Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Bourghardt
Sweden
Bunkeflostrand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
Can the mimics wild flare be used by a non-mainplayer in an encounter to copy another flare that can only be played by anyone but non-mainplayers?

For example can you as an defensive ally play wild-mimic to copy a wild-flare that the offense played which stated offense only?

This came up in my very first game and we ruled that you couldn't but thinking about it afterwards it kinda defeats the purpose of the mimic. This is also my first post on BGG been lurking for a couple of years =)

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
No, flares are only written to make sense for the players that can legally play them; allowing anyone to play any flare at any time via Wild Mimic creates rules leaks. It's best for copying Main Player Only, Main Player or Ally Only, and As Any Player flares, but it can't ever copy an Offense Only or Defense Only flare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberta is right that it would be a trainwreck if flares could be played in contexts beyond what they were designed for. In addition, Wild Mimic says, "The effects take place as though you had played the card yourself."

As a defensive ally, the effects that would take place if you had played an offense-only card yourself would be, "put that back in your hand, Dan; you can't play it now."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bourghardt
Sweden
Bunkeflostrand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that's what i thought glad that i got that right. But does that make wild-mimic a way to steal flares then? Meaning you get to pick up the card the other player played? I wouldn't allow it in my game just asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
Not usually, no.

Cosmodex wrote:

A flare returning to its owner's hand after use is a standard rule for the card type, and not specifically one of the "effects" of each flare; thus, Wild Mimic does not steal the flare it is duplicating. On the other hand, if a particular flare says to give it to someone else after use, this is an effect of that flare. In most cases this distinction will be moot (for example, Wild Disease is given to Disease or discarded, and then your duplication redundantly causes it to be given or discarded to the same person or discard pile). However, since Wild Reincarnator and Wild Changeling are given to whichever player the flare affected, then your duplicate use of the card can indeed change who ends up holding it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.