Hide
4 Posts

Road Cycling Tour» Forums » General

Subject: designed riders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maciej L
msg tools
I like the idea of auctioned designed riders. But it would be nice if the author could design 20-30 players for this option. I'm little bit afraid to make unbalanced riders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
First of all, thanks for your interest in the game.

Secondly, in response to your request:

Riders are supposed to be "unbalanced" in the sense that most of them are more or less specialized. It's nice to have a "balanced" team with different kinds of riders, but even that is not necessary.

In any case, an auction system can only work if the players can accurately estimate the "value" of the riders auction (taking the characteristics of the race and the rest of their team into account). If the players involved can do that, they can certainly create the riders that they are bidding for, i.e. riders that have realistic (and useful) properties.
The auction option is an optional rule for advanced players, and for that reason it is neither necessary, nor useful to give examples of riders. I would not recommend using that rule if you do not really know yet how the different rider characteristics work out in the game. (However, you should be able to figure that out by trying the game a few times, and then you should have no problem either to create nice riders for the auction system.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej L
msg tools
Thanks for answer. Me and my friends know basics of the sport, so do not have problems with recognizing different roles of the riders. Auction option gives (another) great strategic boost to the game. We just do not want to make players too good. The perfect situation is, after all teams are completed, to see clear advantages and disadvantages of every team. With unbalanced-overskilled players, would be too easy to complete a full team, without disadvantages, making the auction option completely useless. My point with creating this post was, to benefit from your experience. You definately know how to balance skills to not overskill riders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The easiest thing to do is to take the riders from the introductory game (in the rules) as examples, and make some variations of them. Some better, some worse. If you make one that is really good, then make sure that whoever wins that bid has no money left to get any other good riders. You shouldn't worry too much about creating riders that are too good, but only that someone doesn't get those too cheap. (It is, by the way, not a very good strategy to build your team around just one very good rider. Without any back-ups a bit of bad luck may take such a team pretty much out of the game.)

-edit-
By the way, there are a few limits mentioned in the rules with regards to rider characteristics:
Quote:
No rider has more than 7 speed counters.
No rider has more than 2 counters from the following set of types of counters: P+2S; P+3S; P4; M4.
No rider has both sprint counters and M-type (gray) speed counters (with an exception for one (and only one) M2).

As long as you don't violate these simple rules, any counter combination you make is acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.