Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Settlers:
IMO, appearing there mid-action counts as "moved", though there is no precedent or definition for this. Arborec GFs do not follow the same restrictions as Space Docks, so that other DS token doesn't count. The closest thing is that a newly produced GF cannot produce more GFs during the same Production step.

Action Cards, Gen Synthesis, Transit Diodes, Production/Imperial secondaries:
The next time you activate the system, the GFs were there at the start of their action, so they have not moved. Their GFs aren't restricted to not building the entire round, just the same action that they moved/produced. EDIT: Re-word: The Action Cards moved them the previous turn, so they are not moved currently.

Dacxive Animators is used 90% during an attack, so the ones that are attacking definitely moved. The ones that were resurrected didn't technically move, just changed owners, so if Settlers can build, Dacxive zombies can build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Settlers: No.

Second point: No, but it's very clear RAW.
"You may not build with Ground Forces that have moved during this same activation."
Each of the previous occur either "as an action" or during someone else's turn, therefore, were not moved during this same activation.

Since GFs newly produced by other GFs cannot in turn build more GFs (and if that's not the case, then my god! you can reproduce infinitely exponentially during a single action!), it implies that GFs placed mid-action (ie. Dacxive Animators and Settlers) cannot produce.

Completely different situation with Settlers:
Player A = Jol-Nar.
Player B = Arborec.

Jol-Nar move a CV, 4 GF, and 2 FF to a double planet system, landing 2 GF per planet.

First planet:
Settlers. Result is such that another player receives it.
Let's say this is Arborec.

Second planet:
Fighter Ambush (STR 2):
The feeble Jol-Nar fleet was destroyed by the Fighters, leaving the system as such:
Space: No units.
First planet: 2 Arborec GF.
Second planet: Neutral Fighter Ambush.

Arborec, on their action, may activate this double-planet system and build 2 units from the 2 GF on the first planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Åbrandt
Sweden
flag msg tools
TomBoombs wrote:
Since GFs newly produced by other GFs cannot in turn build more GFs (and if that's not the case, then my god! you can reproduce infinitely exponentially during a single action!), it implies that GFs placed mid-action (ie. Dacxive Animators and Settlers) cannot produce.

I wouldn't agree about the implication.
The reason newly produced GFs cannot build more GFs in the same production step is that all units (and mines) are produced simultaneously, as stated on page 10 in the FAQ.
Quote:
You determine what you wish to produce, pay the
resources, and build them all at once. You therefore cannot
build a Cruiser and then deploy a space mine with that Cruiser
during the same Production step.

Therefore you can allow GFs placed mid-action to produce without making exponentially growing infinate production possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
So if a Derelict Ship (or whatever the free Cruiser Final Frontier token is) can produce a Space Mine immediately, then GFs placed mid-action would be able to produce, since both occur prior to the Production step.

Now, let's look at Dacxive Animators again (assume no Gen Synthesis):
Let's say I attack with 4 GFs against 2 GFs.
Round 1: I hit once. Player 2 hits twice.
3 GFs are dead. 2 mine, 1 enemy.
Round 2: 2 vs 1.
We each hit.
5 GFs are dead. 3 mine, 2 enemy. I won the battle. I rez roll.

Normally, you would roll 5 dice and not worry about whose is whose. The only prior situation where you usually care is when a Shock Troop dies.

Now, I'm placing GFs mid-action. 3 out of 5 are mine, which did move earlier, but have the ones I just placed moved?

2 out of 5 are theirs, which did not move, as they stayed on the planet, but have they "moved" when transferring ownership?

Physically, in both instances, I removed 3 of my plastic pieces, 2 of their plastic pieces, and put 0-5 plastic pieces in their place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Åbrandt
Sweden
flag msg tools
I sent some rule questions to FFG and just recieved the following awnser from Corey Konieczka.

Quote:
If the Arborec receive any new ground forces in the middle of an activation, these units may NOT be used to build during this activation.

I hope this answers your question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seren of Moon
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
What would happen if a player used Biosplasmosis at the beginning of the Strategy Phase to take an uncontrolled planet in an adjacent system.

Could that GF then later build at that planet during the Action Phase of the same game round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, you know my answer on that one. My opinion is "no", if you can't build at a newly-taken planet with a Space Dock, I don't think you should be allowed to with the Arborec, either (even if you guys all overruled me in the last game )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seren of Moon
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
Right. A newly-taken planet can't get a new space dock until the next game round.

And, if I remember correctly, we also pointed to this from the 2.5 FAQ, to further support your argument:

Q: Can I build units with a Space Dock just built this round, if
the Activation Counter in its system is removed for some reason?

A: No, you can never build new units from a Space Dock
created during the same round.

So, ultimately it comes down to whether the "Production Capacity" ability of the Arborec GFs is governed under ALL the same rules as space docks. I can see your point, but...

The Arborec racial ability reads "Your Ground Forces have a production capacity of 1. You may not build units with Ground Forces that have moved during the same activation."

As the GF is not a space dock and was never activated, I believe it could still use its production capacity after taking a planet via Bioplasmosis during the Strategy Phase.

Perhaps the Arborec text needs to say "...the same activation or game round" or perhaps the Bioplasmosis tech needs to have a phrase added that specifies whether or not this GF may build later during the same game round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
SWC_Seren wrote:

Perhaps the Arborec text needs to say "...the same activation or game round" or perhaps the Bioplasmosis tech needs to have a phrase added that specifies whether or not this GF may build later during the same game round.

Such general statements could be too sweeping, though. For instance, if you move Arborec GFs from one controlled planet to another, and then remove the CC, you should be able to build there (just like you could build at a "Massive Transport"ed Space Dock moved to another planet).

And if you use Bioplasmosis to add a GF to a planet you already control, there's no question, either

It's only in the specific case of "you just took control of the planet this round" that the question comes up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seren of Moon
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
Agreed, those changes would be too sweeping.

sigmazero13 wrote:

It's only in the specific case of "you just took control of the planet this round" that the question comes up

This is where I respectfully disagree. The "you just took control of a planet this round" limitation applies to building a new space dock.

I am not able to make the leap as to how this applies to Arborec GFs and whether or not they can produce units. Producing units as described under page 26 of the base rules doesn't seem to say anything about control and building units, although we do have the FAQs on space docks as guidance.

The limiting factor in the racial ability text is whether they moved during the same activation. No activation occurred. Ever.

I think this is why it makes sense for the Arborec to invest in their racial techs to help enhance their slow, steady, scary spread throughout the galaxy. I agree they must be stopped before they get to the children, but would argue this still isn't as powerful as some others (e.g. see Mentak).

Okay, so our points are clear. Now I want to see Corey and some others weigh in on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack S.
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
Arborec ground forces can build while in the holds of ships (as long as they didn't move that activation), I can't possibly see a reason that landing on a specific type of planet would have any effect on their building ability.

The restrictions for when space docks can build are for space docks only and Arborec ground forces have their own separate restrictions. Furthermore, there isn't even a restriction that a space dock (say one that was Massive Transported) cannot build at a planet you did not control at the beginning of the game round, it's just a common consequence of the other restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.