Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, I played a game and people were expecting a reward after killing monsters. I had a variant idea to give skill and items cards to player at the beginning of the game, so my first idea was to give a card to a player who defeated a monster.

But by browsing the suggested variant, there is a much better idea that does not require additional components.

- At the beginning of the game, each player receives X determination tokens. (X is to be determined, maybe 1/8 of the pool of tokens)

- When failing a roll, players can spend determination tokens to temporarily increase their character's stats to succeed it.

- When killing a monster, you gain a number of determination token equal to the monster's life.

That will have the effect of increasing strategy by giving players a choice to use or save their determination token. It still fit with the theme since determination would now be some sort of willpower and there will be a reward for defeating monsters.

Simple, elegant and no additional material required. I think I like this.

Source Threads

Luck running out variant.

Determination as XP and other possibilities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By taking a look at the components of the game, here are some rule changes.

Player starts with 3 determination tokens.

When a player fail a roll, he can either pay the difference in determination or gain 1 determination token.

Monsters gives determination tokens equal to half the monster's HP round up. So monster will gives between 1-3 token except for 1 creature that gives 4. The ratio is approximately: 1-2-2-2-3-3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reward for killing a monster? Be thankful you're alive.

I don't like variants that make the game easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's does not really makes the game that much easier. It slightly increase the amount of decision you have to make since you can chose when to use your determination token.

I should try the variant today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a play test 2 days ago and it worked pretty well. The results was very interesting since it gave to the players more choices.

I am going to start writing the variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.