Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I've used my avatar, the Enchanted Bunny, in the title of my first geeklist, the Enchanted Bunny Goes to Essen 2012. So in hopes of starting a tradition, the Enchanted Bunny will now be mentioned in the title of my future geeklists, auctions, reviews, and sessions.

It just so happens that I came across Coco Capitano when I first discovered the Spiel 2012 Preview. My initial attraction was that the game is a Press Your Luck, Dice Rolling, children's game for 2-4 players and plays in about 10 minutes. I have a 16-old step-daughter with Autism, a 7-year old son, and another daughter that is actually due today (August 4th) but has not decided to bless us with her presence yet. So, I'm always on the lookout to find new and fun games that are not too difficult for my daughter yet fun enough to keep the whole family engaged.

So, my initial plan was to add it to my geeklist and visit the HUCH! booth at Essen in order to obtain a copy. Well, to my surprise, I found one lone copy at Spiel-Offensive for just 8,99€. So what does any good gamer dad do? You guessed it! I ordered it on the spot (including Sushizock im Gockelwok in order to get free shipping)!

It arrived one day later, and my 7-year old son was eager to see what was in the package.

The Components:

Coco Capitano comes in a small 130mm x 130mm x 42.5mm box (sorry guys, but living in Germany has pushed me over to the dark side of the Metric system). Inside the box was one rulebook with German, English, French, and Dutch (Netherlands) instructions. Next, there were four cardboard sheets wrapped in plastic shrink wrap. Finally, a small plastic Zip-loc type bag with two wooden dice and three plastic stands were resting inside the small cardboard insert.

When I removed the shrink wrap from the cardboard sheets, I was amazed at the quality of the tokens! Each cardboard sheet was very thick and colored on both sides. They measured 2mm in thickness and are quite hefty. All 7 Islands tiles, 27 Treasure tiles (valued at 1, 2, or 3 Treasures), and the 3 playing pieces (Coco Capitano, Pirate Joe, and the Little Monkey) were all punched clean very easily without any tears or damage to the tiles. The playing pieces fit very, very snug into their plastic stands. Normally, I remove my Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game playing pieces from their plastic stands when storing the game, but these fit so snug I decided to leave them attached due to fear of tearing the tile.

The Game:

So, my son was so excited about the Little Monkey that he wanted to play right away. Unfortunately, my step-daughter was not at home so it was just the three of us.

The set-up was very simple. First, you place all 7 Islands in a circle in the center of the table. Next, you shuffle all 27 Treasure tiles and place them in a pile stacked face-up in the center of the Islands. Finally, place the 3 playing pieces spread out as evenly as possible on 3 different Islands. The youngest player goes first.

On the active player's turn, they first roll both dice. The Pirate Die is resolved first. The Pirate Die has 1 or 2 Sabres representing Pirate Joe and 1 or 2 Bananas representing the Little Monkey. The number of symbols shows how far each Pirate will move. The results of the Pirate Die only allow Pirate Joe or the Little Monkey to move; never both during the same roll. For example, if the Pirate Die shows 2 Sabres, the active player moves Pirate Joe two Islands clockwise.

The Capitano Die is resolved next, which has 1, 2, or 3 pips representing how far Coco Capitano will move. For example, if the Capitano Die shows 3 pips, the active player moves Coco Capitano three Islands clockwise. All player pieces always move clockwise.

If Coco Capitano ends his movement on an empty Island not occupied by Pirate Joe or the Little Monkey, the active player takes 1 Treasure tile from the face-up stack in the center. But now comes the decision to re-roll the dice, or secure your Treasure.

The active player may stop rolling and secure their treasure by placing it face-down in front of them. If the active player chooses to end their turn, they would pass both dice to the next player. Or the active player may press their luck and re-roll again to try and get more treasure. If Coco Capitano continues to end his movement on an empty Island, the active player takes an additional Treasure from the center stack. The active player may roll the dice and move the playing pieces as often as they feel lucky.

However, if Coco Capitano ends their movement on an Island where Pirate Joe or the Little Monkey are, the active player loses all the face-up Treasure tiles they were collecting during their current turn. All other face-down Treasure tiles are secure and cannot be stolen by the Pirates. Now the dice is passed on to the next player.

The game ends as soon as a player takes the last face-up Treasure tile from the center. Each player counts the value of each of their Treasure tiles (either 1, 2, or 3) and adds them up for the final score. The highest score is the winner!

Conclusion:

Be prepared for everyone to laugh out loud and have fun playing this game. We all got into character when moving the different player pieces. Especially my son who would make monkey sounds when moving the Little Monkey! Whenever someone was faced with the difficult decision to re-roll the dice, we would either have them doubt themselves or encourage them to roll again depending if we thought we were winning or not.

Whenever Coco Capitano ended his movement on an Island with Pirate Joe or the Little Monkey, we would throw our hands up in the air and laugh hysterically (especially if it wasn't me of course)! But the active player would always bury their face in their hands, and return their Treasure tokens to the box with a look of sorrow.

We all enjoyed this game and I'm sure it will see the table more often than other children's titles in my collection. I personally rate it a 6 out of 10 and will normally play it if suggested by my kids. My son gave it two monkey thumbsup!

Thanks for reading and remember that, "Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Salisch
Germany
Pirmasens
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my youtube channel: Patrick Salisch
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good preview for Essen buddy! Like i said in a other thread, this game "Coco'd" me . Very good game for families, simple, fast and it has a good and sturdy quality!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Bassiaux
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Robert,

I bought the game for my 3-year old son just based on your great preview

He'll have to wait for Christmas though, but it will be a surprise, he has no idea I bought him a pirate game

I couldn't find it at Essen at first.
I went to the publisher's booth, but there was just an exhibition copy, not even a demo one. They told me to look for the game in the stores in Halls 4 and 5, but I asked almost everywhere and couldn't find it.
I then went back on Sunday evening and asked if I could buy the exhibition copy, and I got it for half price (5 Euro, a real bargain !).

Just wanted to know where I could download an English copy of the rules, my German is a little rusty, although it isn't very complicated.

Of course, your description of the game could very well pass for the rules

Thank you in advance !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.