James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I am new to Cyclades, and have a couple of questions. The rules booklet states the game is basically a contest between 5 of the Greek city-states: Athens, Sparta, Corinth, Thebes and Argos.
To which of these do the 5 game colors belong? Also, what are the characters on the property markers for each city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other threads about the same topic and I think most of them send back to this one.

One problem with assigning a color to each city is, different printings of the game have the same miniatures in different colors: for example, the dual-wielding guy is black in my box, red in a friend of mine's and yellow in our club's.

So it's up to you deciding which color belongs to each city.

You'll have lots of fun with this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombadillo wrote:
There are other threads about the same topic and I think most of them send back to this one.

One problem with assigning a color to each city is, different printings of the game have the same miniatures in different colors: for example, the dual-wielding guy is black in my box, red in a friend of mine's and yellow in our club's.

So it's up to you deciding which color belongs to each city.

You'll have lots of fun with this game!

Yeah, sorry I found out about the other threads afterwards; I am new to posting about Cyclades. I had thought red was Sparta, due to the red capes the Spartans wear in "300". Unless that is not accurate. Others here say black is the Spartan color. ??
I'm thinking maybe blue for Athens and Yellow for Corinth, but doesn't tell me which is Thebes and which is Argos. I will do some more research before I start painting miniatures..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
capn_tucker wrote:
Yeah, sorry I found out about the other threads afterwards; I am new to posting about Cyclades.

I would say there's no problem at all: I only wished to link you to an ongoing thread that could be helpful to you!

capn_tucker wrote:
I had thought red was Sparta, due to the red capes the Spartans wear in "300". Unless that is not accurate. Others here say black is the Spartan color. ??
I'm thinking maybe blue for Athens and Yellow for Corinth, but doesn't tell me which is Thebes and which is Argos. I will do some more research before I start painting miniatures..

The images on the screens are pretty generic in my opinion and can be assigned to whatever city you like: I think the only ones somehow "fixed" are the yellow (Thebes) and black (Sparta) ones.

In fact yellow has the Sphinx (she was sent as kind of a punishment against Thebes) whilst black's imagery closely reminds the "300" movie (even though, as I noticed in my short review, Cyclades handles classical Greece with proper respect).

The remaining three are so generic they can be assigned to the remaining cities as one likes better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombadillo wrote:
capn_tucker wrote:
Yeah, sorry I found out about the other threads afterwards; I am new to posting about Cyclades.

I would say there's no problem at all: I only wished to link you to an ongoing thread that could be helpful to you!

capn_tucker wrote:
I had thought red was Sparta, due to the red capes the Spartans wear in "300". Unless that is not accurate. Others here say black is the Spartan color. ??

The images on the screens are pretty generic in my opinion and can be assigned to whatever city you like: I think the only ones somehow "fixed" are the yellow (Thebes) and black (Sparta) ones.

In fact yellow has the Sphinx (she was sent as kind of a punishment against Thebes) whilst black's imagery closely reminds the "300" movie (even though, as I noticed in my short review, Cyclades handles classical Greece with proper respect).

The remaining three are so generic they can be assigned to the remaining cities as one likes better.

Thanks, I guess Sparta will have the black figure bases and Thebes the yellow ones. I was trying to be historically correct, but that seems to be hard to do. I've found Athenian, Spartan and Theban hoplite miniatures, but so far nothing for Corinthian and Argives. I'll keep looking..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, since one of the molds is a female warrior, you might find convenient to ignore one of the "official" cities and replace it with the Amazons: after all, one of the Hades expansion's heroes is the Amazon queen Pentesilea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombadillo wrote:
By the way, since one of the molds is a female warrior, you might find convenient to ignore one of the "official" cities and replace it with the Amazons: after all, one of the Hades expansion's heroes is the Amazon queen Pentesilea.

That's a possibility. There are a TON of Amazon miniatures on the market. I could always have a set of the 5 historical cities, plus Amazons as an incentive for lady friends to play..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.