own it, really enjoy it)
-Seven Wonders (played it, like it, am thinking about it)
-Bang (own, like okay-ish)
-Guillotine (played a lot, like for a non-complex game but am looking for things I'm not as familiar with)

*Finally, I know there is a Geeklist of 25-30 min games out there but most of them haven't been commented on, thus not helpful for what I am wanting.

Thanks everyone!

~Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for King of Tokyo.
It is just a dam fun game that fits exactly what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the reply! I'm leaning pretty heavily towards King of Tokyo (for one of them anyway).

Anyone else have some suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll recommend For Sale and No Thanks!.

I'm also not certain Citadels can be played in 30 minutes. Maybe once everyone playing has some experience with it. (I've only played it 3 times.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bohnet
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with Neuroshima Hex has been that it didn't play fast, and actually felt like a bit of a brain-burner. Perhaps that says more about my group really trying to plan out everything, but it didn't feel too fast/light to me.

I've been thinking about picking up this tile game called Mondo -- it is light and fast. Each player is basically trying to build their own island by pulling tiles from a center pool. Each round has a 7 min. timer. Not so interactive, but maybe it is one to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another for King of Tokyo! Great rolling fun!

Family Business is some great mobster fun. I am pretty sure this is where the idea for Guillotine came from, but rather than beheading the French for points, you are trying to protect your own mobsters from being shot against the wall, all while putting contracts on your enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to get rid of one, Cash and Guns. It definitely came across as me having one of those, "Wait, that's a game?" moments. I slightly pause on Tsuro due to Tsuro of the Seas coming out and offering what looks like more dynamic gameplay. Citadels likely isn't fitting the 30 minute time frame. Neuroshima Hex gets good enough press to be a contender. I have King of Tokyo and like it a lot. What little issues I have with the game will mostly be taken care off once the expansion pack comes out later this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance

...and he lived happily ever after.

The End.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Uncle Pennybags
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm, Thematic VERSES "dry" abstracts??? Oh, well... +1 for King of Tokyo.
P.S. I am currently having a great time with my family playing an unpublished Thematic Abstract. Is IS possible - trust me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance is fantastic though you would need at least five players.

King of Tokyo is definitely the front runner here; I couldn't imagine a better fit for your criteria. In addition, the game is just silly fun.

With a desire to be finished in 30 minutes, you can safely remove Citadels from your list.

Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed Tsuro, especially with friends that aren't traditionally gamers if you would like to take that into account. It's a fast game: 5 minutes to learn/teach, have yet to play a game longer than 10 minutes. I wouldn't want to play this one repeatedly for a long span. I played it 5 times in one night and afterward longed for something a little more complex.

In all, probably the best $20 I've spent at Cool Stuff Inc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small A euro that is about a 25-30 min game for only 2 players. Worker placement/action taking, creating and growing a farm full of animals. Not sure if this theme appeals to you at all.
Ra: The Dice Game runs 20-30 min for 2-4 players. A little addictive.
Samurai might be a little longer than your criteria, but not much.
Biblios card game that has 2 phases: gift and auction. Plays well with 2-4.
Fairy Tale Card game with mechanism similar to 7 Wonders, taking and passing cards to build up your play area. Very fast once you learn the icons (took about 10-15 min to figure it out the first time we played). We usually play best 2 of 3, or 3 of 5 because it is such a fast game. I like it with 2-4, never tried with 5, but I think people here like it with 5.
7 Wonders Looks like a big board game by the box, but plays great 3-7 in about 30 min.

+1 Citadels though it may run a little longer if more players. We have only tried with 2, and it may run 30-40 for us, but very worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the additional replies. Mondo seems like it may work. I'll have to try it and see how it plays.

I'm fairly certain I would like the Resistance, and it would work well for a bigger gathering (though these don't happen as much for me). Of course, with it being only $12 or so on Coolstuffinc I suppose it doesn't matter if it doesn't get played much. How does it play with only five players?

I've played family business quite a bit with the family (nyuck nyuck nyuck) and enjoy it, though since my sister owns it I won't be picking it up.

I'm definitely down for the whole farming/building/shipping/whatnot themes that many euros seem to do. I'll have to look at the Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small game. Then again, maybe I should first get around to playing my copy of Agricola! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:

I'm fairly certain I would like the Resistance...How does it play with only five players?

I love it SO much with only five players. I feel the game is at its most balanced with five. Only my opinion, but that game will pay for itself the first time you table it. You'll play again and again and again and again.

We played it ten times the first time it was tabled, and never less than five, since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
WhiteRider27 wrote:

I'm fairly certain I would like the Resistance...How does it play with only five players?

I love it SO much with only five players. I feel the game is at its most balanced with five. Only my opinion, but that game will pay for itself the first time you table it. You'll play again and again and again and again.

We played it ten times the first time it was tabled, and never less than five, since.

Awesome! Thanks for the input. That was definitely one of my concerns. I'm very much one of those people who wants to play a game at its 'optimum'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Edwards
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to be contrary but

1) Put Cash & Guns back on the list. It fits with what you want and is pure fun.

