Subject: Why so expensive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete S
United States
MACUNGIE
PA
flag msg tools
Check out my shop at BoardGameBoost.com!
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just curious if anyone had any thoughts on this. The expansion costs almost as much as the base game! And I realize this is nothing that hasn't been seen before, but still... is there anything particular about this expansion that makes it so expensive? And, is it generally considered to be worth it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Fischer
United States
Ellendale
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is always in the last place you look
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the same thoughts & that I why I've held off buying it. This and the Age of Empires expansion have a high enough price tag to keep me from purchasing them so far.

And I enjoy Cyclades so much as it is, I don't feel the need to add to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO the expansion is a must. The 4 different modules, of which you can use all or only some. I especially like the addition of all the gods which I thought were missing from the base game, like Hera, Hermes (and of course Hades!).
Hera is a nice counter to "Zeus Spamming"; and fits with all the scheming and intrigue between the two in the mythology. The priestess cards are also a must IMO; they allow you to keep creatures/heroes longer than one turn without spending a bunch of money.
As to cost of the expansion, shop around. One guy on eBay was selling it for a buy-it-now of $24.99 (and a starting bid of only $19.99)..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete S
United States
MACUNGIE
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info! I'll definitely keep an eye out for a good price, as I am excited to add the new elements to the game. I just wish they would generally price expansions at half or less than the cost of the base games. Wishful thinking, I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matagot Contact
Switzerland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, price will always be an issue and generate a lot of discussion between a publisher and the customers.

All I can say is that this expansion took a long time to be designed, and offers four different add-ons, each of them adding a new level to the game.

I'm sure some publishers would have release four different boxes in order to get an even higher price tag. We choose to put everything into one box.

And of course there are the material cost. We decided to go for more figurines, to match the quality of Cyclades, and thick tiles for the new minor gods. All of this has a cost, but we thought it was worth it because we wanted Cyclades and its expansion to be not only a great game, but also a gorgeous game.

What I want to say here, is that we are not trying to rip people off, we're just trying to provide our customer with a great expansion at a cost that is reasonable for them and for us too.

Fabien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I bought this last year at Essen, I did suck in a breath at the cost.

However, upon sampling the contents, I have not regretted the purchase, and we've always used all the additions this brings to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Fischer
United States
Ellendale
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is always in the last place you look
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response, this actually helps me quite a bit. I'm am glad to hear what you were striving for, what obstacles were faced affecting cost and you've converted me from skeptical to a willing customer.

matagot_contact wrote:
Well, price will always be an issue and generate a lot of discussion between a publisher and the customers.

All I can say is that this expansion took a long time to be designed, and offers four different add-ons, each of them adding a new level to the game.

I'm sure some publishers would have release four different boxes in order to get an even higher price tag. We choose to put everything into one box.

And of course there are the material cost. We decided to go for more figurines, to match the quality of Cyclades, and thick tiles for the new minor gods. All of this has a cost, but we thought it was worth it because we wanted Cyclades and its expansion to be not only a great game, but also a gorgeous game.

What I want to say here, is that we are not trying to rip people off, we're just trying to provide our customer with a great expansion at a cost that is reasonable for them and for us too.

Fabien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete S
United States
MACUNGIE
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
matagot_contact wrote:

Fabien

Thank you, Fabien, for not only watching fan sites like BGG for discussions like this that could use your input, but for addressing the concern with such an honest and informative response. Much like Kelly, you have turned me from hesitant and skeptical to a customer happy to pay for a great product (which, incidentally, I just did!).

It truly is great to be part of a hobby that has a community where fans can chat AND designers/publishers can join in. Can't think of too many others that have that dynamic.

Thanks again Fabien.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcpete22 wrote:
matagot_contact wrote:

Fabien

Thank you, Fabien, for not only watching fan sites like BGG for discussions like this that could use your input, but for addressing the concern with such an honest and informative response. Much like Kelly, you have turned me from hesitant and skeptical to a customer happy to pay for a great product (which, incidentally, I just did!).

It truly is great to be part of a hobby that has a community where fans can chat AND designers/publishers can join in. Can't think of too many others that have that dynamic.

Thanks again Fabien.

I think you'll really like the expansion. There is lots of cool stuff in it, and the quality is outstanding. I still can't get over the quality, and how beautiful all the components of Cyclades are..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand the compliant. The expansion is $10 cheaper than the base game. That's about 25% cheaper. Either way, it's priced about the same as other expansions that I purchase.

Is it worth the price tag? Well, it saved the game for my group. It turned Cyclades from a "meh" game into an extremely engaging and fun experience. It adds a lot to the gameplay and it's worth checking out imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.