Subject: People don't get yomi rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian mcelligott
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
Sick of hearing say this game is just rock paper scissors.
1. you have information about what your opponent is likely to play.
2. If two player throw an attack it is not a draw on attack will be faster than another.
3. Pattern recognition- through the course of the game you can make educated decisions based on your opponents style of play.

I played battelcon and it was fun but battlecon fans say that it is better because it has 22 characters to play- Ya with 7 cards per character. yomi has 52 and with a lot of work put into each card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds appropriate, people don't get the fighting games Yomi is based on, either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, some people don't get BattleCon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gondorwarrior wrote:

Then stop listening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gondorwarrior wrote:
1. you have information about what your opponent is likely to play.
2. If two player throw an attack it is not a draw on attack will be faster than another.
3. Pattern recognition- through the course of the game you can make educated decisions based on your opponents style of play.

I played battelcon and it was fun but battlecon fans say that it is better because it has 22 characters to play- Ya with 7 cards per character. yomi has 52 and with a lot of work put into each card.
I own both games, and I think Yomi is great, but I wouldn't recommend it. To me it is not worth the $100 price tag. Now I don't mean that in terms of physical components (which are high quality with great art), but in terms of the game itself. The experience I have with the game is just not worth $100. A deep but fast-paced card game doesn't make sense to most people at that price, at least initially.

BattleCON, on the other hand, has cheaper components, overall worse art, and fewer cards per character, but the price you pay for all of that is appropriate for the experience. It is a deep fast-paced card game and even after upgrading the stands and sleeving the cards, it is less than half the price of Yomi.

If Yomi had been made with crappier art and cheaper card and sold for a much lower price, it wouldn't be as nice, but people would find it more reasonable for what it is, a deep, fast-paced card game. For this reason, quality aside, I think BattleCON is the better bang for the buck for a large majority of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gondorwarrior wrote:

Could be worse. People could be saying it's just 10 poker decks . . .

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you broheem. I love yomi and hate it when people knock my favourite 2 player card game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gondorwarrior wrote:
Ya with 7 cards per character. yomi has 52 and with a lot of work put into each card.

Not 52. Only 13 cards. 4 copies of each card. And most of them are very similar to each other, whereas Battlecon cards are significantly varied.

It's also fairly presumptuous to imply that no work went into the BattleCon cards. Plenty of work has.

Obvious fanboy is fansquealing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's also fairly presumptuous to imply that no work went into the BattleCon cards. Plenty of work has.

I'm a big fan of both games. However, I do have to brace my new BattleCon players for the art. Going from Yomi to BattleCON is like going from dining at a 4-star restaurant to eating at McDonald's, except your eyes are your stomach. It's the worst art out of any game I own. I'm sorry, but it's true. Even the BattleCON designers seem to be aware of it, as they're really upping the quality of the art in more recent releases. Look at the "Alternate Costumes" art for example, or the new characters from the upcoming game. They don't have that "DeviantArt" look that Hikaru and Kallistar have.

I find Yomi and BattleCON to be pretty even overall. Yomi has better balance and is more polished, but BattleCON is 1/4 of the price and offers double the characters and way more methods of playing and changing the game.

Keep in mind, this has NOTHING to do with the gameplay. They're completely different in that respect, and not even worth discussing in the same breath. If you like fighting games, you should really own both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both Yomi and BattleCON...but what the hell is this with knocking BattleCON's art? BattleCON's art is terrific--as is Yomi's.

"Ugliest art of any game I own?" What, do you own two different games, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Ugliest art of any game I own" is ridiculous, but I think Yomi's art is clearly better. To the extent that art is better anyway. The colors pop more, the characters are more distinct, there's more poses, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve zhang
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love yomi but I can see why some people don't. Just like I love my wife but I do not expect everyone else loves her as much as I do.

It's the same. Let's just agree to disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clwe
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
clembo2021 wrote:
I'm a big fan of both games. However, I do have to brace my new BattleCon players for the art. Going from Yomi to BattleCON is like going from dining at a 4-star restaurant to eating at McDonald's, except your eyes are your stomach.

Agreed - particularly the comment about Deviantart-quality artwork. It's a mish-mash of styles (and varyling levels of artistic skill) that looks awkward at best. This, I suspect, is largely down to the way the character design was handled in the game - lots of people stepping in with cool concepts for characters, but not all of them very good at illustrating said characters. I would have loved to see better-realised illustrations (and, of course, different ones for each character attack/move), but that would have required a lot more time and money. I think Sirlin had to wait for 2-3 years for his hired artists to do all the art for Yomi, in-between all of their other work.

