The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sneak attack Gandalf for questing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Last Bert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I have previously used sneak attack to get Gandalf into play and then committed him to the quest. However, when I was looking at the rulebook, the turn sequence diagram on page 30, there isn't a player actions step in the quest phase before players commit characters to the quest. As sneak attack only gets Gandalf into play for one phase, it doesn't look like its possible to get him into play in the quest phase and commit him to the quest. Is this correct?

The Combat phase in comparison has a player actions step before you declare defenders/attackers.

Thematically, perhaps I should have considered that Gandalf showing up and helping the heroes read maps isn't a sneak attack...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it works just the way you did it. The "Player actions" steps are just additional opportunities to play actions, you can also do so during each of the other green steps, like the "Players commit characters to quest" step.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Tose
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This has been clarified in the new FAQ (version 1.3).

Phase 3: Quest Page 14
The final sentence of the first paragraph in this section
should read: “Players have the opportunity to take
actions and play event cards at the beginning and
ending of each step.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLastBert wrote:
Thematically, perhaps I should have considered that Gandalf showing up and helping the heroes read maps isn't a sneak attack...

Don't use theme to answer rules questions - that is always trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeas, but sometimes it makes more sense :-)
Gimli can wear two plate armours (via rules), but my theme says that one is enough because he wants his axe too ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Last Bert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for your answers everyone. I was feeling a little disheartened that some of my narrow victories might have been illegal, its good to know they weren't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Actually, it works just the way you did it. The "Player actions" steps are just additional opportunities to play actions, you can also do so during each of the other green steps, like the "Players commit characters to quest" step.

Bye
Thanee

Oh wow... How did I miss this? I thought you could only play actions in the 'player actions' steps (and it looks like TheLastBert read it the same way).

So you can use Unexpected Courage to allow one character to defend and attak in the same turn... until now I was just using it to allow somebody to quest and then defend, or similar, since I didn't think there was an action window between defending and attacking.

Can anybody play events at any time in any of the green blocks or does it go in turn order (except for responses)?

C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the recent posts here I notice that even Thanee thought the same thing

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/835937/card-sequence-questio...

I don't feel so bad now, since Thanee seems to be something of an authority in these parts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamemonster wrote:
Reading through the recent posts here I notice that even Thanee thought the same thing

Yep, I was wondering about that same thing recently, which is why I now know how it works.

Quote:
I don't feel so bad now, since Thanee seems to be something of an authority in these parts!

LOL, I don't know about that... I am just quite active with that game currently.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.