Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you trade say one wood for 2 gold (1:2 due to an 8 or 9 on the trade track) to gain a tile or card and only need one gold to pay for it, which of the 2 is correct.

1) you gain 2 gold pay one and keep the other?
2) you gain only the 1 gold needed to pay for the tile or card?

We think you would not keep the change because that seems to be a more fair way for the game to work, but I don't want to use my opinion to make rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can only use the trading post when it is 'needed' to acquire a building or card. As you can buy the card for one wood you do not needed to visit the trading post in order to do so. you have to be short of the resource being spent and there is no change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
What if you trade say one wood for 2 gold (1:2 due to an 8 or 9 on the trade track) to gain a tile or card and only need one gold to pay for it, which of the 2 is correct.

1) you gain 2 gold pay one and keep the other?
2) you gain only the 1 gold needed to pay for the tile or card?

We think you would not keep the change because that seems to be a more fair way for the game to work, but I don't want to use my opinion to make rules.

Correst, it's 2. It's right in the trading rules for spots 9/10 : "Special case: if the player takes more items than he needs to pay for the building or card, he does not keep the excess."

delewobmesid wrote:
you can only use the trading post when it is 'needed' to acquire a building or card. As you can buy the card for one wood you do not needed to visit the trading post in order to do so. you have to be short of the resource being spent and there is no change.

No, this is wrong. The player is short of the resource, he has no gold. He is allowed to make the trade, because to buy it with gold, the trade must be done to get the gold he needs to make his move.

The game does not force you to earn less points than you can by trading. All it says is that you cannot make useless trades that do nothing (trade wood for gold when you already have all the gold you need).

Similarly, even if you had no gold, you couldn't trade wood for gold, then buy a tile with stone. Because the gold wasn't needed to buy the tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok lets say I buildin the hut that costs 1-7 of any resource, and I have 2 tusks, 0 wood, 0 clay, 0 rock and 0 gold

how many can I trade for?

I assume I could trade follows according to my position on the trade track

2-1 trade means you could trade 1 (say gold)6 points
1-1 trade also means 1 gold 6 points
1-2 trade would allow you to trade 2 gold 12 points

do you folks agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you have no resources, you can't trade at all, so your scenario doesn't work. Assuming you have goods:

If you were to trade two resources for one gold to put into the hut, you are probably wasting your trade for the turn since two wood is worth the same as one gold, and any other combination of building materials would be worth more. If you are trading in tusks that would be otherwise unusable to build the hut, I suppose you come out a bit ahead.

For a 1:1 trade, you could trade a wood for a gold for a net of +3 pts, or a tusk for a gold which is net +6.

For a 1:2 trade, you could turn one good into 2 gold, for a total of 12 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3dicebombers wrote:
Well if you have no resources, you can't trade at all, so your scenario doesn't work. Assuming you have goods:

If you were to trade two resources for one gold to put into the hut, you are probably wasting your trade for the turn since two wood is worth the same as one gold, and any other combination of building materials would be worth more. If you are trading in tusks that would be otherwise unusable to build the hut, I suppose you come out a bit ahead.

For a 1:1 trade, you could trade a wood for a gold for a net of +3 pts, or a tusk for a gold which is net +6.

For a 1:2 trade, you could turn one good into 2 gold, for a total of 12 points.

Ok I have tusks and the ability to trade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Allen
United States
Madison Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you can have tusks and have no resources. Remember that tusks are considered to be decorations, not resources. I think this is where there is some confusion. You need to differentiate the two items from one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Banin
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
but the rules state that you can trade a tusk for a resource

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banin wrote:
but the rules state that you can trade a tusk for a resource

And the is the loophole in question.
Can you trade for resources use the resource, the wording on the hut states that you can trade resources, not decorations, so perhaps this is breaking the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls