Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"Of what use is a philosopher that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings?" -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
We *finally* got this game to the table and managed to get through one turn today, with lots of rules explanation and discussion. We simply haven't been able to get three or four players together so we decided the heck with it, let's learn it two player. Being real gamers, we started with the campaign game, of course!

So, I'm the Hittites. My army is small, my territory is small, my player enemy (Egypt) is VP- and tribute-rich, and my neutral neighbor has an army twice the size of my own.

So I played a 3-card as the first play of the game to move the entire neutral Mittani army to Egypt's walled city, Kadesh. 16 units, so it takes all three leaders - no problem. They smash the Egyptian force there, and eventually make the province neutral by the end of the first turn.

Is it really the intent of the game to allow this? Granted, it meant I was limited in my own expansion as I didn't invade Mittani territory, but he got beat up pretty bad.

He didn't have a 3-card to spare to activate that army himself. I could only activate it every other round, plus once at the end of the five rounds, but it was enough to do some damage to him. It just seems a bit harsh to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Riediger
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Alex crossing the Jaxartes... tricky endeavour.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I believe it is the only way the Hatti can do anything to harm Egypt. I believe the campaign is way too poorly balanced for a two player game, since the Hatti needs too many activations to conquer the land to the west, which the Egypt can't reach anyway. Apart from that, the VPs the Egypt gains every turn are so many more than the Hatti can hope for, that it really takes a lot of luck for the Hatti to win that game.

I would recommend other scenarios for a two player game. But what you did does not only seem legal to me, but one of the best things you could have done.

Cheers,

Olav
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.