William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O.K., first let me establish that this game is designed as a multiplayer experience and will always work best in that fashion....

That being said, it seems that you could make a somewhat acceptable mod to play, at least the campaign, solo(or two human hero players vs. an AI Overlord).

Here are my initial thoughts...
-With the campaign, using AI for monster movement and activations should be fairly simple, as the goals of each quest dictate(to a large extent), their reasonable actions.
-The trick will be Overlord card playing mechanisms which is difficult for an AI. With Command & Colors( avery different game but also one with a card mechanic), myself and others have had some success by drawing two cards and have the AI opponent use the best possible card of the two at that time. Would this be where one would begin with such a mod?

Again, knowing that this game will always be best with a human OL, hwere would you begin with making an AI one?

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Pietrangelo
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it would be too hard seeing as there are several overlord cards which interrupt actions and things like that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd need to make a custom AI card deck akin to the one used in the Gears of War board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Overlord cards can be helped along if you assume that the AI plays them as soon as a legal situation for their use that will have an effect occurs. The AI can draw twice as many cards as usual to make up for their suboptimal use.

Personally, the real stumbling block for the AI would be monster movement and behaviour. Since the objectives vary every mission, you'd need an AI segment custom made for every scenario. In addition, it's probably hard to have the AI evaluate when it needs to be aggressive and when it needs to be defensive, and when to use particular monster skills etc.

Maybe as a starting point, monsters could be dumb drones that move until towards the closest hero until they can attack, but forego the 1 attack per turn that monsters generally get. The exception would be the monsters flagged as quest-essential, which would follow a different script based on the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dippel
United States
Merrick
NY
flag msg tools
Commentary! The OverText
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the old-fashioned solo chess variant?
Play as each side and try to beat yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdippel71 wrote:

I think this is honestly the only way, unless you're willing to write to write specific operational guidelines for the monsters in each of the scenarios--otherwise, you'll just wind up making all the overlord's decisions anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Yeah, just play all sides.
Of courses knowledge pollution means the heroes *know* a certain trap is in hand instead of just being constantly paranoid about it but the end results are about the same.
Maybe develop the OL towards Warlord/Magus and toss traps over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To some extent, the OL cards are already designed to be separated. Frex, the Warrior cards (additional damage) mostly are played when a monster attacks.

You *could* use 70's video games AI: The game plays with more monsters (and OL cards) than a regular game.

Personally, I prefer "play both sides". That way, when you do play the Quest "to win", you will have some practice against a real opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
cdippel71 wrote:

I think this is honestly the only way, unless you're willing to write to write specific operational guidelines for the monsters in each of the scenarios--otherwise, you'll just wind up making all the overlord's decisions anyways.

Problem is. Its not solo. Its you playing against you. You will know when things are coming and everything.

For a real solo version you need something that can handle, or more likely, simulate, the decisions a OL would make during a play.

There are a few ways to do this. One could be the approach Race for the Galaxy uses wherein the game AI is essentially playing a slightly diffrent system than the players.
This can be done with either simple IF/THEN paramiters, or with a randomizer to keep the player on his or her toes.

The other method is to totally streamline the system to the point you are battling the monsters and the OL part plays no real factors in it. Or is boiled down to its barest essentials.

Theres likely other ways to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.