Scott Sims
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would gain 1VP for Mine action, but not for the Recruit action??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what the rules say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But in Recruit, you actually add 2 troops, not remove, so I don't know why you're even comparing the two actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason you use recruit to remove troops is if they are stranded at different planets or if you are blockaded. Obviously you would mine if you wanted troops removed and it was an option, but sometimes you need to remove them but cannot mine. I also don't think there is a number limit when removing them (ie, you could use recruit to remove more than 2 troops).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sims
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
But in Recruit, you actually add 2 troops, not remove, so I don't know why you're even comparing the two actions.

The rules on page 5 under the Recruit Troops section state "the active player may remove any number of troops from his occupied planets and place them into his supply".

My query is whether this differs from the Mine action (which in addition awards VP)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SSims wrote:
msaari wrote:

The rules on page 5 under the Recruit Troops section state "the active player may remove any number of troops from his occupied planets and place them into his supply".

My query is whether this differs from the Mine action (which in addition awards VP)?
Yes it different.

Mine is an action where you either take 2 troops for 1 VP for 3 troops for 2 VP, all from the same planet. It is used primarily as a method of generating points. You cannot do this if you are blockaded.

Recruit is used to remove troops from the board. You can remove any number from any number of planets, even blockaded ones. It is rarely used, and is only needed to address corner cases.

Because you can only do one action per turn, you may not do both of these things together in the same turn.

Edit: Also if it is not clear. You MAY NOT scuttle units for free. The only way to get units back is to remove via recruit (effectively a scuttle action), remove via mine, remove by launching, or trade them for buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, good point. Yes, you might want to use Recruit to remove troops, but I think it rarely makes sense, as in most cases either Mine or Launch is the better option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sims
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses, that clarifies things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.