Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Krause
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Like many, I wish this was 2 players. But, I took a look at the rules, and I see no indication of why it can't just be played with 2 players. I understand the drafting bit may be a little clunky, and it would probably get intense and cutthroat incredibly quickly. But, I think it would make the decisions you make more tactical, in terms of what cards you're passing, because you know the heat's coming only at you.

Idk. I know it would be like playing 7 Wonders with 2 people (which I've never done), but there's no mechanic that strictly limits the number of players to 3 (Like Battlestar or Werewolf there literally can't be 2 people because of the element of deduction).

Anyone who's played this have an opinion?

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my normal gaming buddy played a 2 player game tonight which was very easy to implement and was a good bit of fun too. One of us will post this in the next day or two.

We got through most of a co-op version as well. We need to play test this variant a bit more before posting.

I am surprised the author and manufacturer didn't, at the very least, offer a 2 player variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
Esuark06 wrote:
there's no mechanic that strictly limits the number of players to 3

There are a couple cards that do things like moving an attack from one player to another. As you can never attack yourself, this would only work with 3 or more players.

You're right in that it wouldn't seem to break the game terribly, but it would decrease the strategy some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akaru Vailen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I know this is an old thread, but my wife n I just got this game and were able to play it just the two of us. we tried with the 3 card pass, but it seemed to limit what we could do each turn and the same cards kept getting swapped. 2nd game, we tried swapping just 1 card and it allowed us to each do a lot more per turn AND hit the end game trigger. we're gonna try swapping 2 next, but I think the 1 swap will be best.

there are a few cards that are wonky for two:
- starting locations = each got two
- chameleon arch = you can change the target of you're opponent's attack to a different location you own(ie a better defended location, or one with or without a tardis token).
- darvos = you can move a dalek attack from one of your locations to one of your opponent's and combine him with the attack. (basically they get bored and move on to the next planet) you do not get a tardis token for "freeing" your location, as the doctor wasn't the reason they left.
- cyberking = see davros, but for cybermen.

we had fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vicente
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried these variants you commented.
The way I see it, the game cannot be played with only 2 players because:
- Each player is limited to attack only 5 locations (5 dalek counters)
- After your opponent has attacked 5 of your locations, if you don't defend them, any location you play will be ensured VP at the end of the game.
- Therefore the game ends being a race to play more locations than your opponent. Which relies in mere luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.