United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(cross-posted from CSW)

A hex contains only one type of terrain. Graphical anomalies are to be ignored when determining which type. The main anomalies here are the grayish coastline graphics mentioned in the rules.

Think of it this way: If a white hex doesn't have trees, it isn't woods. If it doesn't have one or more buildings, it isn't village. That leaves frozen lake.

Here are some examples of LOS. Recall that all terrain types other than frozen lake (the other types being woods, suo, village) block LOS. For these examples, we'll assume it's a daylight turn with LOS out to the maximum of 5 hexes.

The Finnish bicycle company (3/PPP7; light blue) can see the Finnish infantry due north of him (9/3/JR16; the guy cut off by the edge of the screenshot) because his LOS passes through 3 frozen lake hexes. The light gray coastline art in these hexes is for graphical flair and ignored.

The Soviet HMG Company on Välisaari Island can see the Finnish HMG unit (MG/ErP9) two hexes away in the village because the intervening hex is frozen lake. Again, ignore the light gray coastline art.

The Soviet mortars on Kotisaari Island (far right) cannot see the reduced Finnish infantry company (8/3/JR16) south of the village because Välisaari Island, which is woods terrain, is blocking. However the Soviet mortars could use the HMGs on Välisaari (or either AT Gun unit, for that matter) as the spotter. The mortars could self-spot if firing at the Finnish infantry company at the far north edge of the screenshot.

The Finnish mortars just south of the village can't see any enemy units and will need to use a spotter.

Now here's where hex spines come into play...

The Soviet infantry company (9/3/609) on the ice at lower right cannot see the reduced Finnish infantry company (8/3/JR16) because the woods hex containing the bicycle unit is blocking his LOS. However it CAN see the Finnish HMG unit (MG/ErP9) just to the north because the LOS passes to the right of the relevant hex spines and not through the woods.

Note that there's an illustrated example of LOS in the rule book which addresses blocking terrain along both sides of a hex spine.

Let me know if you run into any specific issues. I'm happy to address them, or provide more examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cowen
United States
Union Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark, appreciate the time taken to post this good example.

If a hex contains just a small bit of woods art (e.g. the frozen lake hex just to the south of the Soviet HMG unit on Valisaari island, or the frozen lake hex just to the north of the Finnish bicycle unit, or the Suo hex just to the south of the Finnish mortar unit), we ignore that woods art?

(Just want to be clear - this was the only query we had when a friend and I played the first day scenario).

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, Jim. When a small amount of terrain art bleeds over into an adjacent hex, ignore it. Per 5.0 Terrain "A hex is considered to consist entirely of the terrain type which occupies the majority of the hex."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Mark, I appreciate the clarification.

Regards,

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification regarding LOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:
the Suo hex just to the south of the Finnish mortar unit), we ignore that woods art?

Jim

I am just learning the game and want to make sure about LOS.
Your saying that the Suo hex just to the south of the Finnish mortar unit does not block LOS?

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From reading the rules I am sure the Suo hex terrain below the Finnish mortar unit is not ignored.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, suo blocks LOS. Frozen lake is the only terrain type that does not block LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.