Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Myck Kabongo
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As the runner:

1. Be very aggressive in the early game. In turns 1 and 2, you need to run on R&D and HQ as much as possible. Force the corp to rez that ICE! After they do, grab a breaker as quick as you can and keep pounding R&D and HQ while it is cheap to do so. You should be scoring an agenda or two in the first few turns with regularity. Otherwise, you probably aren't being aggressive enough.

2. In the midgame, stay aggressive and force the Corp to rez ice. Don't just let the Corp pile up bits so that they can pull off some their plans. Stay aggressive and force the Corp to make difficult decisions like whether to rez a piece of ICE on HQ or pay for those Project Consultants next turn.

As the Corp:

1. Bluff, Bluff, Bluff! Lay down ambushes when they're released. You don't need an ambush card to pull off a nice bluff. Lay down unrezzed nodes at crucial moment to make the runner think that they're agenda. Put advancement counters on your advanceable assets. Bluffing the runner into making a huge 10+ bit run only to find something besides an agenda can be a game-breaker. Just like the runner wants to put you to decisions, you want to do the same to the runner; "Is that an agenda or not? Do I blow all of my bits making a run to find out?"

-------------------------------

Just a few friendly strategy tips from an old school player. You would be shocked how many players gave up on NR after a few plays because they thought it was imbalanced in favor of the corp. Inevitably, these players weren't being nearly aggressive enough in the early game. Those early scores make a huge difference.

-------------------------------
EDIT: Embarrassing rules fail on my part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyckKabongo wrote:
Assuming the rules from original NR carry over, you can put advancements counters on assets like the Adonis Campaign to lure the runner into thinking that it is an agenda.

Since I think I got corrected on this way back when, where in the rules does it state that a non-Agenda card can be advanced even if it has no text stating that it can?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MyckKabongo wrote:
Assuming the rules from original NR carry over, you can put advancements counters on assets like the Adonis Campaign to lure the runner into thinking that it is an agenda.

This is incorrect, nodes (assets) that were advancable explicitly stated that on the card. (i.e. those that didn't state that could not be advanced) This will likely be the same in Android: Netrunner, though I suppose until we see the rules there's no saying.

Thanks for sharing the tips though!

*Edit* I'm slow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lindsay
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
bhz1 wrote:
MyckKabongo wrote:

Since I think I got corrected on this way back when, where in the rules does it state that a non-Agenda card can be advanced even if it has no text stating that it can?

You can't. You could only advance nodes if they indicated it was allowed.

Netrunner wrote:
Occasionally nodes can be advanced; this will be indicated on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more tip I've heard just by browsing the forums.

Runners: Keep your hand secret! If you don't absolutely have to put something down, keep it hidden, because that's the only thing the corp doesn't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
argus88 wrote:
MyckKabongo wrote:

This is incorrect, nodes (assets) that were advancable explicitly stated that on the card. (i.e. those that didn't state that could not be advanced) This will likely be the same in Android: Netrunner, though I suppose until we see the rules there's no saying.

Thanks for sharing the tips though!

*Edit* I'm slow...

Edit: I can't find it anywhere so I'm probably thinking about something I read about the original NR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyckKabongo wrote:
Just a few friendly strategy tips from an old school player. You would be shocked how many players gave up on NR after a few plays because they thought it was imbalanced in favor of the corp. Inevitably, these players weren't being nearly aggressive enough in the early game. Those early scores make a huge difference.

Basic A:NR Advantages, defined in terms of Twilight Struggle (and all from 10+ years of memory, so bear with me):

Early War: Advantage-Runner. The Corp has to hope for cheap, effective ice early in the game, else a Runner with one decent codebreaker will tear his HQ and R&D to shreds. Early War ends when the Corp has successful defenses in place around his/her core assets (HQ and R&D) and has enough money on hand to begin building out secondary servers. The Runner should do all s/he can to extend this advantage as long as possible; if s/he has cards that allow for the destruction of non-trashable items, this is the perfect time to trash some ice before it ever hits the table. Above all else, if the Runner doesn't liberate any Agenda points on the run, assuming they're running successfully, they should not panic. Keep your cool. This is poker, not Risk, and you've got to be willing to lose a few hands in order to win the table.

Mid-War: Advantage-Corp. In the mid-game, the advantage tends to flip back to the Corp. Between quick agendas, honeypots, and money-generating campaigns, the Corp has the time/money to establish defensive positions on all fronts while the Runner scrambles for the time/money to get codebreakers and other resources into play. The Corp has two motives in this stage: Prepare for the end-game, and establish psychological dominance over the runner. Mindgames, traces/tags, any resource-eliminating power... flex your muscle now. If the Corp plays the mid-game correctly, the Runner should feel the struggle of EVERY credit they earn, and the Corp should take great pleasure in destroying their goods as soon as they hit the table.

Late War: Advantage-Time(Runner)/Money(Corp). As the game progresses and players approach their seven, there will come a time where one player has the clear power of the purse. Make your big play as soon as you have enough resources to successfully make your move and to protect your backside if something fails; if left unguarded, a cold-war scenario will emerge and both sides will be able to accumulate all the money they need, and that advantage defaults slightly to the Corp (who, at this point, should have all the ice they need to protect and advance any remaining agendas). Alternately, as each deck dwindles the consequences for game-ending situations escalate, and a savvy head will pick up on opportunities to force cards from the Runner's hand or the Corp's R&D server; the slight advantage here goes to the Runner. This back-and-forth of time v. money is where the Netrunner "who's the cat and who's the mouse?" feeling comes to life, and your ultimate success in the end game will depend on how hard you pressed your respective advantage earlier in the game.

---

10 more days, give or take.

Cannot. Wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyckKabongo wrote:
Assuming the rules from original NR carry over, you can put advancements counters on assets like the Adonis Campaign to lure the runner into thinking that it is an agenda. Bluffing the runner into making a huge 10+ bit run only to find something besides an agenda can be a game-breaker.

PLEASE correct this in the original post. The Corp can only advance Agenda and cards that explicitely state that they are advancable. To advance an unrezzed Adonis Campaign would be a DQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.