2) I play a lot of Resistance and love it but I refuse to play it with 5 and don't want to play it with 6. You need 7+ if you are shooting for optimum. With 5 you are going to figure out the spies every time; I'm glad some people have had fun with five but I thought the company was dishonest to say it plays at that low of a number.

3) I know I'm in the minority but I found Tsuro to be a miserable experience from the very first game.

To show I can be agreeable I'll put in another vote for the clear favorite King of Tokyo.

P.S. I've heard experienced players can knock out games of Race for the Galaxy in essentially 30 minutes. I certainly can't but it is a great game and does seem like once you know the game you could move along at a good clip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWildcat wrote:
2) I play a lot of Resistance and love it but I refuse to play it with 5 and don't want to play it with 6. You need 7+ if you are shooting for optimum. With 5 you are going to figure out the spies every time; I'm glad some people have had fun with five but I thought the company was dishonest to say it plays at that low of a number.

In our group, with five, we can usually figure out who ONE of the spies are, but never both - unless one of them makes a stupid mistake - which is where the great balance comes in, again in my opinion. With six players it's MUCH harder for the resistance. When we play with five people, it's about a 45% Spies win, to a 55% Resistance win. With six, it's more like 85% Spies, and 15% Resistance. I will agree that it's also very good with 7+ when you mix in the expansion cards, which makes it easier for the Resistance.

Two of my friends have purchased the game after playing with only five players. It's just so much freaking fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWildcat wrote:

So it was easier to find all of the spies with 5 players and 2 being spies versus 7 players with 3 being spies? If 7+ is the best, 10 players have 4 spies which is the same ratio as 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
*bump*

Anyone else have any more suggestions? I'd certainly appreciate it! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Cabezon
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestions more in the card-like filler side:

- Mamma Mia!: A must-have filler about making pizza.
- Saboteur: Don't be fooled by the name. Yes, it contains the word Monopoly and it is about Monopoly, but it's 10 times funnier, you spend the whole time messing up the opponent's cards, is FAST and CHEAP.
- Monopoly Deal Card Game: Really funny when there is a lot of people.
- Keltis: Das Kartenspiel: When we bought it we almost burn it by playing it each day... Way funnier than the board version.

And medium-weight fillers:
- Pergamon: A slightly more complex version of Archaeology: The Card Game (which, btw, I also recommend in the card-like group) nicely crafted and worthy of each coin.
- Carcassonne: The Castle: If you like Carcassonne, you'll love this 2-player version of Knizia.
- Hey, That's My Fish!: A must-have. More strategic than you might think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:
Hello all,

With my yearly Gencon splurge/purchasing spree right around the corner I decided it was time to enlist the BGG community in assisting me with what to buy.

A couple qualifiers first:
-I prefer 'thematic' games, rather than dry abstracts (though Euro or Ameritrash is fine)
-I am specifically looking for games that can be completed in 30 minutes or less. Setup time can be separate from this, but it would be nice if it was accounted for in the 30 mins
-Multi-player games are more preferable than two-player games (though I'm not ruling out a two-player only game)
-Lighter games are more preferable to heavy ones. I actually prefer more complex games, but I'm looking to specifically fill out my collection of 'filler' games (of which I have practically none)

So far I'm thinking:
-King of Tokyo
-Tsuro
-Cash and Guns
-Neuroshima Hex
-Citadels
(As you can tell maybe helping me with some more 'Euro' options wouldn't be a terrible idea)

So far what I am not thinking: (mostly because I own them or have played them, and don't care to own them)(some of them I am thinking of getting so it's mostly just that the suggestion won't mean anything)
-Carcossonne (own it, really enjoy it)
-Seven Wonders (played it, like it, am thinking about it)
-Bang (own, like okay-ish)
-Guillotine (played a lot, like for a non-complex game but am looking for things I'm not as familiar with)

*Finally, I know there is a Geeklist of 25-30 min games out there but most of them haven't been commented on, thus not helpful for what I am wanting.

Thanks everyone!

~Jesse

+1 for For Sale & The Resistance. Also suggest Quarriors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Archaeology the Card Game (plays in about 20 mins), Forbidden Island. I also had massive success playing Reverse Charades with family and non-gaming friends.

What about Shadow Hunters? Sometimes our games last 30 mins (if everyone goes in stabbing at the start).

Yomi also plays in about 20 mins, and I'd recommend getting the boxed set as its amazing. Very thematic too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Romero
United States
Jacksonville
FL -
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to The Resistance- Very fun game.

+.5 To Cash and Guns- Not much strategy really, just lends itself to obnoxious fun.

How about Guillotine? That's a pretty fun quick game that is pretty light. It's a perfect "filler" game. I've not had anyone not like it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the filler games that make it to the table most often with my friends and family. The ed ones are most often requested, but all are easy setup and good fillers.

Can't Stop
Coloretto
Excape
Get Bit!
Unnamed Object
Mord im Arosa
Pick Picknic
Pocket Rockets
Pow Wow
The Resistance
Ricochet Robots
Sushizock im Gockelwok
Ubongo Extreme

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign
Blood Bowl Team Manager
Any of the 'Pocket Battles' games(2p only)
Innovation(playtime varies)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.