Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to Carcassonne, and am quickly realizing that finding some of the expansions (specifically looking for River and Cult now) is going to be difficult.

Do these games ever go back into print, or am I just stuck hoping to get lucky on eBay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at least until next year as the US distribution is changing hands. I had to get River through a trade on here. As for Cult, it's hard to find at a reasonable price. Cult, Siege, and Creativity goes for around $25 when I see it and it's probably not worth it for the small handfull of tiles that comes with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hi Nick, and welcome to BoardGameGeek! meeple

The English language licence for Carcassonne has recently changed hands. Rio Grande Games, who have been the English language publishers for ages, have lost the licence to Z-Man Games. (Actually, I think it technically changes hands at the end of the year.)

Because of this, RGG will not be publishing anything more for Carcassonne. Z-Man have not, as far as I know, said anything about their plans so far.

But my guess is that they will republish everything (or nearly everything), though some of the smaller ones may be consolidated into larger sets. However, we're unlikely to see much before the middle of next year.

In the meantime, Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders are generally regarded as the best expansions, and should be easy enough to find. Of the small expansions, I would recommend The Phantom, which, being recent, should be easy enough to find. Most of the other expansions are fairly good, but not great IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
xipuloxx wrote:
Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders are generally regarded as the best expansions, and should be easy enough to find.

I recommend, in order,

1. Inns & Cathedrals
2. River/River II
3. Traders & Builders
4. Abbey & Mayor
5. King & Robber Baron (just play the rules, no need to get the expansion—it's two nonplaceable marker tiles)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

The Siege/Cult expansion is okay. We got ours as a gift along with the "Count of Carcassonne" and neither of these gets played much.

There are 2 different River "expansions." Barnes & Nobles used to sell a version of Carc with the first River expansion included. So you can sometimes find this copy around.

You can also try "River II" as these are usually around as well.

Good luck.

(There is also a Carcassonne fan site that might be able to assist you with ideas like how to just print out your own set of these: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W.
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my Cult, Siege and Creativity Expansion overseas on the web from a store in England. Haven't even tried it yet and is still in the little box. I got my River 1 on eBay but had to buy the older version of Carcassonne that came with it. Got my River 2 on eBay as well. As other have posted, there are many other expansion (all good) that are still available. We got the Big Box 3 Edition back in December and still haven't dug into one or two of the included expansions. We play with I&C, T&B, P&D, K&R, River 1 & 2 and the Mini Expansion. Great game but the more expansions you add, the longer the game gets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a copy of Cult in a rural town near the region where we live. I am wracking my brain where it was because there were a couple of other copies there. We will be going on a road trip in a couple of weeks. If a copy is still available I will geek mail you.

We play it in our set using creativity as 200 point markers, (not very creative - but useful), since we are in the 500 point range with several expansions!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard L
Australia
Woy Woy
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonw91 wrote:
Great game but the more expansions you add, the longer the game gets!

Yes, beware the curse of Carc expansions.

In family mode (2 kids & wife), we try to play with only base game and one expansion at most. We haven't played a full Big Box 3 game as yet, but regularly play Inns & Cathedrals or Traders & Builders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

A little late to the party but look for Graf, König und Konsorten. It can be found at a very reasonable price but I am given to understand that finding a reseller who will ship across the pond isn't all that easy.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.