Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Williams
United Kingdom
Rossendale
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my first post on this awesome site.

I play GoT in a casual group of 4 and we have the core set and our respective expansions. Since getting the expansions our Targaryen player has won every game, due almost entirely to the dragons.

Apart from using valar morghulis and wiping everyone's board, is there an effective way of defeating Dany and her dragons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A LEX ANDER
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I also suggest start with its text box blanking options like>
frozen moat, meera reed (winter would be best)

or maybe with a good direwolf trait deck where you can kneel some of them to lower and kill

I also think that you are able, during military challenges to cancel the effect with some borderland keep(s) in play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dragons are brutal but fragile with that card pool. Kill Daenerys she is the engine that makes that deck work. IF they must kneel to attack the Targaryen player suddenly has to divide his attention and each dragon's ability can only be triggered once a phase so either he or she sends multiple dragons against one foe for a bigger effect or spreads it around which vastly dilutes their abilities.

Also a lot of people play Blood of the Dragon incorrecly. While it gives theattached character the dragon trait when they participate, they must kneel to participate in a challenge, which means it is too late for them to gain any benefit from Daenery's ability. Of course if they have Astapor and/or Meereen out it may be a long day (or short game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
valenswift wrote:
Apart from using valar morghulis and wiping everyone's board, is there an effective way of defeating Dany and her dragons?

Hi there,

In my experience (and I'm a big melee Dragon Deck enthusiast) the easiest ways to beat them are:

1. Freaking out and destroying the Targ hand/board before they get going. Be it with a Lannister intrigue rush to empty their hand before they get established or Stark to kill anything that hits the board the instant it gets there. Dragons cost big money and take a little bit of time to start rolling (even with clever Ambush related tricks to power them out early), so beating them to the punch can really hurt. Just beware of the rest of the table turning on you for a strong start.

2. Spot Control effects. The Dragon deck relys on a small number of key characters, so packing cards to lock them down (permanently or temporarily) effectively kills the deck. Milk of the Poppy on Dany shuts the whole thing down for as long as you can stick it to the table. Likewise, Distraction rules out a Dragon for a whole turn (which you follow up with savage military challenges to get rid of it permanently). Anything you can lay your hands on that blanks/kneels a character of your choice is golden (and is Nightmares ever really a bad card to have in your deck?). In a similar vein, deadly characters can seriously hurt.

3. The board wipe. Valar, Westeros Bleeds, Valar Dohaeris (seriously, proxy it and try it, it's hilarious vs no-kneel Dragons). Targ Dragons sucks at intrigue, so stick to the basics and raid their hand then sweep the board. Maegi's Promise just doesn't do enough to get them back from a big wipeout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Williams
United Kingdom
Rossendale
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great advice guys. I'll put it into action and let you know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.