Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad and I were able to demo Lords of Baseball again at WBC this year for the entire week. I played with about 50 people and showed the game off to a few dozen more. We've had some great feedback on it both in game play and ideas to streamline events. The most constructive criticism the game has received for the last few weeks has been about the number of charts on different sheets of paper - and that is something that is really due to us demoing our prototype copy.

We got some great news at WBC this year. Last year we were able to showcase it to several publishers and this year GMT Games told us that we should be able to be placed on the P500 list sometime around Spring Training 2013. This gives us enough time to finalize the cards (and add a few events we thought of this week) and tighten up any loose ends.

Keep an eye out for Lords of Baseball on P500 early next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:

GMT Games told us that we should be able to be placed on the P500 list sometime around Spring Training 2013.

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exciting news. I have been keeping my eye on LoB for a while now. I really think it is something I will be able to get to the table with the father-in-law or my brother who are really into baseball, but less into board games. Wish I could have been there to demo it. I grew up 30 minutes from the WBC and didn't know about it. Now I live 12 hours away. BUT now I live 45 minutes from GenCon and still don't attend. I really can't wait for the P500! Congrats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strickhouser wrote:
This is exciting news. I have been keeping my eye on LoB for a while now. I really think it is something I will be able to get to the table with the father-in-law or my brother who are really into baseball, but less into board games.

It is a pretty complex system. LoB is more of an economic resource management game than it is a "baseball" game. It's got a pretty thick baseball theme to it, with trades and wins/losses/pennants/amateur draft/etc... but it's not a 9 inning simulation at all. I don't want to turn you off to the game obviously, but I also don't want to sell you on a strawberry if you're shopping for a tomato.

We're also going to try to make Euroquest this year and PrezCon next year to show it off some more if you're able to make those events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:
Strickhouser wrote:
This is exciting news. I have been keeping my eye on LoB for a while now. I really think it is something I will be able to get to the table with the father-in-law or my brother who are really into baseball, but less into board games.

It is a pretty complex system. LoB is more of an economic resource management game than it is a "baseball" game. It's got a pretty thick baseball theme to it, with trades and wins/losses/pennants/amateur draft/etc... but it's not a 9 inning simulation at all. I don't want to turn you off to the game obviously, but I also don't want to sell you on a strawberry if you're shopping for a tomato.

We're also going to try to make Euroquest this year and PrezCon next year to show it off some more if you're able to make those events.

I really appreciate the honesty and I figured that it wasn't a simple 9 inning sim, but I want to use the theme to pull them into board gaming. They would both make such good competitors, but they see board gaming as "geeky" and don't really give it a fair shot. The theme is all I need to pull them in. At least I hope so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strickhouser wrote:

I really appreciate the honesty and I figured that it wasn't a simple 9 inning sim, but I want to use the theme to pull them into board gaming. They would both make such good competitors, but they see board gaming as "geeky" and don't really give it a fair shot. The theme is all I need to pull them in. At least I hope so...

I hope so too. We need more boardgamers.

It's a card driven game, so the first time they play it they may need some coaching, but the cool thing about being a baseball fan and playing with these cards -- each event was inspired by some real life happening. There are steroids, potential career ending injuries in the All Star Game, managers being fired mid season, media influencing fans, etc. I think the theme is definitely there for them and if you can sell them on a game about "moneyball" than you're in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger beatson
New Zealand
flag msg tools
wifwendell wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:

GMT Games told us that we should be able to be placed on the P500 list sometime around Spring Training 2013.

Congratulations!

I've had my eye on this one for a while and and now that GMT are looking at adding it to their P500 I'm sold. Congrats guys - can't wait to get hold of a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
GMT??? Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really interested in this game. I was hoping to get a chance to demo it at the wbc in 2012 but did not get around to doing so.If this gets added to the GMT P500 what would be the timetable to get it published? I guess it would need 500 preorders but beyond that how long would it take to produce after that? Just wondering if it would be available before the end of 2013 or if 2014 might be more realistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm meeting with Andy at PrezCon in February to talk about what the next step is. We're pretty confident through playtesting that we're where we want to be gameplay wise -- the last things we need to tighten up are the final rule set (which is really long...I'd love to make the rules easier to follow somehow) and finalize our cards. It seems I come up with new ideas for cards every week. Maybe an expansion deck in the future?

Honestly I have no idea how long it takes to produce once the magic number is hit. I'm crossing my fingers that it hits it's number soon enough for a Christmas release ... but I think that's probably overly optimistic. We'll see though. Subscribe to the LoB page here to keep up with the news or You can also follow us on Facebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Any more news on when this will hit P500??? I'd LOVE to see this game made. I'm a card & dice baseball gamer, play in a 17 team keeper fantasy baseball league, and am an avid baseball fan. So seeing this thing come to production would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really looking forward to this one. I have been since I first heard about it. Maybe this could be the heavier game I can get my brother and dad to play with me.

Good luck with finishing it up! I can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
Any more news on when this will hit P500??? I'd LOVE to see this game made. I'm a card & dice baseball gamer, play in a 17 team keeper fantasy baseball league, and am an avid baseball fan. So seeing this thing come to production would be awesome.

No news just yet. We're still working with one of the developers to see if there is anything they think needs to be refined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.