Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It amazes me that there have been no games generated from the Harry Potter franchise that have exceeded a rating of 6.27 (the collectible card game). It seems that, with a 'history' as rich as this, that someone could have come up with a winner game. Most of the games are re-treads of ubiquitous games (Monopoly, Clue, UNO, ad nauseum).

With all the intrigue in the series it seems ripe for someone to come up with a great game in the vein of Arkham Horror or Middle-Earth Quest.

Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what I'd expect. Popular movies, TV shows, etc. usually generate crap. People will buy them just because of the license...why bother making a good game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJL
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of it might be that Rowling is extremely -- EXTREMELY -- protective of her IP. Complete speculation on my part, but maybe she's charging something astronomical that most publishers won't pay (other than the Hasbros of the world).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your making a game based on Harry potter and Paying the licensing fees, you are definitely looking to make alot of money. Those games are also aimed at an audiance that is unlikely to be rated highly here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An Arkham Horror type Harry Potter Game would be awesome, but the guaranteed profits from that type of game is nothing compared to a retread of Monopoly, Clue, etc.
Also, Hasbro or Mattel probably have exclusive rights to HP themed board games for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ryan Johnson has touted that there is an excellent opportunity is a Harry Potter Techno Witches banding, and I think he's squarely on target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just assume that all the good game designers are too angry about how stupid Quidditch scoring is. It just makes no sense.... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just marketing math.

Lets say you have a good board game. It will sell ten thousand copies into the geek niche. If you add a Harry Potter license you've just eclipsed the entire cost of anything else in the game. You have to make the money back on that. So you have to find an audience outside of your original geek audience. This new audience will be buying the game because of the Harry Potter license, and not really because of the game.

Now you do some more math. How many potential customers read the back of the box and think the game will be way to hard to play because they've never seen anything like this? Is this number larger than the original geek niche? If yes, then throw the geek niche under the bus and make the game the lowest common denominator.

It's actually possible to make the math work out, and it actually has happened multiple times for Harry Potter. There is the Harry Potter TCG which pulls money in because of cardboard crack business model. There is also the Lego game Hogwarts which sells more because it's Lego (which is expected to be a little bit more thinky than other children's stuff).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable pretty much nailed it.

Although, there is Potion-Making: Practice, which is quite a nice game... It obviously avoids making an official connection but you don't need much imagination to make it yourself:

"In the card game Potion-Making: Practice, players take on the roles of apprentice mages studying in a Magic School."

"With this expansion, the players can now attempt to create the Philosopher's Stone."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.