Popular Tags: [View All]
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Last night we played our first game of I'm the Boss. It was so hard for the players to get the flow of gameplay and in the end we were quite confused.

I introduced the game as a negotiation game, but the when we were making the deals, we had no idea what we were suposed to negotiate.
We play Chinatown from time to time, and in that game you have business tiles, terrain parcels and money to make deals. In I'm the Boss the dividends repartition is quite straightforward and what you can negotiate is, at best, wich investor or clan member choose to make the deal.
We were playing cards semi randomly (as I said it was our first game) but that doesn't seemed to change the game dramatically. It just was like adding some chaos to the mix.

So, the reaction to the game was kind of "meh..." But I'm sure we're missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Soued
United States
Fountain Hills
Arizona
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hemp wrote:
Hi. Last night we played our first game of I'm the Boss. It was so hard for the players to get the flow of gameplay and in the end we were quite confused.

I introduced the game as a negotiation game, but the when we were making the deals, we had no idea what we were suposed to negotiate.
We play Chinatown from time to time, and in that game you have business tiles, terrain parcels and money to make deals. In I'm the Boss the dividends repartition is quite straightforward and what you can negotiate is, at best, wich investor or clan member choose to make the deal.
We were playing cards semi randomly (as I said it was our first game) but that doesn't seemed to change the game dramatically. It just was like adding some chaos to the mix.

So, the reaction to the game was kind of "meh..." But I'm sure we're missing something.

Reduced to the simplest of terms: You are negotiating what total money each player will get for participating in the deal. Let's say you are on Deal #9 and each Share is worth $4 Million. And you are on a board space which requires any 4 investors and pays 5 Shares. The total Deal is thus worth $20 Million. As the Boss, you are trying to get the 4 investors you need and you are trying to negotiate with each to determine what amount of the $20 Million they will each get for participating in the deal--it does NOT need to be an even distribution (perhaps this is one point of confusion for you because you say that this is "straightforward" and it definitely is NOT a straightforward calculation!) And of course part of the negotiation might involve threats to play a card, or not play a card, for the deal to go through or not.

There is a LOT of negotiation in this game and it goes on constantly throughout the game!

There is a detailed Turn, described at length, at the end of the rules. I really suggest that you read this section closely -- as it does help a great deal to understand the types of negotiation which can happen in this game. Let me know if you have other questions. Rick, for Gryphon and Eagle Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fisher
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is very group dependent. You need to have a few people who are loud and out spoken to really enjoy it. You need to keep the pace fast to avoid people bringing the game to a mathmatical exercise. I have accessorized my game to avoid confusion when players accidently turn in their investor card. The thread is [geekurl=http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/680845/accessorizing-cards-for-better-play][/geekurl]

When teaching, I try to be the starting player and on my first turn try to make a deal just so the other players realize how the mechanism works (the deal is not worth a lot...so I usually take a money hit).

The card play is actually one of the best aspects of the game. Your understanding and strategy will get better the more you play. Also, the game has to be played light-hearted so feelings need to be set aside.

It is one of my favorite games. Give it another chance. Most of all have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.