Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Vasco da Gama» Forums » Rules

Subject: End game scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
We just played our first (2-player) game of VdG. It felt like a really balanced game, but one thing felt odd when it came to the last scoring round (after phase 5):

Is it really that ships that are not in a completed harbour in the end of the game are worth 0 points? There was one player who managed to complete a harbour and therefore get a lot of points in phase 3 while the other one (me ) had most his ships in a harbour where there was one spot left empty in the end. In detail:

The upmost harbour scored 20 points to player 1 (4 ships x 5 pts) and 5 points to player 2 (1 ship; the last space was a neutral ship). In the next harbour, player 1 had 0 ships and player 2 had 4 and there was no neutral ship so it didn't score at all (just 4 of the 5 spaces occupied). If it would have been scored, that would have been 16 points for player 2.

Did we really play that right? I looked through the rules and didn't find a rule that would say that there is a special scoring round in the end so I guess that's how to do it. But it felt not right as these ships in the end were the only ones that didn't score the bonus points until the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Sounds like you played it right. Just good planing by your opponent .

Scoring is just like all the other rounds, but since you now don't need to keep the ships there for a new round (to give what points/reals is on them in another round), you might as well try and complete landings that already have lots of your own ships - even if they cannot navigate up to the next landing. So you really need to plan for this with your own ships near the end of the game and also try to figure out where the other players might send their ships.

As a sidenote you might also get captains back this way, that you can then use for any ships left in your supply to score the 3 points for a launched and captained ship after the game.

mrmonkeyball wrote:
But it felt not right as these ships in the end were the only ones that didn't score the bonus points until the end of the game.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this (but probably just my not quite perfect English)? Should "until" be "at"? Or was it that you didn't score any bonus points during the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrmonkeyball wrote:
We just played our first (2-player) game of VdG. It felt like a really balanced game, but one thing felt odd when it came to the last scoring round (after phase 5):

Is it really that ships that are not in a completed harbour in the end of the game are worth 0 points? There was one player who managed to complete a harbour and therefore get a lot of points in phase 3 while the other one (me ) had most his ships in a harbour where there was one spot left empty in the end.

Did we really play that right? I looked through the rules and didn't find a rule that would say that there is a special scoring round in the end so I guess that's how to do it. But it felt not right as these ships in the end were the only ones that didn't score the bonus points until the end of the game.

I think you probably have it right, but it's not really fair to say "worth 0 points" or "didn't score bonus points".

First of all, all ships get the square value they're placed on when you first put them in that harbour. So those 4 ships earned those points, probably 32 or so (assuming 9,9,7,7). They also gave you the immediate bonus of 1 money, 2 money, a captain each when placing them, so that's 4 Reals and a captain, etc.

Then, each round those 4 ships gave you whatever their bonus on the ship tile itself said, 2 points, 2 money, etc. This happens even when the harbour is not full, so make sure you didn't miss that.

Finally, yes, full harbours earn even more points after that. That's a big part of the strategy of the game, make sure your ships get the bonuses, by launching the right ships at the right times, taking Sernigi the Merchant to get an extra ship to fill in the row for you (note that's what your opponent did, he had the neutral ship is his row, you didn't).

Strategy wise, I think it's extremely dangerous to let one player get most of a harbour to themselves, for just this reason. In all our games, ship counts are very close such as 2-2, 3-2. You get your ships in there with his, so that you leech points off his actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alright, thanks for the clarification. Seems that I understood the rules right but that I have to play more often in order to see such events coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.