Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am assuming that he is simply a minion with a bit more health. That makes him susceptible to Ashrian's hero ability which stuns the monster.

I played my first game tonight (solo, to get the feel of it and get the rules down) Ashrian just ran up to Mauler who never got to attack as he was stunned every turn.

I have found that there is controversy as to how the stun card is to be played. I played it as the monster lost his whole turn. I guess it wouldn't be such an issue if he only lost half of his turn which, I believe, is how stun was used in 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Tan when it was me vs. the wife (using 2 Heroes).

Then we played Master, when the kids joined in (so me vs. 3 Heroes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jphien wrote:
I am assuming that he is simply a minion with a bit more health. That makes him susceptible to Ashrian's hero ability which stuns the monster.

I played my first game tonight (solo, to get the feel of it and get the rules down) Ashrian just ran up to Mauler who never got to attack as he was stunned every turn.

I have found that there is controversy as to how the stun card is to be played. I played it as the monster lost his whole turn. I guess it wouldn't be such an issue if he only lost half of his turn which, I believe, is how stun was used in 1st edition.

you are only stunned whilst you have the card in front of you, the cost of removing the stun card is 1 action leaving you with 1 action to use for the attack. That is my understanding of the card at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Stun only takes one action to remove, and you can't have more than one stun on any target. So he would have very likley unstunned with one action, then attacked with the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-drink. twice.-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
-drink. twice.-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
-drink. twice.-

I see -drink- on the boards from time to time but I am not sure what it means....could you all enlighten me on 'drink' meaning/protocol?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PKDuke wrote:
manydills wrote:
-drink. twice.-

I see -drink- on the boards from time to time but I am not sure what it means....could you all enlighten me on 'drink' meaning/protocol?

The Descent 2nd Edition Board's Official Drinking Game, of course! I can't find the thread, mostly because I haven't looked since it happened, but it's one of the board jokes.

Also, if it really existed, likely half of the board would be dead due to alcohol poisoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wordlyweko wrote:

you are only stunned whilst you have the card in front of you, the cost of removing the stun card is 1 action leaving you with 1 action to use for the attack. That is my understanding of the card at least.

I found the thread, after playing the game, on this controversy while looking in the rules section. I agree with your interpretation of the card although it is so poorly written, if that is indeed how they intended it to be used, as to be misleading.

It should simply say " if this card is in front of you at the start of your turn your first action must be to discard this card".

Just a quick reading makes it look like the only thing you can do during your turn is discard this card. You have to really study it to come to your conclusion and I agree with your conclusion but I'm not sure that is how they intended it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
jphien wrote:
wordlyweko wrote:

I found the thread, after playing the game, on this controversy while looking in the rules section. I agree with your interpretation of the card although it is so poorly written, if that is indeed how they intended it to be used, as to be misleading.

It should simply say " if this card is in front of you at the start of your turn your first action must be to discard this card".

There are situations where you can be Stunned mid-turn (such as with a Pit Trap used while the Hero still has actions left); thus, this wording wouldn't work because then it would imply Stunned doesn't take effect until the Hero's NEXT turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Vincealot
Canada
flag msg tools
jphien wrote:

Just a quick reading

That's the pickle though, isn't it? When reading rules to learn a game, shouldn't one perform more than "just a quick reading"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirVincealot wrote:
jphien wrote:

Just a quick reading

That's the pickle though, isn't it? When reading rules to learn a game, shouldn't one perform more than "just a quick reading"...

The worse the rules are written the more this is true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terah wrote:
SirVincealot wrote:
jphien wrote:

Just a quick reading

The worse the rules are written the more this is true.

Does bitching about the rules ever get tiring? I'm over here in an alcohol-induced coma from playing the drinking game here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.