Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cultist Summoned Shoggoth Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Question when the cultist performs the dark ceremony to summon a shoggoth as it's special attack does the shoggoth get to attack the turn that it is summoned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
No, monsters do not normally get to attack if they are summoned in the middle of the Monsters Attack phase. (Note that a different cultist has a special attack that summons another cultist and needs to explicitly state that the new cultist can still attack immediately.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
No, monsters do not normally get to attack if they are summoned in the middle of the Monsters Attack phase.

Would you please cite where that is stipulated in the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Disgustipater wrote:
Would you please cite where that is stipulated in the rules?

Hmmm, I thought I remembered this being in there, but I can't seem to find it. The fact that the other cultist explicitly allows the new monster to attack immediately certainly implies that the default is that monsters can't attack immediately, though - but FFG isn't exactly famous for its logical and consistent writing, so what appears to be rules text there may instead be redundant reminder text.

I do think that the Shoggoth not being able to attack immediately makes for the best gameplay, though - getting a free Shoggoth is already a huge boon for the keeper even with summoning sickness, and it's nice to give the investigators one turn in which to realize how screwed they are before they are devoured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
msg tools
We play it exactly the way salty described it. Since a cultist's summoning action allows an immediate attack, we agreed that a summoned Shog probably doesn't get to attack yet. It's okay, as the Keeper I'm ahead in wins vs. losses. The Shog will crush eventually.

By the way, we've discovered playing MoM only at night with a good soundtrack (Midnight Syndicate, Nox Arcana, etc.) is the best experience, regardless who wins. In the spirit of the mythos, Lovecraft's characters never win.

ss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.