Subject: Friendly Fire Facepalm! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A C
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad and I cracked open Winter Wars today and played through the first scenario twice, switching sides for the second game. We've been playing tons of Memoir lately, having just acquired the breakthrough kit. It's our favorite game right now - we can spend all day, when our wives allow, playing Memoir.

Scenario one of WW has 3 axis units on the allies baseline: 2 mortar infantry units and an artie. Halfway through the game, I (as the axis player) made a mad dash with an armor unit from my baseline straight into those three units and started pounding away. I eliminated 3 of the 4 mortar team figs. To my credit, when we set up the game those units were facing the same way as the allied units.

So my dad starts his turn by laying down a flank card triumphantly, thinking to pound me with his (my) mortars and artie. Before he had rolled any dice, as I studied the situation, it dawned on me what had happened. "Dad... those guys are grey..."

So I watched as the truth worked itself out on his furrowed brow, and we facepalmed and laughed for about 5 minutes, joking about what would have happened if I had wiped out that mortar team with my tank dash... how many medals can I get by wiping out my own troops Mr. Borg?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had to paint my allies a lighter olive drab for this very reason. I thought it was just my red-green colour blindness but in poor light my friends can't tell the difference between the axis and allies either. Judging by pictures on this site other releases of Memoir don't suffer so badly from this problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littleidiot wrote:
I've had to paint my allies a lighter olive drab for this very reason. I thought it was just my red-green colour blindness but in poor light my friends can't tell the difference between the axis and allies either. Judging by pictures on this site other releases of Memoir don't suffer so badly from this problem.

Huh, that's a thought. I'm in the middle of painting my Battlelore sets now, but maybe a quick spray with army painter primer would suffice to distinguish the colors better. I probably do have the first printing, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.