Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

HeroQuest» Forums » Variants

Subject: Objectives for Zargon like is Descent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that could save this game is the possibility to play competitively by giving victory conditions Zargon. This is currently the case for the game master in Descent. If Zargon fulfill his objectives before the heroes then he wins the game.

In order to make it playable, I think all rooms will have to be placed open and filled directly on the board so that zargon is able to move characters in the background. That might also mean place most doors open on the board.

Competetitve game play will solve so many problem I found in the original game:

- Omni trap search: Due to zargon objectives, players have a time limit and cannot search every square in the corridor.
- Omni movement: Movement dice are now essential because there is always monsters on the board that zargon can move (unless they are all dead, which will probably end the game.
- Door blocking: If players block the door with the barbarian and wait for monsters to attack, Zargon will simply continue to make their objective while the players are waiting in the door.

So far, it just seems a matter of adventure design. The only rule change I see is exposing the whole dungeon and allowing monsters to open doors. It is not really a good for secret passage. Else Zargon objectives will have to be made in a way that he does not need to move units not visible on the board.

Else it should not be that bad, it's like in zelda where you have the map but do not know where is the secret door to access the area you cannot reach. So you'll search surrounding rooms, which could be interesting enough even if you know where the target room is. Maybe some rooms with no monsters and only treasures could still stay hidden. This will give the players some elements for surprises. Some rooms like boos rooms could also stay hidden for surprise.

Maybe it could be possible to convert the original quest in competitive mode. Not sure if it could be done, but it might be easier to do than designing quest from scratch.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I'm pretty sure Toco will be along shortly to pitch for his "Advanced Quest," "Allied HeroQuest," which is pretty cool. Basically it combines HeroQuest with Advanced Heroquest to create a game something like Descent, and might go a long way towards giving the game experience you're looking for...
2 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Bobloblah

Which is a shame for those of us that don't have the hard-to-justify-the-ebay-purchase Warhammer Quest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Toco will be along shortly to pitch for his "Advanced Quest," which is pretty cool.


There is really somebody working on that? Cool! I can't wait to see the results. That would recycle my game. Also less work for me. I'll be glad to test and review.

Out of subject: Between 2 of the reply, there was an ad for amazon that sold the hero quest game at 392.71$ I am just surprised.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
galvornman wrote:
Re: Bobloblah

Which is a shame for those of us that don't have the hard-to-justify-the-ebay-purchase Warhammer Quest.

Well, there are two problems here:

1.) Nobody other than you mentioned Warhammer Quest; go read my post again.

2.) Toco's rework is actually called Allied HeroQuest (my bad), and it's already built. Just Google it.

Also, I can't believe
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

hasn't arrived to correct me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the website

http://www.toco.be/ahq/

The only problem is that I do not have advanced heroquest, I hope to be able to play with only the basic game.
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Have a look over the rules he's created, then. A lot of them could be adapted to what you're trying to do. Moreover, you don't really need a complete copy of Advanced Heroquest, you just need the tiles and counters (IIRC); they come up on eBay semi-frequently quite cheaply, particularly if you search the UK eBay site (which I'd recommend for any old GW-game purchases).
1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I rapidly checked the adventures and they use AHQ tiles. But If I have the time, I could adapt the adventure by using the HQ board while using the same objectives, nb of monsters, rooms and of course rules.

I'll see what I can do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Keep in mind that some of those are already basically adaptations of existing HeroQuest adventures - you could revert back to the original maps. The biggest thing that makes the game play like Descent, however, is the use of the "Threat Tokens" (from Advanced Heroquest) system for the GM/Zargon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes true, I could use the original game map which I have because I have both expansions. I would just need to stick the new player/Zargon objectives to the new map and design and print any missing components I do not have from AHQ.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobloblah wrote:
galvornman wrote:
Re: Bobloblah

Which is a shame for those of us that don't have the hard-to-justify-the-ebay-purchase Warhammer Quest.

Well, there are two problems here:

1.) Nobody other than you mentioned Warhammer Quest; go read my post again.

2.) Toco's rework is actually called Allied HeroQuest (my bad), and it's already built. Just Google it.

Also, I can't believe
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

hasn't arrived to correct me.


I wasn't getting my information from your post - I was pulling from memory, which was (erroneously) telling me that I needed a copy of warhammer quest.

Sorry about that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
galvornman wrote:
Bobloblah wrote:
galvornman wrote:
Re: Bobloblah

Which is a shame for those of us that don't have the hard-to-justify-the-ebay-purchase Warhammer Quest.

Well, there are two problems here:

1.) Nobody other than you mentioned Warhammer Quest; go read my post again.

2.) Toco's rework is actually called Allied HeroQuest (my bad), and it's already built. Just Google it.

Also, I can't believe
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

hasn't arrived to correct me.



I wasn't getting my information from your post - I was pulling from memory, which was (erroneously) telling me that I needed a copy of warhammer quest.

Sorry about that.

No worries! The fact that it's Advanced Heroquest instead of Warhammer Quest is really only better by degree - it's still out-of-print and not cheap.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you LIKE HeroQuest then you WANT Advanced Heroquest.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Knight
United States
Deltona
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:
If you LIKE HeroQuest then you WANT Advanced Heroquest.

unfortunately not all of us can afford advanced heroquest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen German versions that had normal prices. Shipping to US would be a killer unfortunatelly...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can adapt Allied Heroquest to any tiles that have rooms and corridors really. 2 square width corridors preferably.
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
while I was reading the replies you just have made, I saw this between the posts:

"HeroQuest on Amazon.ca CDN$ 750.16"

Seriously, 750$ for Hero Quest?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For a board game that sold 2 000 000 copies worldwide that price is a little bit over the top indeed.

PS: That "2 000 000" is not a typo! Two million indeed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the kick starter project finally worked?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lastknightleft wrote:
tocoking wrote:
If you LIKE HeroQuest then you WANT Advanced Heroquest.

unfortunately not all of us can afford advanced heroquest.


Fortunatley it's fairly trivial to make your own set, the most expensive thing being new minis.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.