Popular Tags: [View All]
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I finally managed to get my first win at Arkham Horror.  I've attempted it 3 times before, twice with only one investigator and once with two. Every time the GOO (2 were Yig, i can't remember who the other was) has awoken and given me a good thrashing, but finally with a team of four investigators I managed to drive Azathoth away with 6 seals.

My team consisted of Mandy Thompson, Joe Diamond, Darrell Simmons and Carolyn Fern. Joe picked up a blessing from the starting Mythos card, and it lasted for about half the game. Darrell lost his retainer pretty quickly and didn't hold onto the second one he acquired for long, so money was a bit short as I forgot they could sell monster trophies for cash! The team managed to keep the monster count pretty low and seal 4 gates fairly quickly using just clues as the only Elder Sign they came across was too expensive for the shopper at the time. A lot of mythos cards were coming out for the sealed locations which was helpful. However, things started to go a bit downhill from there.

Suddenly the mythos deck changed, out came "Good Work Undone", threatening to remove all the seals, so several clues were wasted on that, though they never got rid of it completely. Also, all the gates started opening in the same 3 locations (unvisited isle, unnamable, and independence square) as did all the clues, and nobody could get past the swarm of monsters to close them. Carolyn finally managed to close a gate at the bottom of the map, and then there was a mad hunt for clues as there were non left on the map and none appearing. Eventually Darrell managed to pick up an Elder Sign (3 of the were the last cards in the deck) and passed it on to Carolyn, and Mandy managed to trade a gate token for clues after picking up two, and with her research materials two of the team were capable of sealing the last gate required.

Independence square was picked as the easiest to get to, so Joe went in to clear the way taking out one monster on the gate but dying to the second. Darrell managed to kill of the second one and was sucked into Another Dimension. Carolyn followed as Darrell had no way to seal the gate, and Mandy joined them a turn later. Darrell was defeated by an appearing monster so ended up lost in time and space, but Carolyn managed to gain sanity in her first encounter and evade a monster in the second, allowing her to return to Arkham first and seal the gate with her Elder Sign. Mandy wasn't trapped, as there was another gate to Another Dimension, but with 6 seals Azathoth was driven away, so it didn't really matter!
The final score was 21, which as that was the same score as the example in the rules I didn't think it too bad. Next time I might pick the GOO and investigators randomly rather than based on the win stats published in other threads I found on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iain_benson wrote:
Today I finally managed to get my first win at Arkham Horror.  I've attempted it 3 times before, twice with only one investigator and once with two. Every time the GOO (2 were Yig, i can't remember who the other was) has awoken and given me a good thrashing, but finally with a team of four investigators I managed to drive Azathoth away with 6 seals.

My team consisted of Mandy Thompson, Joe Diamond, Darrell Simmons and Carolyn Fern. Joe picked up a blessing from the starting Mythos card, and it lasted for about half the game. Darrell lost his retainer pretty quickly and didn't hold onto the second one he acquired for long, so money was a bit short as I forgot they could sell monster trophies for cash! The team managed to keep the monster count pretty low and seal 4 gates fairly quickly using just clues as the only Elder Sign they came across was too expensive for the shopper at the time. A lot of mythos cards were coming out for the sealed locations which was helpful. However, things started to go a bit downhill from there.

Suddenly the mythos deck changed, out came "Good Work Undone", threatening to remove all the seals, so several clues were wasted on that, though they never got rid of it completely. Also, all the gates started opening in the same 3 locations (unvisited isle, unnamable, and independence square) as did all the clues, and nobody could get past the swarm of monsters to close them. Carolyn finally managed to close a gate at the bottom of the map, and then there was a mad hunt for clues as there were non left on the map and none appearing. Eventually Darrell managed to pick up an Elder Sign (3 of the were the last cards in the deck) and passed it on to Carolyn, and Mandy managed to trade a gate token for clues after picking up two, and with her research materials two of the team were capable of sealing the last gate required.

Independence square was picked as the easiest to get to, so Joe went in to clear the way taking out one monster on the gate but dying to the second. Darrell managed to kill of the second one and was sucked into Another Dimension. Carolyn followed as Darrell had no way to seal the gate, and Mandy joined them a turn later. Darrell was defeated by an appearing monster so ended up lost in time and space, but Carolyn managed to gain sanity in her first encounter and evade a monster in the second, allowing her to return to Arkham first and seal the gate with her Elder Sign. Mandy wasn't trapped, as there was another gate to Another Dimension, but with 6 seals Azathoth was driven away, so it didn't really matter!
The final score was 21, which as that was the same score as the example in the rules I didn't think it too bad. Next time I might pick the GOO and investigators randomly rather than based on the win stats published in other threads I found on BGG.

Congrats on your first victory! Sounded like a good game.

Give it a try with three investigators. I like to randomly pick the GOO and two investigators. Then I chose an investigator to compliment the randomly picked investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Konior
Australia
Swan View
WA
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
A lot of mythos cards were coming out for the sealed locations which was helpful.

I find it the other way around... once you have a couple gates out and they're causing a whole bunch of monster bursts each turn, it'll start tipping the terror track up one almost every turn, and then the skies darken, cats lay with dogs, etc etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cody_au wrote:
Quote:
A lot of mythos cards were coming out for the sealed locations which was helpful.

I find it the other way around... once you have a couple gates out and they're causing a whole bunch of monster bursts each turn, it'll start tipping the terror track up one almost every turn, and then the skies darken, cats lay with dogs, etc etc.

I was just playing with the base game as I don't own any expansions, so no monster bursts to worry about thankfully. Once a gate is sealed it stays sealed, barring any stupid rumours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.