In terms of how they play, I prefer Yomi...but not by much at all. Battlecon has more variety in it's characters and gameplay styles (partly helped by having a spatial aspect where range and popsitioning is important), which makes it a lot of fun to try out all the different characters. Yomi, on the other hand, is better balanced and IMO has more painful decisions regarding hand management: can I afford to get rid of my last block card as part of a devasting combo? Is it worth using this card for it's basic action instead of its ability text? etc etc.

Going back on track...anybody who claims (either game) is just RPS hasn't played them enough. But then, some people just aren't into bluffing and predicting what your opponent may do next. The latter is strange, though...I mean, plenty of more popular games (like Agricola, Puerto Rico, RfTG etc) require you to do this in order to gain an edge. Try playing those games in isolation and you're not going to win much at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Yomi and BattleCON. Having said that, I don't think BattleCON is better than Yomi because it has more characters, although that doesn't hurt. I think BattleCON is better than Yomi because the spatial element adds so much to the game, it manages to include tough choices about which cards you'll have access to in the future without any randomness, and the characters play more differently. I prefer the yomi in BattleCON due to the inclusion of a spatial element, and I feel more in control.

You are overstating the difference in cards between characters in Yomi and BattleCON. As Jayson noted, there are actually only 13 different cards (well, 14 if you include the joker) in Yomi for each character. One of the cool things about BattleCON is how it manages to do so much with so few cards. You don't need a whole poker deck for each character. Also, the difference between 2 cards of the same type in Yomi (attacks, throws, dodges, or blocks) is relatively small, while the difference between styles in BattleCON are huge. Two strikes by the same character can be completely different depending on which style is used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I love Yomi.

However, I'm sick of fans of the game communicating with scant regard for English language conventions.

This isn't just grammatical fascism. I really don't understand what you're saying half the time.

The porting of the fighting game community to Yomi hurts it from having wider appeal IMO.

Valerie's boobs + whiny fan 'squealing'= turnoff.

It hurts me, because Yomi is truly innovative (whereas I find BattleCON too much of a fighting game simulation-why not just play a fighting game?) in how it uses cards.

However, the BattleCON fans seem to be just a bit more decent overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my take on these two games. I have not played Battlecon, but I've read a lot about the game and understand the general flow of the gameplay. I do admire the designer's humble roots and his commitment to gameplay even if the production values aren't up to pay as Yomi.

I think BattleCON is a harder game to understand. Yomi has 54 cards sure, so isn't it more complex? Well, I wouldn't really say so. 54 cards is a lot, but it's basically boiled down to attack, throw and block/dodge. It's really a 3 tier system to understand.

With BattleCON, you don't really get that simple structure. You get I think 6 mod cards and 6 bases I think. That's about 36 combinations. Well of course you only have 4 of each in your hand since 2 are on the table... so I suppose 16 choices. But then you have to think about what the other opponent has.

I own the big edition of Yomi, which has 10 characters. I don't really know all of them that well. But when I play against people, I don't really fret because I find I can do okay as long as I understand the 3 option system. With BattleCON, I feel that not only would I have to understand the 4 bases down, but I have to understand the other characters modifiers... 4 isn't too bad, but then there are 17 other characters as well. Not only that, but some characters have unique abilities that I have to jiggle in my head.

So basically, in the end I find Yomi to have lots of variations on a relatively simple 3 tier system, while BattleCON really has to have you memorize 64 combinations that are equally valid. The 3 tier system helps me have a relative familiarity with any character I run with. So in my opening hand, I feel like the most I have to deal with is 3 choices. Not only that, but I also feel like my opponent really only has at most 3 choices. It's nice and simple. With BattleCON, there is the sense that I have to deal with 16 equally valid combination on turn 1, which is pretty overwhelming for a new person. Then I have to factor in the possibilities about what my opponent can do... 16 more options.

And while I have Yomi, it doesn't get played too much, along with my other 2 player games: Mr. Jack, Summoner Wars, Labyrinth, Heroscape, etc. So if I were to play a 2 player game, I'd need something a bit more easier to grasp and I find for me, that's Yomi.

And it's not even an argument over the production quality in both games. BattleCON uses the same art for each character for each of their mod cards. The art is very inconsistent and the quality is okay for games, but not excellent. Yomi has a ton of DIFFERENT artwork that is consistent for each of their characters. That is the key word here. And I consider this artwork absolutely wonderful... very professional. I'm not saying though that artwork makes the game however. I can see though that this drove up the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.